Author Topic: Carpenters / Workers on the QE2 during the 1960s !  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Rebecca Foster

Carpenters / Workers on the QE2 during the 1960s !
« on: Mar 03, 2016, 10:40 AM »
Hello.

Does anyone know whether John Brown subcontracted any other companies when building/fitting the interior into the ship?

I'm trying to find out whether Vosper Thorneycroft carried out any work on the ship during its build.

Any details carpenters/fitters that carried out work on board during the 1960s ?

Any help or contact would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Contractors / Carpenters QEII 1960's !
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2016, 12:07 PM »
I remember reading that Vosper Thorneycroft were contracted by UCS in January to March 1969 when work was done on damaged turbines and finishing the ship. 

Have you contacted Cunard to ask if they have any information?

It may also be worthwhile contacting Glasgow University Archives as they may have documentation that details the contractors used by UCS. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rebecca Foster

Carpenters / Workers on the QE2 during the 1960s !
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2016, 12:07 PM »
Hello.

Does anyone know whether John Brown subcontracted any other companies when building/fitting the interior into the ship?

I'm trying to find out whether Vosper Thorneycroft carried out any work on the ship during its build.

Any details carpenters/fitters that carried out work on board during the 1960s ?

Any help or contact would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Offline Rebecca Foster

« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2016, 12:36 PM »
Hi Lynda,

Thank you for your response.

Do you remember roughly where you read it?

I am yet to contact Cunard but I have been browsing through the archives, no luck as of yet!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2016, 01:26 PM »
Hi Lynda,

Thank you for your response.

Do you remember roughly where you read it?

I am yet to contact Cunard but I have been browsing through the archives, no luck as of yet!

There is mention of Vosper Thorneycroft being engaged by UCS in Carol Thatcher's book 40 years famous, page 95.  But whether they were involved in the turbine repair or the fitting out is not mentioned and as 400 men from UCS were brought down to Southampton it may have been these men that were involved in the carpentry work. 

There is also a mention in the Glasgow Herald 4 January 1969 where in the last paragraph of this article it mentions Clydeside employees being joined by employees of Thorneycroft. 
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=eH9AAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zqMMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3794%2C412851

Southampton newspaper archives may mention the role of the contractors. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rebecca Foster

« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2016, 01:41 PM »
Thank you very much Linda !

You have been very helpful.