Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Victoria - General Discussion  (Read 47998 times)

Offline CAP

Re: Queen Victoria - General Discussion
« Reply #240 on: Oct 25, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Apparently there have been a number of complaints since the ship's introduction regarding the lack of privacy afforded to the penthouse and grill balconies below.  It is easy to understand the reasoning, especially on sunny days when the Lido deck is full.  I understand Queen Elizabeth's aft section was modified to counter the complaints.  The additional floor space created also helps revenue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Tom Kirrage

« Reply #241 on: Oct 26, 2013, 05:03 PM »
Hello there.

I thought I would add this photo that I took of the Victoria during the summer of 2013.
She came into Gibraltar on the 17th July. This was the weather that I had in the early early hours of the morning.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #242 on: Oct 26, 2013, 09:58 PM »
Beautifully caught, Tom!

I don't like the looks of this ship, but the way you caught her makes her look her best I am quite sure. Lovely light of dawn...

Offline tdickson

« Reply #243 on: Oct 26, 2013, 10:34 PM »
I have also heard that when QV goes for her next re-fit, no fixed date as yet as far as I know, she will re -enter service looking far too similar to QE (3) her profile is not good, with that awful covered sports deck & long aft 'Sailaway' Deck , which makes for additional staterooms below. QE 2068 guests/1005 crew, QV 1990 guests/981 crew. As already mentioned more staterooms means more revenue, but this will spoil the exterior look of the ship (Incidently my better half never wanted to cruise on board the Oceana as she says 'Is an ugly ship to look at, but a great atmosphere once onboard so do not judge a book by it's cover) There are nearly 100 changes from QV too QE most of which are better, too mention a few, ie: Staircase into the Britannia Restaurant, additional access to the Queens Room and the walk over, over and above the Winter Garden. This still does not make her look better and with NO happy atmosphere. We love Cunard but will continue to be QM2/QVic lovers & not so much QE   

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #244 on: Oct 27, 2013, 08:11 AM »
That story about QV's decks being altered has been doing the rounds since QE came into service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Offline Twynkle

Re: Victoria - General Discussion
« Reply #245 on: May 25, 2014, 09:26 PM »
We sailed on QV in December 08 in the Med & had some roughish weather and were delayed at Civitavecchia due to a beam gale keeping us pressed against the quayside.....

....I think extending the deck round to make a circuit would be a great improvement.

Hi Bruce
QM2 nearly didn't make her call at Civittavecchia in 2011, so strong was the wind on her beam - there's something about that port, we also sailed in on board QV, again it was pretty breezy!

You'll be pleased to know that Q.Victoria now has access for passengers 'promenading' all round on Deck 3 - there's a tunnel across, just aft of the bow mooring deck.
It seems she got the idea from QE - and it's quite an  'interesting' experience to try and make a traverse  in a F6-7 (specially when the wind got up and open decks closed during the time when a certain passenger was sound asleep beneath Tender 4)
Rosie.
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #246 on: May 25, 2014, 09:47 PM »
Hi Rosie, sounds interesting. Could be tempted on board Qv again so will look out for this.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #247 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:23 AM »
Icky Vicky (Queen Victoria that entered service in late 2007).

Hi Guys,- referring to the previous posts on QE2 Deck Plans topic.
just FYI, Queen Victoria is a very good ship indeed.
Her crew are happy - many from both QE2 as well as QM2.
The service is superb and the ship works extremely well.
Having experienced her in just about every sea condition possible
(even when she was required to heave to), she comes highly recommended.
Having been bought up with Liners and other merchant, as well as RN ships
I have to apologise for disagreeing with you, "Icky Vicky" she is definitely not!
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2017, 09:25 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Re: Queen Victoria
« Reply #248 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:37 AM »
Hi Guys,- just FYI, Queen Victoria is a very good ship indeed.
I have to apologise for disagreeing with you, "Icky Vicky" she is definitely not!

It's more in jest, as someone I know calls her that - as well as a "bookend". I have been aware that a lot of her crew moved from QE2 for years now.

However she is just a cruise ship sometimes pretending to be an ocean liner (her first tandem with QE2 in January 2008 comes to mind - my Dad was on QE2 at the time and took plenty of photos I'll upload to Flickr sometime and share here to illustrate the point). Cunard (Carnival) desperately wanted us to think she was a true Cunarder and ocean liner until not to long ago through their marketing and some have taken it hook, line, and sinker. She's a sheep in wolves' clothing (to flip the original saying).

She cracked very badly (I know all ships crack somewhat and have to flex - even QE2) on this first tandem, the crack being most significant in the laundry on one of the decks. QE did likewise when the seniors at Cunard decided (in their great wisdom - do they learn? - senior officials at corporates seems to share never learning from the past with our politician's but that's off topic) to send her into a storm on her first transatlantic in the Winter of all times. There is dramatic video of QE trying to deal with the storm on this first crossing on YouTube. This cracking (due to being severe) has no doubt affected their lifespans - economic after all??

That's before thinking about the sewage flowing in the passenger areas on the 2008 tandem as the sewage system couldn't cope with the weather. A family friend stated this and he's not one to complain - in fact he sugar coats everything when cruising. The strong smell of sewage appears to be a problem in some parts of the ship as we speak, according to someone I know who just got off a cruise on her earlier this week. Not to mention the occasional strong smell of fuel in places too, including on the open decks.

