Author Topic: Something that's a reminder of QE2...?  (Read 38307 times)

Offline Twynkle

Something that's a reminder of QE2...?
« on: Jul 04, 2009, 09:00 PM »

Has anyone seen something that reminds you of QE2?

Today it was a brand new red and black Mini, against a clear blue sky, shining in bright sunlight....

Your turn....!

Offline Twynkle

Re: Something that's a reminder of QE2...?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2009, 07:05 PM »

Nice thought!
http://www.bridlingtonfreepress.co.uk/news/QE2-remembered-at-hidden-gardens.5417627.jp

(and btw - doesn't anyone else get the odd reminder of QE2 - just sometimes!!)

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2009, 06:21 PM »
I wish I'd known about that in advance - it's only just up the road (OK about an hour) I'd have paid a visit  :)

Offline Heather

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2009, 10:22 PM »
Every time I drive along the near the Clyde, especially Greenock I think of the QE2.  Brings a tear to my eye that I won't see the beautiful shape of the QE2 on the Clyde again.  I think of the night that she sailed away from Greenock for the last time and I was breaking my heart!!!    My house has a few paintings of the QE2 and lots of lovely memories , so every time I look at them I get emotional!   :'(

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2009, 05:52 AM »
Every time I drive along the near the Clyde, especially Greenock I think of the QE2.  Brings a tear to my eye that I won't see the beautiful shape of the QE2 on the Clyde again.  I think of the night that she sailed away from Greenock for the last time and I was breaking my heart!!!    My house has a few paintings of the QE2 and lots of lovely memories , so every time I look at them I get emotional!   :'(

Hi Heather.  Welcome!  You have stumbled onto a truly wonderful site of QE2 fans.  

I visited the Clyde for the first time on QE2 for her final time.  It was a beautiful day and I am still struck by the beauty of the entire area.  I have this dream on getting Nakheel to return her to Clydebank and moor her in the fitting out basin next to the Titan Crane that helped build her...probably the two last remaining icons of shipbuilding on the Clyde.  I hope that events turn this way after the ship is run successfully in Capetown as a hotel.  Take a look as some of the previous posts.  When I saw the Clyde from the crane, the first thing that popped in my mind was that they had it all wrong and that the ship belonged back home here, not in some desert with no connection to her at all.  I initially thought Southampton would be the ideal place, but the fitting out basin at Clydebank makes much more sense.  I could imagine this being quite a boon to local jobs and tourism to have her permanently berthed there as a hotel and conference center.  The site is ripe for developement too!  Scotland needs to somehow find the money to get her back home.  I can just imagine the energy that would be created with word that this is even a consideration.  Perhaps the current owner/developer can get some assistance form the govermnent to develope the site too into a museum for Clydebuilt shipping. The Capetown deal has given us some breathing room to make this happen!  Bring the Queen back home!

For me, I made the trip into NYC each time the ship was in port for her final year.  I still make a similar trip every two weeks, traveling to Long Island for laboratory we are building.  (interestingly the total cost of the project is very close to the sellingprice of QE2 to put things in perspective) EVERYTIME I see the sign for the Henry Hudson Parkway, it reminds me of the very early morning trips I made to see the ship arrive.  I also travel over the Throgs Neck Bridge into Long Island and look over to my right and see the NYC skyline and Redhook in the distance and look for a red funnel.  :(
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2009, 06:01 AM by highlander0108 »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2009, 07:26 AM »

Looking around my house filled with all those stuff i bought around the world.

And of course my wife Anja,if it wasnt for the QE2 we would have never meet.And i would have never got my 2 lovely kids.

And the amount of time i sit with them and talk about the QE2 and show them all the photos.QE2 is also part of my kids life.In each ones bedroom their is a photo on the wall from the Lady.

