Author Topic: Redevelopment plans for John Brown's shipyard site  (Read 3087 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Redevelopment plans for John Brown's shipyard site
« on: Mar 29, 2016, 01:53 PM »
Plans announced for the redevelopment of the John Brown's Shipyard site in Clydebank. 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-35916259

"The centrepiece of the development will be the refurbished fitting-out basin of the old yard and the Titan Crane visitor attraction."
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

Re: Redevelopment plans for John Brown's shipyard site
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2016, 03:56 PM »
This IS fantastic news!
Thank you, Lynda

Pity there's no mention of the plea to Historic Scotland, and their agreement to list the Site -
however to know that it's being preserved, and valued as such - rather than becoming a supermarket car park - This  is Brilliant!
Rosie

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2016, 04:17 PM »
This IS fantastic news!
Thank you, Lynda

Pity there's no mention of the plea to Historic Scotland, and their agreement to list the Site -
however to know that it's being preserved, and valued as such - rather than becoming a supermarket car park - This  is Brilliant!
Rosie

I agree that is a slight omission by the BBC.  But looking forward to seeing more details about the plans. 

For people who are interested here is the link to the Historic Scotland page with the information on the listing of the Titan Crane and the Fitting Out Basin.  Category A listing Date: 14/4/1989
http://portal.historic-scotland.gov.uk/designation/LB22993

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2016, 06:40 PM »
This is marvelous news, Lynda, and thanks for presenting the link to the article !  Please update as more news becomes available.   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2016, 07:32 PM »
I agree that is a slight omission by the BBC.  But looking forward to seeing more details about the plans.

Have to say, it took some doing, letter, phone calls and more letters :)
Maybe we should suggest a Plaque!
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,6167.msg64015.html#msg64015
With further links!!
Rosie.

Online No 736

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2016, 09:44 PM »
Great news indeed.
Steve.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2019, 01:27 AM »
This article gives no indication of the world beating record breaking ships that were made at the John browns shipyard.

"John Brown’s shipyard was started in 1871, and built a variety of vessels for customers around the world."

Clydebank has lost an awful lot, but they shouldn't forget how the very many ships they built changed the world, and had a significant place on the world stage for a century.

https://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/17384923.plans-submitted-for-new-homes-at-former-john-browns-shipyard/
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2019, 09:05 AM »
The news article could have said more about John Brown’s shipyard that occupied the land where they will be building.

My initial disappointment is that there are plans for six storey flats. I know the aim is to give affordable homes. But having lived in Clydebank at a time when the River Clyde could not be seen for tenement buildings and works I would hope that there are open spaces planned.
www.qe2event.com

Offline pete cain

« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Maybe the least the planners could do would be to name the streets & roads after the great liners & characters who both managed & worked in the yard, never be forgotten then, maybe just a thought..

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2019, 02:12 PM »
Very good idea, Pete !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2019, 09:23 PM »
Perhaps they could make the blocks of flats look like side-on views of classic liners.

It wouldn't be difficult to do; just needs a bit of imagination on the part of the developers and architects.

Plus, it would be a sort of nice "revenge" for all the modern ships looking like floating blocks of flats...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline pete cain

« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2019, 11:54 AM »
Correct Pete, just a little imagination as you say. Problem is in this' pile em high n sell m  (not so ) cheap
days cannot see it happening. Hope to be proved wrong.

Online Lynda Bradford

Development continues at  Queen's Quay, the site of the former John Brown's shipyard.

When sailing down the Clyde the West College, Scotland is a landmark building near to the slipway where QE2 was built.  Also on site are council offices, a leisure centre and a care home.  So bit by bit the development of what had been the derelict shipyard site is taking place. 

At a time when delegates are attending the COP26 conference in Glasgow, of particular interest is a pioneering high-tech new heating system taking water from the River Clyde to heat businesses and homes in Clydebank. The West Dunbartonshire Council has funded £14 million of the cost and the Scottish Government contributed £6.1million through the European Regional Development Fund (pre-Brexit I presume).

This carbon free system will initially heat homes and buildings on the site but plans are to expand the project to heat the Town Hall Library, Shopping centre and the Jubilee Hospital.  See plan of site attached.

"The primary heat source is two no. 2.65MW Water Source Heat Pumps (WSHPs) that convert heat held within the water of the River Clyde into hot water at a temperature of 75 degrees, and two 7MW gas boilers which provide top up heat at peak times when the pumps are operating, as well as providing resilience when no heat is available from the pumps.

The Energy Centre building was designed by Cooper Cromar Architects and built by Muir Construction with the heat producing plant designed and installed by Vital Energi. The heat pumps were manufactured by Glasgow based Star Refrigeration Ltd."

Quote from Queens Quay information page

Exciting project - you can read more details by visiting the Queens Quay web page and West Dunbartonshire Council web site
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2021, 06:40 PM »
How very appropriate.

After working on ships, my Dad (and JBE itself) moved onto high efficiency powerplants (using gas turbines), creating energy as efficiently as possible,  He would approve of this.

I approve of this much more than just another large supermarket being plonked on the site (when Clydebank is already a sea of concrete, shops and car parks).
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2021, 01:01 AM »
The last time I was on the River Clyde was 1966 or 67 rowing a 41/2 mile Head of the river race for my school.
We had to row through the massive oil slick that was occuring at the time. Smell was dreadful and the soap suds from the cleaning agents toxic.
Oh it was peeing down with rain as well !!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2021, 09:45 AM »
The last time I was on the River Clyde was 1966 or 67 rowing a 41/2 mile Head of the river race for my school.
We had to row through the massive oil slick that was occuring at the time. Smell was dreadful and the soap suds from the cleaning agents toxic.
Oh it was peeing down with rain as well !!

Big change to the River Clyde today, Rod but the only downside is that the shipbuilding industry and the skills have almost gone. 
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2021, 09:47 AM »
How very appropriate.

After working on ships, my Dad (and JBE itself) moved onto high efficiency powerplants (using gas turbines), creating energy as efficiently as possible,  He would approve of this.

I approve of this much more than just another large supermarket being plonked on the site (when Clydebank is already a sea of concrete, shops and car parks).

I agree Rob, this is a really innovative initiative and at a time when we should all be looking to reduce our carbon footprint it will be interesting to see future developments. 
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rod

« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2021, 03:44 PM »
I remember when they started redoing Londons dock area.
My Father who was living in London at the time, working for Barclays International.
The developers were desperate to get tenants so they offered what they considered "move in specials"
Dad was not impressed!
To quote him: "One and a half million pounds  for a bloody one bedroom flat! Where all you can hear is the damn dogs at Battersea  Dogs Home.  Not bloody likely!"
This was late sixties.

Look at those areas now!
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2021, 03:47 PM by Rod »