Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: 1979 QE2 Geiranger Fjord Norwegian cruise photo  (Read 2601 times)

Offline neil parrott

1979 QE2 Geiranger Fjord Norwegian cruise photo
« on: Aug 03, 2015, 10:21 PM »
I bought this picture on board in 1980 whilst i served on her.i have seen this picture saying it was norwegian cruise 1981.wrong..
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2015, 11:33 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
Re: Qe2 norwegian cruise photo
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2015, 11:13 AM »
Hello Neil,

You are quite right about the date, the photo was actually taken in 1979. there was also one taken in 1980 when she had the blue boot topping but pictures of her in that colour seem to be quite scarce.

The photo was taken by either myself or Tony Secker (Probably Tony). We were both picked up from QE2 at the entry to Geirranga fjord by a smallish power boat which had been prearranged with the ships agent. We then raced on ahead of the ship to several picturesque locations, that image is one of many taken that day. This picture has featured in many books and was used by Cunard for a few years as a postcard.

It was, and probably still is, quite common to sell a good 'stock' photo of a ship for several years, so on a Norway cruise in 1981 for example someone who bought that photo would probably assume it was taken on the current cruise.

I have attached a less faded copy of your picture along with another I took in Geirranga probably on the same shoot. Sorry about the quality of the second image, I only have a 20 x 16 inch print of it which I have not been able to get scanned anywhere so I had to take a photo of it.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Qe2 norwegian cruise photo
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2015, 11:32 AM »
Beautiful pictures! And wonderful to read these memories ... that must have been a fabulous day for you as photographers!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: 1979 QE2 Geiranger Fjord Norwegian cruise photo
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2015, 08:14 PM »
These are wonderful photos.  Thank you very much for posting them, and I can only imagine the kind of memories they evoke of the day they were taken !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline neil parrott

« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2015, 10:38 AM »
Hello Neil,

You are quite right about the date, the photo was actually taken in 1979. there was also one taken in 1980 when she had the blue boot topping but pictures of her in that colour seem to be quite scarce.

The photo was taken by either myself or Tony Secker (Probably Tony). We were both picked up from QE2 at the entry to Geirranga fjord by a smallish power boat which had been prearranged with the ships agent. We then raced on ahead of the ship to several picturesque locations, that image is one of many taken that day. This picture has featured in many books and was used by Cunard for a few years as a postcard.

It was, and probably still is, quite common to sell a good 'stock' photo of a ship for several years, so on a Norway cruise in 1981 for example someone who bought that photo would probably assume it was taken on the current cruise.

I have attached a less faded copy of your picture along with another I took in Geirranga probably on the same shoot. Sorry about the quality of the second image, I only have a 20 x 16 inch print of it which I have not been able to get scanned anywhere so I had to take a photo of it.
Sorry alan the one i have has a blue painted bottom .

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2015, 10:49 AM »
Brilliant to see that these photos have been treasured for over 30 years and so interesting to hear Alan's ship's photographer's account of taking the photos. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2015, 11:52 AM »
Sorry alan the one i have has a blue painted bottom .

Hi Neil,
I hadn't initially noticed that it was a different image from the one I posted although it was taken in a very similar location. You have one of the rarer prints which, in common with many prints from on board around that time, has faded quite badly.

If you would like to email me a copy of your image I will see what I can do to restore and repost it. My email details are in my profile.

Offline neil parrott

« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2015, 02:20 PM »
Hi Neil,
I hadn't initially noticed that it was a different image from the one I posted although it was taken in a very similar location. You have one of the rarer prints which, in common with many prints from on board around that time, has faded quite badly.

If you would like to email me a copy of your image I will see what I can do to restore and repost it. My email details are in my profile.
Ok that will be good thanks.I've got a photo here of me and a welsh guy called gary .we were both working in the officers mess and galley.it was taken outside on deck .included is the back with print number on .i wonder if you took this.i'm the ugly one on the right.lol..

« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2015, 03:34 PM »
Ok that will be good thanks.I've got a photo here of me and a welsh guy called gary .we were both working in the officers mess and galley.it was taken outside on deck .included is the back with print number on .i wonder if you took this.i'm the ugly one on the right.lol..

Two handsome guys on a beautiful ship in a gorgeous location -- thank you for sharing your memories with us!

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2015, 03:44 PM »

This would have been taken by one of my colleagues. If it was in Geirranga I would have been off the ship at that point taking photos of the ship.

« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2015, 07:58 PM »
This would have been taken by one of my colleagues. If it was in Geirranga I would have been off the ship at that point taking photos of the ship.

Could it have been taken while the ship was cruising very slowly up (or down) Geiranger Fjord?

Offline Rod

« Reply #11 on: Aug 05, 2015, 10:44 PM »
I have the top pic somewhere. Taken by Tony I believe. The wonderful thin about the original is that you could hold it upside down and it would still be good. Sadly, after being in the wrong place in our house, it faded.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #12 on: Aug 31, 2019, 12:19 PM »
Well I was clearing out some old folders and came across one which contained all these images of QE2 in Geiranger in 1981. One or two are classic shots that we sold lots of but some have probably not been seen since 1981. Enjoy!!
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2019, 12:22 PM by Alan Snelson »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #13 on: Aug 31, 2019, 12:55 PM »
Fantastic photos and a great find Alan.  It is brilliant to see such good images of QE2 with the white and black funnel.

Keep clearing out folders - you never know what other QE2 treasures you may find.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Joseph McDonough

« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2019, 04:46 PM »
Fantastic shots. Have been to the area myself

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2019, 07:45 PM »
If you have photos it would be good if you could post them on this topic.
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2019, 06:05 PM »
They always seemed to have these photos featured in Ocean Pictures Phoptography shop onboard.
I would like to think they were updated each year with new photos rather than changing the Year date.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!