Author Topic: British Pathe video: The day they began building QE2  (Read 859 times)

Offline Twynkle

British Pathe video: The day they began building QE2
« on: Oct 16, 2015, 06:33 AM »
Article and link to video footage.
It shows the test model of QE2's hull.

Michael: is this possibly the model  that Commodore Marr referred to?
There are others of Q4 on the British Pathe on YouTube too.

https://oceanlinersmagazine.com/2016/07/04/the-day-they-began-building-qe2/

(Please Lynda, if this video s a duplicate, please feel free to remove it!)

« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2020, 09:24 AM by Lynda Bradford »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online skilly56

Re: British Pathe video: The day they began building QE2
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2015, 09:34 AM »
Hi Rosie,
This tank testing footage bought back memories - in Nov 2000 I spent 3 weeks on the carriage of the testing tank at Launceston, Tasmania, doing tank tests on the 2.2 metre long model of a Scottish-built bulk carrier to see if a bulbous bow would be beneficial in cutting the fuel consumption.

The floating model is attached to the moving carriage via strain gauges (and today the data is directly downloaded to a computer, in absolutely huge amounts). Each run is completed at a slightly increased speed (normally 0.25 or 0.5 knot increases), and the data is downloaded & perused for the 'sweet spot' - ie., the lowest resistance hull shape (or minimum shaft horsepower required) for the optimum speed desired. The model may be minutely altered, or the bulbous bow size changed/altered until the 'sweet spot is found. For QE2, the target 'sweet spot' was 28.5 knots.

After each run down the tank, the carriage & model are driven back to the start, then you wait for 8-10 minutes for the water surface to become like glass again before starting the next run (time for a pee & a cup of tea!!).

The rails on the tank that the carriage runs on are normally ground to the curvature of the earth's circumference so that the tank is exactly the same depth in the middle as at the ends, otherwise the results are inaccurate!
I did 94-95 runs on the AMC carriage in Nov 2000, and remember the procedure well. I still have the video tapes and will convert & upload to YouTube one day when I get time.

Then I had to carry the bright yellow model home from Tasmania to Auckland. Do you ever want to know how to get maximum stares when walking through airport terminals :-X

Skilly
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2015, 10:56 AM by skilly56 »

BBC Four Timeshift:Sailors, Ships and Stevedores - The Story of the British Dock

Started by TwynkleBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 3
Views: 586
Last post Nov 21, 2017, 12:40 AM
by Twynkle
Non British Captains

Started by Cruise_PrincessBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 23
Views: 7084
Last post Aug 16, 2010, 04:52 PM
by QE2 Canuck
British Film Council - "Steel Goes to Sea" - 1942