Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Cunard's QE2 50th anniversary voyage aboard Queen Elizabeth  (Read 4994 times)

Offline Derek Boyd

Just received my copy of Cunard brochure August 2016 - May 2018.  I quote from page 39. 'Queen Elizabeth, Q729 - 8 September 2017

'Join Queen Elizabeth to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Cunard's best-loved ship - the iconic QE2. Launched in 1967, QE2 sailed the world
for just over 39 years, taking 2.5 million passengers over 5.8 million miles - more miles than any other ship'

'Join fellow Cunarders to celebrate the life of a floating legend, culminating with a commemorative dinner on 20 September - the same day
QE2 was launched..... finishing the cruise details with recognising QE2 is .. 'often referred to as the 'most loved ship in the world'

How, dare I ask, are Carnival/Cunard planning to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of 'the dumping of the most loved ship in the world'
in November 2008???

I have a sneaky feeling they will have QM2, QE and QV call-by for a 'photoshoot' of all 4 Queens. Wouldn't that just be lovely???
You may have detected sarcasm, cynicism in the above comment - and you would be correct.

Carnival couldn't wait to get the cheque for QE2. It's over. I wish they would just leave her alone and let whatever happens in Dubai proceed
without all this sentimental mush when it suits them. What a strange organisation. It made me boke when I read it. It's guff.

Online pete cain

Oh Derek, you are a man after my own heart, but, beware old boy, keep on ranting like this &  you will soon have your Carnivor  entitlement recinded & hence no mail shots. They have eyes everywhere :-X :-X

Online Lynda Bradford

In addition to Cunard remembering the launch of QE2 remember that the QE2 Story will be hosting a special event in Clydebank to celebrate QE2's 50 years.

Keep up to date with progress by following the topic Rob set up for information : 
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,7252.0.html
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Yes, as Lynda has said, there are great plans underway to remember the launch of our QE2 right in Clydebank, her birthplace.  The event will be hosted by The QE2 Story.  It is sure to be a fabulous event fitting for our beloved QE2.  Mark the date and watch as new information comes out.   :)
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,7252.0.html
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:33 AM by Lynda Bradford »
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Chris Frame

Wonderful plans by the forum to commemorate QE2.

I am very excited to be speaking aboard QE on the special Cunard anniversary cruise, but am sad that I can't attend the forum events as it looks to be excellent.

Details of the Cunard voyage -- http://www.cunardline.com.au/cruise-search/book-a-cruise/cruises/qu/2400-q729-sou1-sou2/

I think it is wonderful that Cunard are commemorating the ship's long and important career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gill

Derek, you beat me to it.

Sadly, that elusive photoshoot of all 4 Queens will not happen as only Queen Mary 2 will be visiting Dubai en route back to Southampton at the end of her World cruise in 2017 and 2018.  Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria do not call at Dubai.

I see from the article in the brochure that a commemorative dinner will be held on board Queen Elizabeth on 20th September (the same date that QE2 was launched).  So sadly, it seems our QE2 will be all alone in Dubai on this her special day whilst others are celebrating elsewhere!!

Anything happening in Southampton and/or Liverpool on 20th September 2017?

Queen Elizabeth is in Liverpool in July 2017 - seems to be becoming an annual event as she was there last Saturday (2nd July) for the celebrations for 100 years of the Cunard building.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Anything happening in Southampton and/or Liverpool on 20th September 2017?

It will be Clydebank! Much more to read here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,6971.0.html

Online cunardqueen

Oh Derek, you are a man after my own heart, but, beware old boy, keep on ranting like this &  you will soon have your Carnivor  entitlement recinded & hence no mail shots. They have eyes everywhere     

Indeed its happened to some of us ???... No emails,No brochures,no World Club news letters, and No Diamond Year Book...Guess Cunard have liberated me. Nice to know my loyality has counted and they appreciated it.... and now a bit like QE2, Iv been dumped, like a fish cast aside and washed upon the shore, exposed to the elements and left to rot :'(

I think it is wonderful that Cunard are commemorating the ship's long and important career.     
Some might say its the very least they can do.

I do wonder however just what significance the ports of call have (if any) other than Gib
What is surprising is, when you manage to navigate the schedule, that when l did a 3 week med cruise (only 3 nights longer than this one) on QE2 we sailed all the way into Alexandria and generally went so much further (and faster ;))
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Michael Gallagher

While there is a cruise on Queen Elizabeth next year to celebrate the 50th anniversary of QE2's launch it will not be on the same scale of the 40th Anniversary voyage in 2007.

Online cunardqueen

i do wonder given perhaps the "uncertainty" of QE2 in Dubai, if perhaps Cunard are shall we say less than eager to associate events with her. Perhaps had she been refitted as a hotel as planned and opened for business would we have seen more events involving QE2...? 

Offline cunarder1212

Jim Gardiner
  Line Dancer

How anyone from this site can accuse anyone else of "sentimental mush " is beyond me.
     I have booked this morning (23 Dec 2016) and already there are no grill suites available.
     The ship lives on in our memories and what lies in Dubai is just so much scrap iron and will never sail the seas again except in our minds, so get over it and enjoy life.
                                                                                Jim Gardiner (Cunarder1212)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
   Jim Gardiner
  Line Dancer

How anyone from this site can accuse anyone else of "sentimental mush " is beyond me.
     I have booked this morning (23 Dec 2016) and already there are no grill suites available.
     The ship lives on in our memories and what lies in Dubai is just so much scrap iron and will never sail the seas again except in our minds, so get over it and enjoy life.
                                                                                Jim Gardiner (Cunarder1212)

What is your point Jim, I'm afraid I don't understand?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Roy Warrender

QE2 50th anniversary on board QE
« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2017, 05:49 PM »
Hi not to sure where to put this found on cruise critic today

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=8005

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: QE2 50th anniversary on board QE
« Reply #13 on: Aug 21, 2017, 07:14 PM »
Hi not to sure where to put this found on cruise critic today

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=8005

Thank you, Roy. This is the perfect place for it :) .

Interesting to read the comments, some of them quite scathing...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: QE2 50th anniversary on board QE
« Reply #14 on: Aug 21, 2017, 08:26 PM »
Thank you, Roy. This is the perfect place for it :) .

Interesting to read the comments, some of them quite scathing...

I'm afraid, with the ship on its normal itinerary, it seems half-hearted.  They should have had her on the Clyde that day.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online cunardqueen

I'm afraid, with the ship on its normal itinerary, it seems half-hearted.  They should have had her on the Clyde that day.   

When l saw it first l did wonder whats the connection with the ports...
Or have Cunard just added on the QE2 connection to a regular cruise

trevorc

At least they acknowledge that she still exists..

Online Lynda Bradford

It's all about money!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Just another cruise with a spice of QE2 nothing more nothing less.

Online Michael Gallagher

Yes I think there will be disappointment - especially among those who did the 40th Anniversary cruise and are now doing this.