Author Topic: Seawise University Fire: Accident or Arson?  (Read 3884 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Seawise University Fire: Accident or Arson?
« on: Jun 15, 2014, 05:25 PM »
There's an excellent book that covers it all in comprehensive detail.  Mentioned on this forum here

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,4284.0.html

It was definitely arson, no question. 9 or more separate fires. The author clears the owners of blame, and points the finger at the triads.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
Re: Seawise University Fire: Accident or Arson?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2014, 10:09 PM »
As Rob says there is no doubt about it, it was definately arson.
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline Adam Ilgin

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2014, 11:32 PM »
This is an interesting article. (Rather, picture of an article.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lincsranger64/4977596517/
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2014, 07:13 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2014, 08:17 AM »
C.Y. Tung was in no way a crook, and frankly I'm sick of hearing it.   Why point the finger at him?  I guess the simple explanation is to blame the owner for insurance fraud, or toward his son for the popular let wholly absurd accusation of infantile greed in the form of revenge.  Mr. Tung loved the Queen Elizabeth at least as much as any of us, having crossed on her more than once.  His sincere intention was to keep her sailing, and his motivation was a floating university. 
Seawise University would not have been his first university at sea.  He knew exactly what he was doing.  There is a lot to thank him for, including giving Independence and Constitution new leases on life. 

He didn't fail at his Seawise University endeavor, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, in a place and a time of great political strife.

Please separate "Arson" from "CY Tung, crook".   I find it quite offensive.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2014, 08:20 AM by Stowaway2k »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2014, 08:58 AM »
Kyle,

Do you have time to write us up an article about it?  As you know, this then becomes 'Googlable' so that people can get a more balanced view!

The book is good, but its also long, and a bit less exciting than its cover and title suggest!

My mind always comes back to QE2, sitting in Dubai with all her doors and windows open to try to move some air around... none of her fire detection systems in operation, and only a small fire watch... it would only take one deliberate or careless act from one person...

- Rob
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Hi Rob,

I could give it a go... though I've never styled myself a writer.

I would want to look into it a bit more.  The staff at the CY Tung museum here don't speak English, and my last visit there just confused them as to my asking (in my broken Chinese) about the availability of more info regarding Seawise University.  They kept pointing to the small public exhibits.

I may be able to enlist the aid of a friend or two in translating, especially the relevant material they have there, all written in Chinese.

So, yeah, thanks for asking.  It won't show up soon though.   ;)  I'll go back and visit the museum again first.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2014, 01:17 PM »
For what its worth, I think its wrong to call the ship QE1, I still berate peope l know about Queen Mary, there is only one and shes in Long Beach, the other one has a 2 On the end and toodles back and fore across the Atlantic .
If we ship folks cant get it right what hope is there for the general public.
Its safe to assume with the poll that we know its Queen Elizabeth.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2014, 03:23 PM »
The death by fire of Seawise University was a terrible end to a magnificent ship.  All the more frightening are the timeline parallels in the lives of Queen Elizabeth and QE2.  Terrible things seem often to happen when ships change owners or are sent to locations to which they are not accustomed.  I just hope our QE2 will stay safe.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2014, 04:19 PM »
Arson, but agree with Rob and others not something I feel CY Tung instrigated

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2014, 05:29 PM »
C.Y. Tung was in no way a crook, and frankly I'm sick of hearing it.   Why point the finger at him?

Why would he burn his own ship anyway? Especially considering all the work and plans to turn her into the Seawise University. I suspect it was arson but probably nothing to do with C.Y. Tung.
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #10 on: Jun 16, 2014, 07:18 PM »
C.Y. Tung was in no way a crook, and frankly I'm sick of hearing it.   Why point the finger at him?  I guess the simple explanation is to blame the owner for insurance fraud, or toward his son for the popular let wholly absurd accusation of infantile greed in the form of revenge.  Mr. Tung loved the Queen Elizabeth at least as much as any of us, having crossed on her more than once.  His sincere intention was to keep her sailing, and his motivation was a floating university. 
Seawise University would not have been his first university at sea.  He knew exactly what he was doing.  There is a lot to thank him for, including giving Independence and Constitution new leases on life. 

He didn't fail at his Seawise University endeavor, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, in a place and a time of great political strife.

Please separate "Arson" from "CY Tung, crook".   I find it quite offensive.

Hi, Kyle - across the Seven Seas!
Commodore Geoffrey Marr has given a good account of Mr CY Tung in his excellent book - 'The Queens and I'.
Expect you have already read/got it - if not, it's often available online, ranging between approx $20 and $200 in price!
On reading this account together with other equally reliable reports, no-one could ever doubt his good intentions.
Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Hi, Kyle - across the Seven Seas!
Commodore Geoffrey Marr has given a good account of Mr CY Tung in his excellent book - 'The Queens and I'.
Expect you have already read/got it - if not, it's often available online, ranging between approx $20 and $200 in price!
On reading this account together with other equally reliable reports, no-one could ever doubt his good intentions.
Rosie

Thank you very much, Rosie, for mentioning Commodore Geoffrey Marr's book.  In addition to addressing Mr. CY Tung, the book is very insightful in many areas.  For those who have not read it, it definitely should be on your "to read" list.  June
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Joseph Navin

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 06:38 AM »
I don't know if this would be interesting but, I found a report of the fires and the partial sinking of the Seawise and it is from the Hk marine court (official Document).

Offline Rod

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 02:30 PM »
That was very interesting. Thank you!

S.S. Seawise University, ex RMS Queen Elizabeth

Started by Stowaway2kBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 16
Views: 9304
Last post Oct 19, 2013, 10:12 PM
by Louis Betti