Author Topic: SOLAS regulations  (Read 19888 times)

Offline Bruce Nicholls

Re: SOLAS regulations
« Reply #30 on: Jun 21, 2015, 11:43 AM »
Just have a little think - when the propulsion & stabilizers fail, a ship can very easily roll 40+ degrees each way when laying beam on to the swells. This launches pax & crew off the stairs if they are athwartships, and you end up with a lot of broken people. In 1982 I ended up trying to carry a 22 stone giant up to his cabin with a broken leg after he was launched by a vicious roll on an athwartships stairway. And all the corned beef sandwiches he was carrying ended up all over the deck & bulkhead. What a waste!

However, the Chinese are still building new ships with athwartships stairways.

I have never seen a ship pitch with the accelerations that occur when rolling, and I have seen a lot of rough weather in 45 years on the job.

Skilly
You are absolutely correct Skilly. Anyone who has not experienced rolling wants to try a trip in a small traditional fishing boat with a nice round bottom (e.g. Lone Gerd). In any kind of beam sea even under power you get wonderful alternate views of sea and sky out of the side bridge windows. The higher you are in the vessel the worse it is. Anything loose goes flying, including crew! Pitching on the other hand is not an issue. We tack across the seas to avoid this.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #31 on: Jun 21, 2015, 06:31 PM »

...under the latest SOLAS regulations 'All lift (elevator) shafts had to reach all decks...

Interestingly, MSC Divina, who went into service in 2012, has four lifts, but only two go all the way to the top deck.  In fact, to get to 15 Deck, one has to change lifts from fore and aft lifts to mid ships lifts.

QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #32 on: Jun 21, 2015, 10:03 PM »
You are absolutely correct Skilly. Anyone who has not experienced rolling wants to try a trip in a small traditional fishing boat with a nice round bottom (e.g. Lone Gerd). In any kind of beam sea even under power you get wonderful alternate views of sea and sky out of the side bridge windows. The higher you are in the vessel the worse it is. Anything loose goes flying, including crew! Pitching on the other hand is not an issue. We tack across the seas to avoid this.

I have experienced 45° rolling on board the experimental French Navy hoverboat "Agnes 200" on the occasion when she was used in an experimental passenger service between Brighton Marina and Dieppe* for a few months one summer; on the way back on my trip she got caught in a squall and had to heave to for nearly an hour just off Brighton - a couple of times she found herself beam on for a few minutes...  Quite an interesting little craft, great fun and certainly a more "fun" crossing than expected on that occasion(!)

*Two hours crossing time, compared to the four hours form the plodding conventional ferries from Newhaven.

PS Before anyone asks what I was doing while this heavy rolling was going on - I was sitting in the back row of the seats quite happily munching my cheese sandwiches...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Barry Bell

« Reply #33 on: Jun 27, 2017, 08:13 AM »
Hi to all forum members!

I am searching for any safety certification that the QE2 received during its operational life cycle.

Maybe SOLAS marine certification or IMO or any other. My interest is related to fire & life safety in design, and operation of the ship at sea.

Kind regards,

Barry

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #34 on: Jun 27, 2017, 10:30 AM »
Hello Barry,

Have you read the SOLAS regulations topic and the 2006 Carol Marlow talks QE2 post SOLAS 2010 topic   There are some interesting discussions and links in both these topics

In this topic Highlander 0108 had saved a link to a Lloyds report that may be of interest but you need to log in to the website to access
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1448.msg15934.html#msg15934

PS: I have moved your post to the SOLAS regulations topic as the topic you had initially used was more for forum statistical information discussion, but it can be moved again if the discussion is wider than SOLAS.  Hoping you get the information that you are looking for. 

Lynda
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #35 on: Jun 27, 2017, 03:25 PM »
Hi to all forum members!

I am searching for any safety certification that the QE2 received during its operational life cycle.

Maybe SOLAS marine certification or IMO or any other. My interest is related to fire & life safety in design, and operation of the ship at sea.

Kind regards,

Barry

Hi Barry,
Might it help for you to contact Lloyd's Register? This is the organisation that has assessments / survey's made
so that all passenger carrying ships comply with SOLAS requirements for Classification.
http://www.lrfoundation.org.uk/public_education/research_resources/research-service/

QE2 was surveyed regularly by Lloyd's Assessors throughout her time in service with Cunard,
and although the link to the last Lloyd's report originally here, now appears to have been deleted.
as here: https://www.cdlive.lr.org/vesselstatus.asp?LRNO=6725418

However the topic may be of interest.
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1448.msg15934.html#msg15934:
Good luck - and please, whatever information that you discover would be really useful to be posted and credited here too!

(Also, and you probably know Lloyd's Register is very much not the same as Lloyds (of London) Insurance or Bank!)

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2017, 03:30 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Rod

« Reply #36 on: Jun 27, 2017, 05:14 PM »
Sorry guys, late to this discussion.
My understanding re SOLAS and the QE2 is that at the end of her service life, A WHOLE lot of exemptions were going to expire giving the owners added enthusiasm for the sale. While I am no expert on this something that was mentioned to me was the required lights on the alleyway decks  ( to guide people to escapes) that would need to be installed. The figure quoted to me for that one was over a million pounds!
Another one was the lifeboats. ALL 20 would have to be replaced, which in some cases would require davit replacement.
Those that have been on newer cruise ships will probably be able to come up with other things just by thinking about what safety features the newer ships had compared to QE2.

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #37 on: Sep 08, 2017, 11:15 AM »
Wouldn't the lifeboats had to have been replaced with fully-enclosed boats - a similar replacement had to be undertaken with Norway's boats. I think that was in 1996 during her Southampton refit?

Offline Rod

« Reply #38 on: Sep 09, 2017, 03:41 PM »
Yes I believe so. That brings up another problem, pax capacity. Believe capacity on an enclosed boat less than an open one.
Early on in her life life  capacity for the open boats was reduced because a DOT surveyor wanted to see 180 people in lifejackets in one of the boats. Couldn't be done so capacity was reduced.

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #39 on: Sep 10, 2017, 03:45 AM »
Wouldn't the lifeboats had to have been replaced with fully-enclosed boats - a similar replacement had to be undertaken with Norway's boats. I think that was in 1996 during her Southampton refit?

Norway's lifeboats. Alang, 2006. (Images from ssmaritime.com)
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #40 on: Sep 10, 2017, 03:48 AM »
And here is the France (SS Norway) docked in Hong Kong 1974 (Image from Wikipedia)
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

2006 Carol Marlow talks QE2 post SOLAS 2010

Started by ChrisBoard The 2000s

Replies: 4
Views: 5027
Last post Oct 24, 2009, 03:18 PM
by Rob Lightbody