Louis

Offline pete cain

speed Queen
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2009, 08:30 PM »
 Hello anybody who wants to read this,have been away for awhile camping!, very nice it was too (really) but after some time you have to wash your (our smalls), & so I found myself on the Caravan Club site at Great Malvern last wewekend en-route for vanfest09,  apparently the biggest VW van festival in Europe, I'm in no position to argue , but it is pretty damm big!! but as I say one has to wash things. having carried out the necessary duties, you have to spindry said items, & so having loaded bits& bobs into the spindryer I sat down to watch it go round for 20 mins whillst mrs Pete munched choccys back at the camper.Lo & behold the spindryer was called  Speed Queen!, I sat on my own for that 20mins thinkin......................., anyway  when I left said launderette, it was really a beautifull sunset , maroon colours over Elgar country, but I just so wanted to be on my own speed queen, with that same sunset , somewhere out there ,I knew there was a speed queen link on the site  & just thought well maybe it may be a Little interesting (or not) pete cain.....

Offline Twynkle

Re: speed Queen
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2009, 08:45 PM »
Hello, Pete
Great to see you, btw!
You forgot say whether your Camper Van
has a name that equals that of the spin-dryer - or better than....
Looking forward to your next installment.
Rgds to Mrs Pete
Rosie

PS - Would you and Mrs Pete like to come and have dinner in the Queen's Grill sometime?
Rob's there too, but usually arrives later....
(Before we fix a date, maybe I'd better check that my onboard spending allowance has arrived!!)

« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2009, 09:42 PM by Twynkle »

Offline pete cain

How long since your last bath??
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2009, 08:22 PM »
 Just realised, ( have been working all day getting rid of silicone sealant around  my shower base)  & re-sealing it, that i've had my first bath since being on the QE2 , bit ANAL, but ......................

Offline Malcolm

Re: How long since your last bath??
« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2009, 11:21 AM »
I think my last bath was on the QE2! sometime around Christmas 2005 or 2006 :)

Offline MiamiCunarder

« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2009, 03:52 PM »

My g/f and I were passing through the back lobby of a waterfront Savannah hotel two weekends ago to avoid an afternoon shower. As we came to the back entrance/exit to the hotel, I came to a dead stop. For a second, I was back on QE2, in thought. For some inexplicable reason, the room smelled exactly like an ocean liner...QE2... that combination of smells...diesel (during bunkering), teak, engine lubricating oil,with a faint smell of cigar (or just smoke). I looked around and couldn't explain how that combination had come to pass though I noticed big vents on the ceiling. Perhaps that was it.
Actually, I recall that most of the passenger decks carried that familiar smell. Perhaps the vents around the corridors were the source?

Ron

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2009, 01:29 PM »
This seemed to remind someone!
http://twitpic.com/m3yww

Offline Chris

« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2009, 01:31 PM »
I was sitting in the lounge at a Sheraton hotel recently - the lights were dimmed, there was a piano playing and the sound of happy chatter... closing my eyes I momentarily was back aboard QE2 in the Chart Room... it was superb.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2009, 06:11 PM »
On the second to last night of my January 2008 crossing, I came down with the Noro virus, quite suddenly actually, and almost killed myself, tripping on the lip ofthe floor rushing to get into the bathroom in my cabin in total darkness.  Despite that, I managed to have the best time onboard.  Fast forward to work on this past Monday and I suddenly had the very same feeling.   :o In the car on my way home, I chuckled to myself since the last time I was this sick was on .....QE2.   :o  Funny how I seem to be able to relate something, practically everyday, back to the ship.  :D

Ken
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Chris

« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2009, 06:04 AM »
Like most Commonwealth countries we have buildings named after Royalty. Anyway, the other day I drove past signs for "QE2 Parking"... I 1/2 expected to see the ship and the QEII passenger terminal but alas, it was just the Hospital.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Newsletter March 2014: Photo Competition Reminder

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters

Replies: 0
Views: 2121
Last post Mar 25, 2014, 02:01 PM
by Lynda Bradford