Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Scotland People release online deaths records of seamen  (Read 923 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

"A complete record of the deaths of Scottish seafarers from late Victorian times until 1974 is being made available online through Scotlands People" The monthly returns list Scots along with other nationalities serving on British Registered vessels between 1897 and 1974. 

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=2345

An interesting example is given of William M Murdoch First Officer of RMS Titanic along with 24 other Scottish born crew members. 

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?2343

Looks like an interesting resource for those wanting to trace deaths of seamen. 
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2015, 07:47 PM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Scotland People release online deaths records of seamen
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2015, 07:53 PM »
Hi Lynda - Thanks very much for posting the links to information about these resources being made available.  It is fascinating material and will be a huge resource for those doing research as well as families.  June
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2015, 08:25 PM »
That you so much for those pages, I will for sure read them :)

One quick question, is Do. one the sheet which has Mr. Murdoch on it, some soft of abbreviation for the same as above?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2015, 09:01 PM »
That you so much for those pages, I will for sure read them :)

One quick question, is Do. one the sheet which has Mr. Murdoch on it, some soft of abbreviation for the same as above?

The sheet showing Mr Murdoch is an example of what information can be seen when researching the records.  Fascinating that the address of many seamen was Southampton because that was where they were lodging. But also good that Nationality or birthplace is shown which helps with identification. I have used Scotlands People for much of my family tree research and it is an excellent resource. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com