Author Topic: Cunard's QE2 50th anniversary voyage aboard Queen Elizabeth  (Read 3097 times)

Offline cunardqueen

Re: Cunard's QE2 50th anniversary voyage aboard Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #40 on: Sep 28, 2017, 04:17 PM »
I am wondering too - total silence.  Was anything done other than token lip service ? 

Given Cunard and their recent news about a new thing being built, We can only imagine that there was a bit more fuss made onboard this time, Perhaps an ever bigger fuss made than what would have been normal . But then thats the trouble they only make a fuss over QE2 when it suits them.
I do wonder why they didnt announce the new build thing onboard to the assembled masses.
Perhaps the passengers are somewhat stunned to have been dragged round the Med and paid an hefty price for such a thing to be fed a couple of lectures and given a couple of fancy menus.
Either that or exhausted with the onboard celebrations.. ::)     
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #41 on: Sep 28, 2017, 04:22 PM »
I am sure members would love to hear from passengers on the cruise. It is part of their way of remembering QE2's launch anniversary and it would be wonderful to hear from them.
I am proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Kevin McGhee

« Reply #42 on: Oct 10, 2017, 01:18 PM »
The cruise ran smoothly and was fully booked. I have mailed a copy of QE2 events and speeches that were made and sent a hard copy to Lynda, maybe she can post it here.

I guess there were 20 or so past crew members of QE2 onboard and of course many past passengers of QE2.

The lectures, mostly in The Royal Court Theatre,  were full and well received. QE2 Story badges which I had taken onboard with me were given to Captain Hashmi and Commodore Warwick and I observed Chris Frame sporting one also. The QE2 Story was mentioned in several of the speeches at the get-togethers.

The lecturers were Capt. Hashmi, (who served on QE2 for many years), Commodore Warwick, Maureen Ryan and Chris Frame. Capt. McNaught also spoke at some of the events.

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #43 on: Oct 17, 2017, 12:01 PM »
Thanks for the update Kevin and for the sheet listing the event. I will get around to scanning and posting but it may be next week, as I have a lot going on at the moment. 
I am proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #44 on: Nov 18, 2017, 06:45 PM »
I have finally got around to taking a photo of the programme of for the QE2 anniversary celebration on QE2 in September.  Whoever was responsible for producing this document for the passengers got the month wrong for a few of the entries, but the items are all from the same cruise in September (not July).  I have also keyed the information into a document as it may be a bit easier to read the events. 

Thanks again to Kevin McGhee for letting us see this document with the programme of the events on the Queen Elizabeth cruise in September (see attachment and post from Bob with a pdf version) 

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2017, 10:05 AM by Lynda Bradford »
www.qe2event.com

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #45 on: Nov 18, 2017, 07:06 PM »
I have attached a PDF version of the document Lynda attached to the previous post for everybody who doesn't have a Mac with Pages installed.

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #46 on: Nov 18, 2017, 11:31 PM »
Thanks Bob that makes it easier for everyone to view having a pdf format
www.qe2event.com

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #47 on: Nov 18, 2017, 11:46 PM »
Wow! Lots of notable people!
"I stand for freedom of expression, doing what you believe in, and going after your dreams."-Madonna

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #48 on: Nov 19, 2017, 03:04 AM »
I have finally got around to taking a photo of the programme of for the QE2 anniversary celebration on QE2 in September.  Whoever was responsible for producing this document for the passengers got the month wrong for a few of the entries, but the items are all from the same cruise in September (not July).  I have also keyed the information into a document as it may be a bit easier to read the events. 

Thanks again to Kevin McGhee for letting us see this document with the programme of the events on the Queen Elizabeth cruise in September (see attachment) 

Thanks for sharing the QE2 50th Cruise Programme! I wonder how well we would have done on the QE2 Trivia Quiz! :)
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #49 on: Nov 19, 2017, 09:55 AM »
Thanks for sharing the QE2 50th Cruise Programme! I wonder how well we would have done on the QE2 Trivia Quiz! :)

Actually, I wonder whether we could get a copy of it! It would be fun to try it out here in the Forum :) .

