Adverts only show for non-members

Poll

Will Crystal Cruises get the SS United States sailing again?

Yes
2 (6.3%)
No
16 (50%)
Don't know
14 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Poll : Will Crystal Cruises get the SS United States sailing again?  (Read 4908 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
What do you think?  Will Crystal Cruises get the SS United States sailing again?

Vote now in our poll!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
No,can't see it happening

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
Sounds (and looks) a bit unrealistic.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
Seems like a publicity stunt to me but if they do put her to sea again I hope they don't do what their artist impression shows. It would not be SS United States if they butcher her profile.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Chris Frame

I think it's an excellent way to give an old neglected ship a second chance at life. Good luck to them. Here's hoping.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Liner lover, Christ follower, and Okie.
    • Classic Ocean Liners
I put down don't know because it really could go either way. I agree with Chris. I wish them the best.
SS United States forever.

The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
I wish them the best of luck and anything is better than Alang.  But adding three balcony decks to an already low ocean liner profile makes The Big U look somewhat like the old Fall River Line steamers.  The lifeboats set amidships gives the illusion of a side wheeler housing that the older Fall River ships had.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Roy Warrender

Rob can you check results of the poll it seems to be inaccurate I know more than i person Has voted yes

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Rob can you check results of the poll it seems to be inaccurate I know more than i person Has voted yes

Maybe someone changed their mind and their vote?

Offline Roy Warrender

I agree one can change ones opinion but with a poll once you have voted that vote should stand and not be changed to go with the flow

Online cunardqueen

I agree one can change ones opinion but with a poll once you have voted that vote should stand and not be changed to go with the flow   

I agree, and while we are at it, lets remove the dont know option...its an easy cop out, we either think she will sail again or she wont. or are we going back to the Henry Ford days, you can have any colour you like as long as its black.   Lets put some adventure into the thing.
Im sure l voted Yes...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Roy Warrender

If you did then I'm not on my own
I hope they get her back to sea but only if it is the United States with new engines etc , But not with the hull modified and altered
I,m not a purist as long as the external view is correct and the interior represents the original thats Ok by me

Offline highlander0108

I am convinced this is really going to happen for a few key reasons.  First, the cruise line has gone way out of its way in promoting this and has been working with the Conservancy behind the scenes for awhile.  To walk this back 9 months from now will be embarrassing, but they did leave the door open, as any smart minded company would.  Second, they have been up front from the beginning with the costs, so they already are assuming that they are going to be spending the equivalent amount to a completely new ship and have factored this into their calculations. 

So if one assumes this is viable, the discussion then should focus on the engineering side of things. Do they really intend for her to still have high speed capability?  If so, I am guessing that a QE2 style DG arrangement is necessary.  The question then is will this be a 2 or 4 prop deal.  I'm guessing it will be 2 propellers with the outboard 2 removed ala Norway.  I suppose you could go with pods, but the stern is going to have to have the flat sections added.  I am guessing that due to the latest stability regs, stuff is going to have to be added anyway.  In any event, it is going to be an interested story to follow.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I am convinced this is really going to happen for a few key reasons.  First, the cruise line has gone way out of its way in promoting this and has been working with the Conservancy behind the scenes for awhile.  To walk this back 9 months from now will be embarrassing, but they did leave the door open, as any smart minded company would.  Second, they have been up front from the beginning with the costs, so they already are assuming that they are going to be spending the equivalent amount to a completely new ship and have factored this into their calculations. 

So if one assumes this is viable, the discussion then should focus on the engineering side of things. Do they really intend for her to still have high speed capability?  If so, I am guessing that a QE2 style DG arrangement is necessary.  The question then is will this be a 2 or 4 prop deal.  I'm guessing it will be 2 propellers with the outboard 2 removed ala Norway.  I suppose you could go with pods, but the stern is going to have to have the flat sections added.  I am guessing that due to the latest stability regs, stuff is going to have to be added anyway.  In any event, it is going to be an interested story to follow.

I should know the answer to this... but did she have stabilisers?  I'm thinking they'll want to at least add(?) bow thrusters.  And yes, I'd been thinking a Diesel-electric setup similar to QE2's is surely the way to go, and yes two props would still allow her to be high speed (relative to cruise ships, not her former self!).
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Scott Ebersold

I thought this was an interesting insider perspective.

https://markbperry.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/ship-of-stars-reborn/

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Thanks, Scott.  This is a very thoughtful and well written article.

QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline highlander0108

I should know the answer to this... but did she have stabilisers?  I'm thinking they'll want to at least add(?) bow thrusters.  And yes, I'd been thinking a Diesel-electric setup similar to QE2's is surely the way to go, and yes two props would still allow her to be high speed (relative to cruise ships, not her former self!).

She never had stabilizers installed, although she was a good roller.  I believe this was mentioned in the book A Man and His Ship.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Liner lover, Christ follower, and Okie.
    • Classic Ocean Liners

It certainly seems more realistic than the Norwegian bid, and I can't see the Conservancy entering into such an agreement without feeling like it was a realistic idea.
SS United States forever.

The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

Offline Roy Warrender

Moderators Can you remove the poll results from the top of this thread Its not upto date

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Rob and Roy, do you want us to reset at zero and start the voting again?

Now that I am here, I just want to add that I voted "don't know". I honestly don't know. I have not taken the time to inform myself properly about these matters, but I still wanted to cast my vote, meaning "I have been here, I have read what has been written, but I cannot make up my mind on this basis". If there had been an "abstain" button, I suppose that would have expressed my "non-views" even better :) .
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2016, 12:35 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »