Author Topic: Lifeboats/Davits Removal 2016 and Discussion After That  (Read 43346 times)

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: Lifeboats/Davits Removal 2016 and Discussion After That
« Reply #120 on: Oct 22, 2017, 08:54 PM »
Starting to look promising but I disagree with the lifeboats. Perhaps three midship lifeboats port and starboard with the decks from boat deck up extended fore and aft to full-beam would be a compromise.

That would ruin her sleek lines I'm afraid.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline dellboy

« Reply #121 on: Oct 22, 2017, 09:02 PM »
Ok, same as above three lifeboats midship with the superstructure as it is or sundeck extended as balconies.
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2017, 09:05 PM by dellboy »
QE2 Story the go-to place for all things QE2

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #122 on: Oct 22, 2017, 09:13 PM »
They could build “faux” lifeboats..
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #123 on: Oct 22, 2017, 10:36 PM »
I personally think all or nothing (as they have done) is the best way as any compromise will spoil her sleek lines as it will just not look right.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #124 on: Oct 22, 2017, 10:45 PM »
Quite a few older ferries have had some of their lifeboats and davits removed for several reasons, as well as some older cruise ships - and they never look quite right in terms of their lines as they were designed with a full complement of lifeboats/tenders and davits. That's why I think a compromise would spoil QE2's appearance unnecessarily. Anyway we're starting to go off topic since this topic is for factual photos and discussion of the ship. Can mods make a separate topic for this? It's an interesting discussion to have.

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #125 on: Oct 22, 2017, 11:17 PM »
She needs the lifeboats to provide shade.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #126 on: Oct 22, 2017, 11:25 PM »
She needs the lifeboats to provide shade.

No she doesnt it

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #127 on: Oct 22, 2017, 11:32 PM »
No she doesnt it

I tell you what.  Having stood on that deck in Dubai, they were blooming useful!  I pretty much ran from one to the next for shade.  I saw the same thing on the Med - the shady seats under the lifeboats were the most sought after.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #128 on: Oct 22, 2017, 11:37 PM »
Probably also depends on the person, are they wearing sunscreen? are they wearing appropriate clothes (sun hat etc.?). I would hazard a guess that the locals in Dubai are used to their climate and they wouldn't need the lifeboats for the great shade they used to offer (I remember that on my several Med trips).

Offline Roy Warrender

« Reply #129 on: Oct 23, 2017, 11:22 AM »
Some years ago My late wife and I were in Cyprus early December we were in shorts & tee shirts vocals were wearing Winter coats , saying how cold it was Getting

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #130 on: Oct 23, 2017, 02:12 PM »
I tell you what.  Having stood on that deck in Dubai, they were blooming useful!  I pretty much ran from one to the next for shade.  I saw the same thing on the Med - the shady seats under the lifeboats were the most sought after.

Rob - Yes!
Not only could they protect people enjoying the Boat Deck for views etc, and shelter from the high sun - they could also afford some protection in the now exposed areas against the inevitable grim dusty, sandy winds. 
I wonder how much additional protection against windy (as well as sunny) conditions her open decks, balconies etc may need....
All the open decks at the stern, as well as the fo'c'stle/ foreedeck will be exposed....

They could build “faux” lifeboats..

This Ship Needs her Own tenders - certainly not Faux / Fake ones - or fake anything else for that matter :)
There is absolutely no reason (other than a few UAE$) why they can't be re-installed - so, new davits? Yes.
New tenders, lifeboats, and FRBs -  NO!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #131 on: Oct 23, 2017, 04:38 PM »
Some photos taken in September/October 2017 thanks to Gareth Brown

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #132 on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:07 AM »
Rob - Yes!
Not only could they protect people enjoying the Boat Deck for views etc, and shelter from the high sun - they could also afford some protection in the now exposed areas against the inevitable grim dusty, sandy winds. 
I wonder how much additional protection against windy (as well as sunny) conditions her open decks, balconies etc may need....
All the open decks at the stern, as well as the fo'c'stle/ foreedeck will be exposed....

This Ship Needs her Own tenders - certainly not Faux / Fake ones - or fake anything else for that matter :)
There is absolutely no reason (other than a few UAE$) why they can't be re-installed - so, new davits? Yes.
New tenders, lifeboats, and FRBs -  NO!

Each davit was unique given the load it was to carry, the type of lifeboat/tender it held, and where it was situated on the boat deck. It would be very expensive to remake them and then maintain the replica's. Dubai will not go to that expense on something that'd be lost on most people. Expense of maintenance of the albeit now static systems purely for safety reasons was one of the reasons the lifeboats, tenders and davits were removed. As much as I hate the fact the lifeboats, tenders, and davits were removed as I think her appearance has been spoilt, I can now see why it was done besides supposedly needing more event space.

I do agree that QE2 does not need anything fake onboard as that will spoil her.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #133 on: Oct 24, 2017, 09:26 PM »
I do agree that QE2 does not need anything fake onboard as that will spoil her.

There might well be enough of that on QE2 with her remodelling or remastering or whever the heck they are calling it...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.