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #50 on: Nov 19, 2017, 02:04 PM »
Actually, I wonder whether we could get a copy of it! It would be fun to try it out here in the Forum :) .

Isabelle, Hello!
That Is a good idea.
Just wondering now, who set the quiz....

AND...
Maybe getting a Great Big QE2 Quiz prepared for her TEN Years In Dubai could also be a possibility here?
We could invite questions (and Prizes) - and, like "raffle tickets" add them to a Poll, and Publish next year.
100 questions relating, under headings, to all the different areas of QE2 Pre - 2009.
Something for everyone, from Engines, to Navigation to Hotel, to F and B, to Housekeeping, to Security, to Crew Info to Communications to Retail, to Entertainment etc etc !

Wonder what you all think?
If people agree, it probably needs a New Topic too!
Rosie

QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for very nearly  whole years... she seriously needs to be earning her keep....

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #51 on: Nov 19, 2017, 03:35 PM »
These were the questions in the QE2 Quiz on QE2 Day on QM2 on 2 July 2015 - the 50th Anniversary of the keel laying (during Cunard's 175th annversary crossing). The highest score was 18!

1.   On which famous River was QE2 launched on 20 September 1967?

2.   Before given her formal name, what number accompanied ‘Q’ as the ship’s codename?

3.   Name one of the three warships sunk in the Falklands whose survivors were brought home on QE2 after the Falklands Campaign in 1982?

4.   In what year did QE2 undertake her first World Cruise?

5.   From what French cruise ship did QE2 rescue 500 passengers after the cruise ship caught fire in 1971?

6.   What was so special about the Atlantic crossing departure from New York on 20 October 1986?

7.   What two other British icons were captured with QE2 in a photograph in 1985?

8.   What was the new Grill Restaurant originally known as when introduced in 1990?

9.   What was unusual with how Queen Elizabeth 2's name was spelt?

10.   QE2 sailed 5.8 million miles, which is more than any other. What Cunard ship did this total eclipse.

11.   What were the names of the two Grand Suites on board?

12.   Apart from the UK and Germany which other European country hosted QE2 in dry dock?

13.   Where and why did a million people turn out to greet QE2 on 24 July 1990?

14.   Which two former South African Presidents sailed on QE2?

15.   In which country did QE2 spend her longest charter?

16.   What was the name of the collection of ephemera located on Upper Deck D Stairway from 1994?

17.   What was the Spa concession who opened the first Spa facility at sea on QE2 in 1982?

18.   Which member of the Royal Family bade farewell to QE2 on her last day in the UK on 11 November 2008?

19.   New York or Southampton – which port did QE2 call at more?

20.   What is the surname of the Father and Son who uniquely commanded QE2 during her career?

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2017, 05:23 PM by Michael Gallagher »

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #52 on: Nov 19, 2017, 04:37 PM »
Thanks Michael.

Will you post the answers after a suitable pause?

We should try to answer them from memory rather than google etc as I assume the quiz was done live in the Golden Lion?

You think you know quite a bit . . . until . . .

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #53 on: Nov 19, 2017, 04:41 PM »
Yes it was in the Golden Lion one night after dinner. Quite competitive. Me and my group not allowed to take part since I'd written the questions. As I say, the highest score was 18.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #54 on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:07 PM »
Hello Michael,
Thank you!
Rosie.

Memo to Peter H, and All - go on, just do it - Guessing, No peeking and Score please?!
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2017, 06:11 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for very nearly  whole years... she seriously needs to be earning her keep....

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #55 on: Nov 19, 2017, 06:48 PM »
Twynkle,

I have had a go - of course I got 20 out of 20 in my imagination- but I won't know how badly I did until Michael reveals the answers.

Let's just say if I don't get question 1 correct, I will leave by the window without opening it!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #56 on: Nov 19, 2017, 09:38 PM »
Twynkle,

I have had a go - of course I got 20 out of 20 in my imagination- but I won't know how badly I did until Michael reveals the answers.

