Poll

Which hull color do you prefer for the Rotterdam?

Orginal and Current, 'duifgrijze' grey
9 (75%)
Dark blue
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Hull color  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

Hull color
« on: Jul 22, 2015, 05:09 PM »
Just out of curiosity, the QE2 was for a very short time painted in a grey color. From what I believe that color was soon returned to it orginal dark blue/black color.

The Rotterdam had a grey hull, from the day she entered service. Something they started doing when the Ryndam and Maasdam came into service, and while in dry dock in 1956 the Nieuw Amsterdam was also given this color.

By 1973 the company celebrated its 100th anniversary, and all the ships in there fleet where given a more traditional dark grey hull. Apart from the Nieuw Amsterdam, which was retired after 1974.

The ship kept this color until 20 december 2005 when the ship entered dry dock, and the color was restored into the 'duifgrijze' grey color. The ship also had a gold-color strip along here hull, which was reapplied. She looked like how she entered service in 1959 again.

Personally, I prefer the original and current color more then the blue color, the ship looks smaller in my and less pleasing to look at. Maybe the ships profile was what made the color look good, and that is the same reason why the blue color looks so well on QE2 instead pebble grey.

Fun fact, the super structure of the ship was painted red for the launch. On other ships the hull color, most of the time, black ore dark blue, was painted white for the photographs. I do have a really nice black and white photograph which shows this color combination. If anyone is interested, I can take a picture of it and post it here.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Hull color
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2015, 06:17 PM »
Hi Bob -

Thanks for your discussion of SS Rotterdam's hull color.  While I actually preferred her in a darker hull color, I voted for the light grey which was her original hull color.

Agreed that our QE2's darker hull color is much more complimentary than was the pebble grey. 

June  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline cameroa

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2015, 06:34 PM »
I agree with you June.
As we all know, though it is often mistaken and unless I am mistaken and someone can correct me, The QE2 never, ever, had a BLACK hull.
Kindest as ever,
Angus.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2015, 06:48 PM »
I agree with you June.
As we all know, though it is often mistaken and unless I am mistaken and someone can correct me, The QE2 never, ever, had a BLACK hull.
Kindest as ever,
Angus.

There are references to the colour of QE2's hull specifically in post #18!
QE2 Story Forum » The QE2's Story » Service Life (1969 - 2008) » The 1980s » QE2 in white / grey / pebble grey hull colours 1983-1984

QE2 is / was 'Federal Gray' for much of her career.
Curiously,  on board the ship last week QM2's hull was described as blackish by one of the senior officers
Wishing now that I'd bought home a sample!

Mods - I'm sorry as this is off topic - also, I can't make the link to the post work...
(My brain or computer? Possibly both!)
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2015, 06:50 PM by Twynkle »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2015, 10:31 PM »
Before I cast my vote, would it be possible to have comparative photos ( side by side, same angle, same scale, one in each colour ) posted up on here please?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2015, 12:12 PM »
Sorry, I forget to post any pictures, very good point. I have added them in this post.

The grey hull:

The blue hull:

When I tried to find a picture of the Rotterdam in her blue hull, I found out that there aren't pictures in those color floating around the web, ore even in the various books I own, and the ones that I did found, such as the example above, where paintings, pictures from high up in the air. Ore after here layup in Freeport, which also don't give the color a that good looking because of all the rust streaks that run along here hull.

As a little bonus I have added the red super structure photo, I toke a photograph of it with my telephone, and the original isn't really a great quality picture, so this version doesn't make it anything better. This photo was found in the HAL archives along with a lot more beautiful pictures that appear in this book.

---

Edit: I forget to mention the origins of the pictures, the painting of the ship in here dark blue color was made by: Frans Romreijnsen, a Dutch painter who has painted a lot ships, past and present. The picture is hosted on a website which hosted pictures of many other Dutch Maritime Painters. The grey hull picture came from this website: http://sjhmulde.home.xs4all.nl/start.htm, a Dutch man who's name I could not find on his website sadly, so I will put a like down here to his website: http://sjhmulde.home.xs4all.nl/start.htm
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2015, 07:51 PM by Bob van Leeuwen »

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Hi Bob, these photos are very interesting and helpful for your poll.

For copyright reasons, could you please add the sources for the pictures above? Just click "modify", and you can insert the hyperlinks for the web sites where you found them. Thank you! Once this is done, I shall of course delete this post here :) .

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2015, 07:35 PM »
I will look it up straight away, I don't really minder you leaving the post here, unless you want to delete it. We all can make mistakes, and it nice for other new people who might came across this topic to also know it :)

Hull contour plans - QM2

Started by Dr. Edmund CarusBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 3
Views: 2700
Last post Apr 20, 2009, 09:47 PM
by Dr. Edmund Carus
Caesarian operations on QE2's hull

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 12
Views: 5532
Last post Sep 19, 2011, 11:25 PM
by Rod
Can QE2 's hull be classed as an icebreaker?

Started by Cruise_PrincessBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 15
Views: 6426
Last post Apr 20, 2010, 12:32 AM
by Magic Pipe
Marine Bio Security: Invasive pests on Ships' Hull

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 2
Views: 348
Last post Jan 05, 2023, 10:53 PM
by Chris Thompson
Hello from Hull