Author Topic: QE2 Get Together (on board Queen Victoria World Cruise 2017).  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Michelle Penwarden

We are booked for the full World Cruise on QV starting in January 2017.  Would any one be interested in having a get together to celebrate the QE2 during that cruise.  We enjoyed such an event on QV on the world cruise in 2014, and arranged a small gathering ourselves on QE last September/October.  We were fortunate that a former Captain of QE2 was on board.  Unfortunately I cannot remember his name.  He was travelling with his wife and sister and it was a pleasure to speak with them and he kindly gave a short talk about his time serving on QE2.

It would be lovely to meet with other guests who loved QE2 as much as we did.

« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2016, 02:02 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: QE2 Get Together (on board Queen Victoria World Cruise 2017).
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2016, 02:16 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Michelle, sounds good!  And lucky you doing a full world cruise, its on my bucket list, but I think its in the "not realistically achievable" bucket unfortunately!

Sounds like you could organise a few events throughout the world cruise, as people come and go?

There are a number of former QE2 officers and crew on board QV that we could get in touch with too...

I've edited your subject for this topic so more people can find it.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2016, 12:15 PM »
We are booked for the full World Cruise on QV starting in January 2017.  Would any one be interested in having a get together to celebrate the QE2 during that cruise.  We enjoyed such an event on QV on the world cruise in 2014, and arranged a small gathering ourselves on QE last September/October.  We were fortunate that a former Captain of QE2 was on board.  Unfortunately I cannot remember his name.  He was travelling with his wife and sister and it was a pleasure to speak with them and he kindly gave a short talk about his time serving on QE2.

It would be lovely to meet with other guests who loved QE2 as much as we did.

Request to see the Officer's Wardroom on QV, there's a wall of plaques dedicated to the QE2. (And one from the QE2 Story)

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2016, 12:37 PM »
Here is the very plaque  :)
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Online Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2016, 04:01 PM »
Hi Michelle  - And Welcome!

Great to hear that you are booked on Queen Victoria's Worldie
We did the same in 2014, and a great time was had by all - particularly at the QE2 Get Together I'd organised in Hemispheres!
If you scroll up this topic, there are lots of tips / Handy Hints (!) regarding the planning and organisation.
The Hotel Manager will need to be your first stop, and I know he (or she) will be helpful!
If possible, ask for the date, place and time that he gives you to go both in the Daily Programme (under Special Interest), and Also in a ship-wide email so that All Departments will be aware, and those who are interested may be released for about 20 minutes, then can attend.
You won't find many waiters and cabin stewards coming, they have to sleep in their time away from their workplaces.
Seating - in a Circle, (random, not so easy), and if possible, I request a small amount of light refreshments! I have had numbers ranging from 25 - 125, it all depends on what else is going on at the same time. Also, best to try and avoid lecture times as well as Afternoon Tea times!
I usually request that one of the Entertainment team might attend with a Mic. We share that and encourage anyone and everyone to talk about' Special memories' of their experience of QE2
You will also need to take the opportunity to advertise this great website - Mentioning QE2 Story and Forum (into google), and an accurate update by yourself would very much help to dispel thew myths that otherwise may emerge, and might very easily distract from the opportunities for QE2 Memories!

Hope this helps!
Please feel free to send me a PM, if you can't find the answer / details here or higher in the Topic!
It's a great itinerary - Enjoy every minute!
All the best
Rosie
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2016, 04:05 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Greg Rudd

« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2016, 06:52 AM »
If there is a Sydney stop over we could always catch up at a pub in the Rocks area.