Let's just say if I don't get question 1 correct, I will leave by the window without opening it!

Which window, Pete?
btw - I'm already to bolt from the Bit Between the Bridge, down the steps, along under the no-show lifeboats  - and (hating too far to jump) to the very stern on the lowest deck - just above the mooring deck... 
The only question I really didn't even try was the only one I knew - hence early preparation for a speedy demise...
Then someone can write the book called Death in Dubai....
PS - haven't had such fun here since we planned, organised, developed and nearly implemented QE2's World Cruise 2009.

Michael - please, have you set a true dead-line date?
Advance notice could be helpful....

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2017, 09:41 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #57 on: Nov 19, 2017, 11:02 PM »
Just a thought... why not e-mail entries by a given date to the admin e-address...?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #58 on: Nov 19, 2017, 11:31 PM »
Just a thought... why not e-mail entries by a given date to the admin e-address...?

Good idea! Maybe the Moderating Team can even find a prize to offer... :) ...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #59 on: Nov 20, 2017, 12:25 AM »
Good idea! Maybe the Moderating Team can even find a prize to offer... :) ...

... and the Terms and Conditions?
Please can these be as they were on 2nd July in the Golden Lion?
'Search-ing' elsewhere probably wasn't an option then!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #60 on: Nov 30, 2017, 09:39 AM »
QE2 50th Anniversary Celebration aboard Cunard's MV. Queen Elizabeth - September 2017
Video by Chris Frame

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #61 on: Nov 30, 2017, 10:47 PM »
QE2 50th Anniversary Celebration aboard Cunard's MV. Queen Elizabeth - September 2017
Video by Chris Frame

I would take issue with the 'narrator ' when at 2.36, when while looking at the board with past masters on he says; "Cunard Masters"! Captain Christopher Rynd was NOT a Cunard Officer, he was 'dumped' on Cunard following the 'ethnic cleansing' of TRUE Cunard Captains in 2005.
Also strange as it may seem, he doesn't mention Captain Peter Russell, funny that!!!!!

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #62 on: Dec 01, 2017, 12:52 AM »
Explain the "Ethnic Cleansing", please.
"I stand for freedom of expression, doing what you believe in, and going after your dreams."-Madonna

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #63 on: Dec 01, 2017, 11:35 AM »
Explain the "Ethnic Cleansing", please.

Basically the DELIBERATE removal of a group or 'race' to effect a 'pure location.

IE; the moving on of TRUE Cunard Officers from QE2 to P&O and/or Princess to make way for Officers from said lines to 'take over' Cunard/QE2.

It just speeded up the downward spiral of Cunard standards, 90% were total idiots with no idea of Cunard history or traditions, let alone knowledge of the regular and loyal passengers.

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #64 on: Dec 01, 2017, 07:19 PM »
Basically the DELIBERATE removal of a group or 'race' to effect a 'pure location.

IE; the moving on of TRUE Cunard Officers from QE2 to P&O and/or Princess to make way for Officers from said lines to 'take over' Cunard/QE2.

It just speeded up the downward spiral of Cunard standards, 90% were total idiots with no idea of Cunard history or traditions, let alone knowledge of the regular and loyal passengers.
My god, how rude!

3D Queen Mary "model" on Google Earth / Google Maps

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 594
Last post Aug 03, 2016, 08:25 PM
by cunardqueen
Vote for the "best" Queen

Started by Bob C.Board Cunard

Replies: 43
Views: 10395
Last post Aug 13, 2017, 04:53 PM
by Trevor Casey
A very different "Vista" Queen...

Started by Chris FrameBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 13
Views: 5502
Last post Oct 17, 2010, 07:07 PM
by Magic Pipe
"Kissed by a Queen"!

Started by Andy HollowayBoard The 2000s

Replies: 6
Views: 265
Last post Nov 17, 2017, 07:16 PM
by Bob van Leeuwen
"Captain of the Queen" by Captain Robert Harry Arnott, 1982 ISBN 0 450 04891 8

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2