Author Topic: Telex Numbers  (Read 822 times)

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
Telex Numbers
« on: Jul 08, 2016, 07:46 PM »
This is bordering on the geeky, but as this forum will one day be a definitive QE2 reference let me add this.
Before and during the change-over to the Cunard-developed Marinet System, the vast majority of comms through the Radio Room both for ships business and passenger business was conducted by Short-wave Telex and later by Satellite telex.
The ships Shortwave telex number was 45509 with the telex answerback of 45509 CUNARD-QE2.  The Scientific Atlanta Standard-A Sat comm number was 1440301 with the Telex answerback of 1440301-GBTT, the second Satcom terminal fitted about 1988 had the number 1440407.
Cunard Southampton telex room had the number 477577 (I think?)  answerback 477577 CSSSOU-G

Shortwave telex used the Sitor encoding using short bursts of data acknowledged by the shore station - usually Portishead. The BRRRP  BRRRP BRRRP would be familiar to anyone with a radio on board I'm sure!

Willum

Online cunardqueen

Re: Telex Numbers
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2016, 09:28 PM »
I remember on my very first crossing sending a telex to my parents in June 1986..
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2016, 09:59 PM »
I remember on my very first crossing sending a telex to my parents in June 1986..

I may well have sent it.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2016, 01:32 PM »
Whenever we were away from Southampton for an extended period of time the photography department was required to send back weekly reports to our head office back in the UK.

These comprised details of passenger numbers, photos taken, sales revenue, expenditure etc. This was all done via Telex and I am sure Willum would have sent many of them for us as, well as the other concessionaires aboard.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!