Author Topic: Lifeboats/Davits Removal 2016 and Discussion After That  (Read 43881 times)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: Lifeboats/Davits Removal 2016 and Discussion After That
« Reply #30 on: Aug 30, 2016, 09:05 PM »
I just think everyone is jumping to conclusion lifeboats and davits removed yes its sad and hearbreaking but we have no clue what they planning,just lets give DP World the benefit of the doubt.

And I wish peope would stop calling those workers onboard m**** or what so ever they are qualified workers and working under extreme conditions.They deserve the same respect as her service crew,the V-Ship crew or the Ukrainian crew.

« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2016, 09:44 PM by Davina »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #31 on: Aug 30, 2016, 09:18 PM »
BBC might run a story after I alerted a couple of key people...

I've given them Louis' contact details.

Trouble is when people keep shouting fire, there comes a stage no one believes it..
Can you imagine how this story might be treated.."QE2 lifeboats removed" Hardly earth breaking news.. ::)

Perhaps if the story ran QE2 being dismantled it might get some response. It seems any previous news features have bought no comment from Dubai... And really why should it, THEY bought QE2. They have told us really nothing from day one.
No one still really knows what the workers are doing inside the ship, is that not more important.?

This could and might very well turn round and bite Cunard quite squarely on their arse.. >:(
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #32 on: Aug 30, 2016, 09:23 PM »
I just think everyone is jumping to conclusion lifeboats and davits removed yes its sad and hearbreaking but we have no clue what they planning,just lets give DP World the benefit of the doubt.

And I wish peope would stop calling those workers onboard morons or what so ever they are qualified workers and working under extreme conditions.They deserve the same respect as her service crew,the V-Ship crew or the Ukrainian crew.

I am glad to report that doing a search for the word "Moron" this word has not been used in relation to the workers on this discussion forum. 

Some information from the owners on the plans for the ship would be useful.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #33 on: Aug 30, 2016, 09:26 PM »

No one still really knows what the workers are doing inside the ship, is that not more important.?

I do but for the protection of my contact I cant say nothing

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #34 on: Aug 30, 2016, 09:27 PM »
Nothing I ever say is directed at anyone working on board.

They do what they're told.

I'm always referring to the managers and decision makers.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #35 on: Aug 30, 2016, 09:28 PM »
I am glad to report that doing a search for the word "Moron" this word has not been used in relation to the workers on this discussion forum. 

Some information from the owners on the plans for the ship would be useful.

The word was not used here but from some members on Facebook

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #36 on: Aug 30, 2016, 09:36 PM »
30th August 2016 A close up of QE2 with the missing davits,photo taken this late afternoon,the guy was be stay un named

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #37 on: Aug 30, 2016, 09:57 PM »
Can we only imagine if the 88 guests viewing this topic entered photos in the the competition...  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

But that is a stunning if somber photo of QE2... Davina  :-X
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #38 on: Aug 30, 2016, 10:06 PM »
30th August 2016 A close up of QE2 with the missing davits,photo taken this late afternoon,the guy was be stay un named

Hi Louis,
Thank you for the update.
If, and it may be a big If, QE2's Owner is planning to use her as a hotel, or possible a residence of some sort, do you think  it could be that taking down both the tenders and davits has been done so that views from her 'Penthouse' suites and public room windows as well as from the open decking on the Boat Deck can be clear of an obstructed  view?
Rosie
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2016, 10:08 PM by Twynkle »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #39 on: Aug 30, 2016, 10:39 PM »
The word was not used here but from some members on Facebook

Our moderation and courtesy has always been better here than in general on Facebook, I'd rather not be trying to moderate Facebook from here too!

I'm sorry, removing the lifeboats and davits is a mistake. She had them for forty years. They are part of her famous profile. They are part of the charm of walking on her boat deck  They are part of the essence of the ocean liner. It's a serious error of judgment I tell you.

Look at ss Rotterdam and how carefully she was handled. Then look at the acknowledged mistakes with irreversible structural changes to queen Mary.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #40 on: Aug 30, 2016, 10:45 PM »
That last photo shows just how much her profile has changed. She has completely lost her character with the removal of the lifeboats, davits and associated gear. The extent of the removal surely and sadly has to confirm it is permanent.

The lifeboats were an integral part of her and she looks forlorn without them.

Our photos of her in service are now becoming even more important in keeping the legend alive.

Offline holynougat

« Reply #41 on: Aug 31, 2016, 07:15 AM »
Oh dear, this latest photo is quite depressing - unless of course new davits and boats are going to be fitted.
The davits were pretty rotten 10 years ago, so they did need replacement and would certainly have been replaced in a life extension program, but I don't think that is what is going on here.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #42 on: Aug 31, 2016, 08:58 AM »
Oh dear, this latest photo is quite depressing - unless of course new davits and boats are going to be fitted.
The davits were pretty rotten 10 years ago, so they did need replacement and would certainly have been replaced in a life extension program, but I don't think that is what is going on here.

That's interesting, thanks. Ten years ago they were 19 years old by my reckoning...? Why so rotten?

Offline Mermaid

« Reply #43 on: Aug 31, 2016, 09:04 AM »
Quite a number of the davits were removed when the ship was in a refit in Germany. This was because the foundations of the davits had rotted with rust.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #44 on: Aug 31, 2016, 10:58 AM »
Hi Mermaid
Thank you for the info.
Is there any chance you know the date of that refit - was it at B & V?

Simply as a matter of interest, I've been trying to find a way to re-access the Lloyds Assessment that as Rob knows, is now inaccessible via the original link.

Very fortunately, Bob posted pages of it here post #44
"My eyes are dim - I cannot see etc"
Please might it be possible for someone with good vision to tell more about a) the date of report and b) whether the ?winches? mentioned are relevant to the Davits?
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1879.msg55713.html#msg55713
Many thanks
Rosie
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2016, 11:13 AM by Twynkle »