Author Topic: QE2 "as is" Hotel (wherever) - what will it be like ?  (Read 26697 times)

Offline Alex Tarry

Re: QE2 "as is" Hotel (wherever) - what will it be like ?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:36 PM »
Isn't being in the hot and dry better than being in the wet and cold?  Also she is not getting the wear and tear associated with passengers and being, well, used - no spray, stress, attrition etc.  I reckon she'll be in fine nick....

Alex.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #61 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:56 PM »
Isn't being in the hot and dry better than being in the wet and cold?  Also she is not getting the wear and tear associated with passengers and being, well, used - no spray, stress, attrition etc.  I reckon she'll be in fine nick....
I'm sure you're right.  But I can't help wondering, when i was watching my Dubai temperature widget saying 40C+ hour-after-hour a few months ago!  It would help, however, if they released some photos of her interior!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #62 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:53 AM »
Rob, I have it on good authority that at least the majority of the individual cabins are kept locked; I would imagine this will serve two purposes; firstly, it will protect the cabins from the effects of temperature and humidity variation as it will allow the air conditioning to remain constant and secondly should anyone get on the ship with "souvenir hunting" in mind, it will thwart them from doing so. :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

kevinh

« Reply #63 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:22 PM »
I just hope her interiors don't change much, 'cause that'd be about as bad as the Chinese building their own Titanic replica when Palmer's didn't come through.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #64 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:35 PM »
I just hope her interiors don't change much, 'cause that'd be about as bad as the Chinese building their own Titanic replica when Palmer's didn't come through.

You will be pleased to know (as am I and many others) they haven't changed much since her retirement in November 2008 (a topic exists of the latest interior photos from late last year on this forum, search for something along the lines of "QE2 latest interior photos" and you should find the topic). She has had her lights changed to low energy alternatives due to the whiter light given off by them and carpets replaced among other minor mostly cosmetic work as far as her public spaces go. Her current owners have retained her interiors much as they were from after her late 1994 "Project Lifestyle" refit as a result (where she gained a more classic feel and had a more coherent interior after the changes in different areas of her interiors over the years reduced her interior cohesiveness and she had already lost much of her original 1960s interiors). Personally I preferred and still prefer her post "Project Lifestyle" refit interiors and am glad they have been retained as they make her more mature and classic in my opinion and that's how I know her interiors in person.

Thomas
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #65 on: Jan 07, 2018, 01:04 AM »
I hope she would have a "fresh" 1969 feel in some places.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #66 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:32 AM »
I hope she would have a "fresh" 1969 feel in some places.

Some of her interiors are largely original and have been retained as such. However, personally, I'd be against making her interiors anymore like they were in 1969 (along with exterior alterations) for fear of making her what she never has been, a hotch-potch between what she was originally and what she was in the end. In my opinion their current retaining of her interiors as they were at the end with minor but needed refreshing (as she was getting tired in the end in 2008) is the best thing we could have as it means she's not getting a "re-imagining" as to how they may think she should be or how they'd want her to be if they wanted to start from scratch.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #67 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:15 PM »
Well, IF and its a big if But March 30th  seemingly is the big day.
However given past history , etc why believe things now....

I know iv been away for 5 weeks , but there seems very little in the way of whats happening onboard the past few weeks...   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Alex back on the QE2 Hotel, February 2023

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 26
Views: 2146
Last post Mar 21, 2023, 12:48 AM
by Barumfox
May 2018 is the latest date being heard for QE2 Hotel to open

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Discussions about QE2 while laid up (2008 to 2018)

Replies: 36
Views: 6357
Last post Apr 07, 2018, 11:15 AM
by Thomas Hypher
Forum members at QE2 Hotel Dubai - Nov / Dec 2023

Replies: 52
Views: 4080
Last post Jan 04, 2024, 10:01 AM
by Cunarder Man
Press coverage of QE2 Hotel Dubai

Replies: 63
Views: 9143
Last post Sep 17, 2019, 04:02 PM
by June Ingram
QE2 Hotel - The Lifeaboats

Started by ChrisBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 16
Views: 2310
Last post May 16, 2020, 06:36 PM
by Alex Tarry