Also a relative of mine has been an architect for decades and said the quality of her interior finish is poor (shoddy), he still likes her regardless - having travelled on her a few times.

I suppose QV and QE fulfil Cunard's requirements for now but are not particularly remarkable or unique ships as Cunard have a history of operating. An example of Cunard's increasing genericism under Carnival but that's for another topic.

I think they're okay but only as cruise ships milling about and not making Atlantic crossings in bad weather.

My two pence (instead of cents  ;) ).

Thomas

PS. Anyway sorry for going off topic, maybe Mods can make a new topic or merge accordingly.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2017, 09:43 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #249 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:53 AM »
Hi Guys,- referring to the previous posts on QE2 Deck Plans topic.
just FYI, Queen Victoria is a very good ship indeed.

I agree entirely with your comments Rosie.  I like the ship, the crew are very friendly and I have found the atmosphere on the Queen Victoria to be very like that of QE2 - warm and welcoming.  She copes with rough seas very well.

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #250 on: Nov 15, 2017, 12:27 PM »
I suppose QV and QE fulfil Cunard's requirements for now but are not particularly remarkable or unique ships as Cunard have a history of operating. An example of Cunard's increasing genericism under Carnival but that's for another topic.

I think they're okay but only as cruise ships milling about and not making Atlantic crossings in bad weather.

After having crossed + cruised on QE2, and same on QM2, I would tend to agree with you, Thomas.

I was unimpressed with the Queen Victoria compared to the two above-mentioned, to the point I will probably not repeat on her.

IMHO she's nothing unique, just average with a coat of Cunard decorum. The lack of teak decking, for instance, is nothing like an ocean liner.

And, my gosh, is she ugly… sorry about that, but still not used to her Vista look 10 years after...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #251 on: Nov 15, 2017, 03:33 PM »
Hi M-A B,
Your thoughts are interesting!
Yes - her lack of Teak, (except in the Grills area) is very disappointing - however, I'd still rather have her around than not!

The Good Thing about Queen Victoria is that she doesn't 'masquerade as anything special'.
No airs, no graces, no pretensions  (to be beautiful) - and certainly, no arrogance!
In this respect, she's more like both QE2 - And HM QEll

As recently as August, in several areas she was definitely smarter (Britannia Club) than before her refit. The newly transformed Chart Room is every bit as good as The Carinthia on board QM2 - particularly without those beastly room dividers, and over-crowded seating arrangements!  The saddest thing is the 'demolition of her 'Heritage Collection - this Is a Complete travesty!
Rosie

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2017, 03:38 PM by Twynkle »

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #252 on: Nov 15, 2017, 03:54 PM »
The saddest thing is the 'demolition of her 'Heritage Collection - this Is a Complete travesty!
Rosie

Hi Rosie,

I agree on this! Seems like someone upstairs has decided to throw away all references to the past, but very honestly, what is the brand Cunard nowadays without its heritage?

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #253 on: Nov 16, 2017, 01:20 PM »
Only sailed on her once and I liked her - as you say Rosie - not trying to be anything other than what she is!
To my mind she certainly isn't masquerading as an Ocean Liner - OK there are areas which are beefed up which her Vista variant cousins don't have but other than that she is a Vista class cruise ship.

We had a great time - the Commodore Club in QV is superior to that of QM2 - mostly to do with that amazing panoramic view over the bow and the amazing crew who worked in there at the time.

I was saddened when I saw the "remastered" version of her with the "does my bum look big in these" additional cabins on the after end (a la QE) - she looked better with the semi raked stern I think.

To that end - here is one of her alongside at Gibraltar during our Med cruise in 2010 and the Commodore Club - the crew member in centre shot was ex-QE2 but I cannot recall his name - he used to know where our group liked to sit and had the seats arranged and the wine ready every night without fail! Needless to say he received an extremely handsome tip at the end of the cruise!

Gav

« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2017, 08:36 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #254 on: Nov 16, 2017, 04:01 PM »
Rosie

It will be QV's third transit of the Canal; her maiden being in Januray 2008.

At which time i was 'serving my penance' away from Cunard onboard Coral Princess. Our itinerary was what  was  known as  'half transits' of The Panama canal, or in other words enter via Gatun Locks, anchor for 3 or 4 hours to disembark passengers for their day long tours, then exit and go alongside at Cristobal where the tours returned around 1900.

Anyway, on this particular day following us through the Gatun Locks was QV, so being an old 'QV' rating i proceeded to the highest deck and took a series of photographs of QV actually passing through the locks, the first ones ever! Knowing Captain Paul Wright well i sent them to him and he in turn sent them onto Cunard. In his email back to me he told me that the ships photographers had paid a fairly large sum of money to The Panama Canal Commission and the ship's agent to be landed at Gatun, take photos of the ship going through the locks and then drive down the canal finally rejoining in Mira Flores.  Later that day Capt Wright emailed me again to 'warn me' to 'sleep with one eye open' as the phots were not happy that i'd taken phots of QV, and that Capt Wright had sent them on to Cunard, well ahead of theirs. Ah well as they say, the early bird........