Author Topic: Something that's a reminder of QE2...?  (Read 24169 times)

Offline skilly56

Re: Something that's a reminder of QE2...?
« Reply #60 on: Apr 30, 2010, 10:05 PM »
Rosie,

Attached is photo of the Wheelhouse carpet, along with OOW scratching his brain! (pretending to be working!) whilst we were approaching Messina Strait, 7/2008.

Carpet has no pattern in it - just looks like someone spilled red wine everywhere!

Cheers
Skilly

Offline skilly56

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2010, 06:02 AM »
Cunard must have had a special run of carpet made just for Rob! It now has a 'The QE2Story' pattern in it! :D

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #62 on: Jul 17, 2010, 11:50 PM »
Morello Cherry jam. A tiny jar of it arrived, unbidden (once the waiter knew my preference!) and delicious, every morning on my breakfast table.

I have just cooked ten lbs of it... that should stretch these memories for a while!
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2010, 08:02 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #63 on: Jul 18, 2010, 12:37 AM »
Morello Cherry jam. A tiny jar of it arrived, unbidden and delicious, every morning on my breakfast table.

I have just cooked ten lbs of it... that should stretch these memories for a while!

Good thinking, Isabelle!

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline QueensFan

« Reply #64 on: Jul 19, 2010, 03:21 AM »
I thought of one today. Living in Manhattan half the year, I pass by the West Side piers at least once a week or so. And every time I go past them, whether I'm cycling down the Hudson or on my way to ship geek with a lesser vessel than QE2, I can still remember the first time.

Coming downtown from the Bronx in our old Land Rover, my parents, brother, and two cousins crammed in with me and a lot of winter gear. 21 December 2003. I look ahead out the windscreen, waiting to see it...and then...there it is...that glorious red funnel! Peeking out past the blue stacks of Norwegian Dawn, suggesting power, might, and glory tied up to New York City.

"Bribing" the security people to let us park up top. The six of us, heading down into the terminal to watch the lucky people boarding the great ship, for Christmas in the Caribbean. The great name, "QUEEN ELIZABETH 2," peeking through the window in glorious Helvetica.

We watched her off from the top deck of the pier that day, listening to that glorious whistle and returning it with the horn of the old Discovery. Yelling "Bon Voyage" and "Happy Trails" to the people lining Boat Deck as the commentary whirred on the tannoy. I had fulfilled half of a 13-year-long-life's wish: to see QE2 in the steel. The other half? To sail on her. And I had to make that day come.

And so many other memories. Seeing that terminal and that ship from across the great and mighty Hudson a few months later, the last time she called as flagship with the ship that would become my #2, Queen Mary 2. Suddenly, the huge QE2 didn't look so huge anymore...but still, oh so glorious.

The last time I thought she'd leave from Manhattan in 2006, after the Brooklyn piers were opened, I begged my dad to drive me to Weehawken to see her off. I thought I was a rare spectator to maritime history. If only I knew that two-and-a-half years later, I'd be there again for a final (?) farewell.

Then the 2008 calls. The January call, comparing the grace and beauty of QE2 to Queen Victoria (still a ship dear to me).

Then April 2008, when I finally fulfilled the other half of 2003's wish, stepping into the glorious Midships Lobby...at least I think I did, since everything between getting on the gangplank and getting to my cabin is a complete blur. And then, for the first time, her whistle blows above me on Sun Deck, and the lines are cast. We edge backwards with the help of the Moran tugs, and for the first time in 18 years, 2 months, and 15 days, I leave the confines of the United States of America in the best of style, sailing to Europe on the Greatest Ship in the World. I watched those piers recede into the distance from the ship, instead of the reverse.

Two more times. 16 September 2008, when I "broke in" to Pier 90 as QE2 sailed away from Pier 88. Yelling bon voyages again, this time to a friend on Signal Deck. Watching her receding in the distance, knowing that there would be one more time, and one more only, of this great ship in this great city.

And finally, 16 October 2008, as I rush uptown with a fellow ship geek from seeing the two ships in from the Battery, seeing the final moments of QE2's arrival in Manhattan for the last time ever. The red nightvision-friendly lights on the bridge aglow, the dawn not yet broken. Friends reuniting on the pier side, then breaking in to the top deck to see the dawn arrive with our great ship in the background.

Since I saw her off that day from the Battery, that's the last time I saw QE2 in Manhattan. Nothing else especially exciting called after that. But every time I went down the West Side, or looked across as I left the Lincoln Tunnel on the Helix in New Jersey, I could see her there once again, red funnel lit and proud, ready to cast off again.

In September 2009, I went back to see Queen Victoria at the piers, having booked the 2010 Winter Crossing on her and eager to check her out again. But it was different now. The old chain link fence was replaced by a fortresslike fence, with a beautiful wave pattern that prevented photos. There was no way I was going to get into the forecourt to photograph the ship, as I had for QE2 and so many other ships in the "old days." The security rent-a-cop told me it was a 9/11 thing. Yet I had done it every time since that horrible day.

Maybe it's for the best. I have some shots of some ships through the grating of the new fence, but I'll probably never go inside them again unless I'm a paying passenger (as I did in January). My ship geeking days on the top of Pier 90 are done.

But that makes it even more special...as every time I pass by, I can see the funnel again, feel the whistle running through my bones...and for a moment, even if she sits alone in Dubai, she's once again in New York waiting to head across the ocean.
--- Greg

« Reply #65 on: Aug 24, 2010, 02:46 PM »
What a beautiful posting, Greg.

