Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Cunard's QE2 50th anniversary voyage aboard Queen Elizabeth  (Read 4929 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Yes I think there will be disappointment - especially among those who did the 40th Anniversary cruise and are now doing this.

Yes, there will be disappointment.

Cunard, like most cruise companies these days, seem to forget that loyal followers exist, and those loyal followers should have their worth and the ship's worth acknowledged in a more fitting way.

QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Malcolm

We must remember that Cunard is not Cunard of old - a British shipping company with a long and important history, but is simply a brand of a US based cruise firm. The old Cunard did not survive and Carnival took over the brand as one of their lines. Carnival's job is to make money - they're doing that by exploiting the names of Cunard and QE2 - can we blame them?

It's a great pity that air travel took over from sailing to get to anywhere outside the UK. It's much more fun to spend a couple of weeks relaxing whilst getting to your destination, eating and drinking far too much  :P,  but flying is so much quicker. Who can afford the extra time (I'm not even thinking about the cost) sailing takes over flying?

Online cunardqueen

At least they acknowledge that she still exists.. 

Thats the trouble, They do...BUT its only when they wish to do so and on their terms. Rather like a dotty old relative at a party, you wheel them out, hope they dont steal the show and wheel them back in again pretty quickly

The last thing Carnival need is to be reminded that a 50 year old ship , which they gave away under a closed deal, now lays in bits in Dubai, under the pretense thats its being transformed into a seventh wonder of the world. And lets not kid ourselves here we really have no evidence of exactly what they are doing to her. No desrespect to Davina for his hard work . We have been here before with false starts and right now is there any reason to think otherwise.

The 40th Anniversary was l gather amazing, The Farewell UK was stupendous (well l thought so) and the celebratory cruise on whatever ship it is they are using looks nothing more than a pig in a poke. 

Yes I think there will be disappointment - especially among those who did the 40th Anniversary cruise and are now doing this.

Given that its 10 years since the 40th Anniversary cruise , surely by now people will wake up, smell the coffee and realise they are in for a big let down.  Mindyou, given todays new cruisers they might think its the best thing since sliced bread...and who knows some may even ask..What is a QE2 :o

Who can afford the extra time (I'm not even thinking about the cost) sailing takes over flying?   
Given the low rates for some of the crossings, Id be cheaper taking a crossing home than paying what l pay in excess baggage.  But deep down l know that would never happen.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

trevorc

Thats the trouble, They do...BUT its only when they wish to do so and on their terms.   

Given that its 10 years since the 40th Anniversary cruise , surely by now people will wake up, smell the coffee and realise they are in for a big let down.  Mindyou, given todays new cruisers they might think its the best thing since sliced bread...and who knows some may even ask..What is a QE2 :o

Most of the time it's a botched response. Ten years has sure gone by too fast. Especially thinking about it in he moment. Our Queen is languishing in the hot sun..baking. Myles, you are right. Everyone is in for a awful and dense "remembering". The fact that they call "qe3" QE2 is daft. You would think that people would know.

Online Brandon Sterkel

Yes, there will be disappointment.

Cunard, like most cruise companies these days, seem to forget that loyal followers exist, and those loyal followers should have their worth and the ship's worth acknowledged in a more fitting way.

It's very sad it has to be that way, June.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Roy Warrender

It would be nice if they  replicated QE2's first Genuine Cruise as a cruise liner

Offline Chris Frame

An alternative way to look at this voyage is what a great experience it's going to be. 17 glorious nights in the Mediterranean- an area QE2 sailed many times in her own career - with a fantastic schedule of events to honour the greatest ship to ever sail.   

Events include my talks (reason alone to be excited ... right?   ;D :D ;)  ) which coincide with QE2 theme days that link the ship's great career to the activities aboard.

There will be panel discussions from Captain McNaught, presentations from Commodore Warwick, talks from Maureen Ryan, themed menus, live QE2 menu  / cooking recreations, QE2 themed quizzes in the Golden Lion, QE2 commemorate menus, our book is being launched aboard... and some special extras that will be revealed when aboard the ship.   

I was recently in the UK aboard QM2 filming a QE2 history piece with the BBC alongside Ian McNaught and the Spiers family (40+ cruises on QE2). QE2 is going to get a wonderful historical tribute on national television as a result - perhaps a reminder to many people that she still exists.

Cunard is a business... all businesses exist to make money. Cunard made money from QE2... But having been involved in this voyage for some time I can say that the number of things are being done and the thought being put into it is above and beyond just making a buck, it's also ensuring those aboard have a memorable time and I really do think that people coming on this trip will enjoy the experience.   

If anyone is looking for a replica of 2007 they probably will be disappointed as this won't be the same - QE2 is gone and the voyage is on a different ship... But it will be a new and exciting experience ten years later and hopefully those who join us will very much enjoy it.   

That's my 2c for what it's worth.

With Ian McNaught aboard QM2:

https://instagram.com/p/BXX0PsBA-PH
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2017, 01:00 AM by Chris Frame »

Online Brandon Sterkel

Great to hear more details about the QE2 50th cruise! Good luck to you Chris and can't wait to hear about the voyage!
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online Lynda Bradford

The 17 night Mediterranean cruise is a wonderful itinerary, which people will enjoy.  One of my favourite itineraries! Cunard have tagged on the QE2 anniversary onto the cruise as a marketing ploy, I have no problem with that, but it is not primarily about QE2. 

The real celebration of QE2's 50th anniversary is happening in Clydebank.   :)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
An alternative way to look at this voyage is what a great experience it's going to be. 17 glorious nights in the Mediterranean- an area QE2 sailed many times in her own career - with a fantastic schedule of events to honour the greatest ship to ever sail.   