Thank you for your memories and the stories of your encounters with QE2. You tell it so well, it is easy to imagine myself there too! And thanks also for yelling to us on 16 September 2008 -- I was there on board (  :D ) for the big adventure of a New York arrival and sailaway, all on the same day. And what a spectacular sunset it was, that day... a store of memories to treasure.

Hope you'll continue to think of QE2 as you cycle past those places she called her home for so long.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #66 on: Aug 24, 2010, 04:35 PM »
This is what you call being in the right place at the right time and having your camera with you to capture the shot. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #67 on: Jan 08, 2011, 01:26 AM »
Changez (QE2 Yacht Club) are playing on QV tonight - Simply the Best!

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Janice Naylor

« Reply #68 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:06 PM »
I enjoyed reading the comments in this topic ... each person has their own QE2 "triggers."  I've attached an aerial photo of the Nanotech center at the State University at Albany, New York.  In the lower right hand corner you'll see a building that is an abstract of a ship ... at least I hope that's what you will see.  :D   Whenever I drive by that building I think of the QE2.

When I was on board the QE2 in 1978 I bought an inexpensive key ring to give to my niece but somehow never parted with it.  Attached to that key ring is a small tube of water in which the QE2 still sails from NYC to Southampton and back. While the photos, etc. from that trip have been long tucked away, this little key ring sits on a shelf in my parlor along with other momentos from other adventures.  It always makes me smile.

Janice
Whenever I hear a sea story I think of the first time I saw the QE2 and the great adventures that followed.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #69 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:11 AM »
 I have a set of black and white QE2 launch photos on my stairwell and every time I walk up the stairs I look at the 3 photos of her. The first one shows her sitting majestically awaiting her launch.  The second one shows the ship sliding down the slipway into the Clyde and the third one shows her sitting on the Clyde, afloat for the first time with the tugs around her.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

« Reply #70 on: Jun 09, 2012, 10:10 PM »
These long daylight hours in the Northern hemisphere...

This is the time of year when we used to take our QE2 cruises up to the North of Europe, along the Norwegian coast, into the Baltic Sea, and one very special one all the way up to Longyearbyen in Svalbard, only 1000 km (or is it miles?) from the North Pole.

The Nordic Midsummer Festival, coming up in a fortnight's time, will always remind me of QE2 (and Caronia too, as one of those voyages was on her) and make me feel both happy and nostalgic...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #71 on: Jun 10, 2012, 07:17 PM »
These long daylight hours in the Northern hemisphere...

This is the time of year when we used to take our QE2 cruises up to the North of Europe, along the Norwegian coast, into the Baltic Sea, and one very special one all the way up to Longyearbyen in Svalbard, only 1000 km (or is it miles?) from the North Pole.

The Nordic Midsummer Festival, coming up in a fortnight's time, will always remind me of QE2 (and Caronia too, as one of those voyages was on her) and make me feel both happy and nostalgic...

I'm sure a trip on Queen Victoria to the same area, as Lynda did last week, would remind you of QE2 in many ways too :)
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #72 on: Jun 10, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Last Tuesday before dawn, as QM2 came into view it wasn't difficult to imagine how it had been when QE2 was arriving home.
In the evening, we waited on the water for the fireworks, heard the same sounds, then the same music - similar whistles, the flags, singing and waving...For auld lang syne
It was all a big reminder of that cold and incredibly sad evening when QE2 sailed for Dubai.

Offline Rod

« Reply #73 on: Jun 27, 2012, 11:02 PM »
Scar on the back of my neck from fighting the big fire!

Online Bob C.

« Reply #74 on: Dec 01, 2012, 01:03 PM »
These are some of the spires on Space Mountain at Walt Disney World which I pass on my way to work. To any QE2 enthusiast, these shapes look very familiar and I can only wonder if our girl influenced the design as it was being formed in the early '70's.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/lioness458/4673930612/

« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012, 01:05 PM by Bob C. »

« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2014, 02:57 PM »
I have been struck by the fact that I am still carrying around with me (almost every single day!) several things brought from QE2 :

• a QE2 lanyard, on which I carry my staff card
  • the Cunard pouch which we received in 2006, in which I carry my ATM card as well as my very last QE2 security card.

I also use, every day at breakfast time, a QE2 mug bought on board. And stir my tea with a spoon that somehow never got returned to the Lido washing-up... And when I travel, I use a QE2 rucksack (which unfortunately is almost past repair at this stage and may have to be replaced). My "I Heart QE2" T-shirt is in regular use, and my bunch of keys has a QE2 anniversary keyring (a very special gift I received after 2008!).

Quite amazing -- almost 6 years since I last saw her, and she is still so much part of my everyday life...

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2014, 10:35 PM »
Whenever I hear  --         ''Bluuue, ------    Spaaaanish  Eyes, --------''   
Willum

« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2014, 10:54 PM »

Tell us more, Willum..... ;D

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2014, 11:01 PM »

Happy Memories, Willum!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:03 PM by Twynkle »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2014, 08:50 AM »
Black and White launch photos on the stair wall of QE2 sliding down the slipway into the Clyde that I see every time I go up and down the stairs, a Robert Lloyd print in the living room, that I am sitting looking at just now, QE2 teddy bears that have taken up residence in our spare room......and of course "The QE2 Story"
www.qe2event.com

Newsletter March 2014: Photo Competition Reminder

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters

Replies: 0
Views: 1550
Last post Mar 25, 2014, 02:01 PM
by Lynda Bradford