Events include my talks (reason alone to be excited ... right?   ;D :D ;)  ) which coincide with QE2 theme days that link the ship's great career to the activities aboard.

There will be panel discussions from Captain McNaught, presentations from Commodore Warwick, talks from Maureen Ryan, themed menus, live QE2 menu  / cooking recreations, QE2 themed quizzes in the Golden Lion, QE2 commemorate menus, our book is being launched aboard... and some special extras that will be revealed when aboard the ship.   

I was recently in the UK aboard QM2 filming a QE2 history piece with the BBC alongside Ian McNaught and the Spiers family (40+ cruises on QE2). QE2 is going to get a wonderful historical tribute on national television as a result - perhaps a reminder to many people that she still exists.

Cunard is a business... all businesses exist to make money. Cunard made money from QE2... But having been involved in this voyage for some time I can say that the number of things are being done and the thought being put into it is above and beyond just making a buck, it's also ensuring those aboard have a memorable time and I really do think that people coming on this trip will enjoy the experience.   

If anyone is looking for a replica of 2007 they probably will be disappointed as this won't be the same - QE2 is gone and the voyage is on a different ship... But it will be a new and exciting experience ten years later and hopefully those who join us will very much enjoy it.   

https://instagram.com/p/BXX0PsBA-PH

I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience, for those wealthy enough to experience it... !

But the anniversary is of her *launch*, in Clydebank where it is wrapped up tightly in the story of British, Scottish and Clyde shipbuilding.    Lots and lots of people were involved in her creation, who never once were lucky enough to travel on her...

Queen Elizabeth was on the Clyde earlier this year...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Cunarder Man

Whoever you are, wherever you are, and however you plan to celebrate the Golden Anniversary of the launch of QE2 and her glorious years at sea, enjoy it!

Online cunardqueen

Events include my talks (reason alone to be excited ... right?       ) which coincide with QE2 theme days that link the ship's great career to the activities aboard.

Gosh.... Chris have we moved into the Cunard PR Dept....  ;D ;D ;)

Offline Chris Frame

Gosh.... Chris have we moved into the Cunard PR Dept.... 

lol no  ;D  But having been somewhat involved in this voyage given my job aboard as a guest speaker, the planning side of it has been a lot of fun. The activities arranged are going to be a fitting tribute to this great ship. They've arranged some great QE2 tributes and allowed us to launch our book aboard which is very exciting and also facilitated us doing the BBC doco to share the QE2 story - so I am comfortable to give credit where credit is due.  :D
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2017, 10:05 AM by Chris Frame »

Online Kevin McGhee

I wonder if anyone planning the activities was there at the time. There are ten of us taking the cruise, 5 couples, 3 of us sailed on the maiden voyage as waiters and bartenders, and a 4th was our anchorman in N.Y. He was a Cunarder and now owned a tavern in the city that we all would frequent for the next 30 years.

I was 3 month 'working by' in Clydebank before eventually sailing  from Greenock, ending up in Southampton in early Jan 69 for another 4 months 'working by'. Between us we have many memories of 'the old days' and are looking forward to a successful cruise, after remaining close friends for 50 years you can assume we will enjoy ourselves.

Offline Robbo

Cunard's QE2 50th anniversary voyage aboard Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #34 on: Sep 28, 2017, 02:58 PM »
Has anyone received any feed back, comments, photos from Cunards recent voyage aboard Qeeen Elizabeth when they celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the launch of QE2.
I am awear that it was really a marketing stunt and probably frowned apon by many members of this forum but it would be interesting to hear ... see .... what transpired !!!!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Cunard's QE2 50th anniversary voyage aboard Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #35 on: Sep 28, 2017, 03:03 PM »
Has anyone received any feed back, comments, photos from Cunards recent voyage aboard Qeeen Elizabeth when they celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the launch of QE2.

Yes, I too have been wondering about that. It has been silence so far... is she back from that trip?

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #36 on: Sep 28, 2017, 03:22 PM »
I am wondering too - total silence.  Was anything done other than token lip service ?
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Robbo

« Reply #37 on: Sep 28, 2017, 03:31 PM »
Yes, I too have been wondering about that. It has been silence so far... is she back from that trip?
I believe it was a 17 night cruise departing from Southampton on September 8th so she was due back on Sunday 24th

Apparently they had 5 theme nights with appropriate menus ... these were:-
SUNDAY 10th          TRIUMPH OF A GREAT TRADITION
WEDNESDAY 13th.   THE FALKLANDS
TUESDAY 19th.        MOVING IN ROYAL CIRCLES
WEDNESDAY 20th.   I NAME THIS SHIP
SATURDAY 23rd.      THE WORLDS FLAGSHIP

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #38 on: Sep 28, 2017, 04:17 PM »
I am wondering too - total silence.  Was anything done other than token lip service ? 

Given Cunard and their recent news about a new thing being built, We can only imagine that there was a bit more fuss made onboard this time, Perhaps an ever bigger fuss made than what would have been normal . But then thats the trouble they only make a fuss over QE2 when it suits them.
I do wonder why they didnt announce the new build thing onboard to the assembled masses.
Perhaps the passengers are somewhat stunned to have been dragged round the Med and paid an hefty price for such a thing to be fed a couple of lectures and given a couple of fancy menus.
Either that or exhausted with the onboard celebrations.. ::)     

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #39 on: Sep 28, 2017, 04:22 PM »
I am sure members would love to hear from passengers on the cruise. It is part of their way of remembering QE2's launch anniversary and it would be wonderful to hear from them.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com