Author Topic: Something that's a reminder of QE2...?  (Read 24044 times)

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
Re: Something that's a reminder of QE2...?
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Great to see how she is still a part of your lives every day even after 6 years. :)
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2014, 06:00 PM »
The memories, and if l ever loose them, please just shoot me....
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #82 on: Jun 04, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Walking below ground through Leicester Square underground today I was very aware of a really loud and wonderful sound - at exactly the very same pitch as QE2's whistle!
It was coming from an industrial size fan on a tripod, at the foot of the escalators;
it was so tempting to ask if it was up for being loaned out!
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #83 on: Feb 02, 2015, 10:15 PM »
Key Lime Pie.

I ate some today -- first time since those midnight buffets on QE2. I could never resist the Key Lime Pie there, even if I had already eaten more than my fill of other goodies at dinner time.

I found some Key Lime Pie at Lidl today, made by that excellent firm GÜ. Highly recommended... although the Key Lime Pie on QE2 was even better :) .

Offline PaulInuk

• passenger and crew at sametime
  • Mauretania Diner (Late Sitting)
« Reply #84 on: Apr 26, 2015, 08:12 PM »
My world cruise member badges, also signed chefs hats, working in the kitchen/s, some ephemera i have to, and she was built in uk

Offline cameroa

« Reply #85 on: Jun 01, 2015, 08:48 AM »
The tattoo on my right arm, my mobile phone's ring tone (QE2 whistle), the prints, photographs & paintings  around the walls and display cabinets full of Cunard QE2 china, glass, silverware and emphemera in one of my spare rooms. 😄??🚢

Online Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #86 on: Jun 01, 2015, 09:07 AM »
QE2 photos on my bulletin board, shirt and hat, items in my "cruise ship drawer", the QE2 luggage tag above my computer( thanks to Myles!), and the 1/200 model on my bookcase.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online skilly56

« Reply #87 on: Aug 02, 2015, 02:29 PM »
These have been hanging on the bedroom door handles at home for 7 years now - for some weird reason they just don't work like they did on the ship!

Also discovered this photo of a mug - it might explain a family connection I have.

Skilly

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #88 on: Dec 07, 2015, 04:29 AM »
This reminded me of our ship today. A decal on the side of a local travel agency.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #89 on: Dec 09, 2015, 12:46 PM »
This is another reminder - QE2 champagne given to my dad by Commodore Warwick in 1998.

« Reply #90 on: Sep 22, 2016, 12:52 PM »
I have been reminded of QE2 a couple of times when staying in a hotel.

I have never liked air conditioning, always want to open my bedroom window, even slightly. QE2 was the first place where I had no choice but to accept my bedroom being aired artificially -- and I got used to it, although there was the occasional struggle after embarkation, until the system had settled down to a regime I was happy with.

Since then, I have had the same situation in the occasional hotel, and it always reminds me of the air conditioning in my QE2 cabins :) .

« Reply #91 on: Jul 06, 2018, 10:58 PM »
The very last bottle of QE2 Pol Acker, opened today.

Between the three of us, we usually drank just one of our bottles of Pol Acker, and I usually went home with one or two of them after a cruise. These were then opened, a little unenthusiastically, but with fond memories of QE2, on other occasions.

Just one bottle survived, and even moved house with me. This evening, for no particular reason at all, I opened it, to be drunk mixed with Cassis de Dijon (another long-time survivor) as a sort of Kir Royal. And as such, it is not bad at all.

Cheers! A toast to my favourite Queen :) .

trevorc

« Reply #92 on: Jul 07, 2018, 02:21 AM »
Key Lime Pie.

I ate some today -- first time since those midnight buffets on QE2. I could never resist the Key Lime Pie there, even if I had already eaten more than my fill of other goodies at dinner time.

I found some Key Lime Pie at Lidl today, made by that excellent firm GÜ. Highly recommended... although the Key Lime Pie on QE2 was even better :) .
Key Lime Pie is amazing when homemade!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #93 on: Jul 08, 2018, 02:03 PM »
The very last bottle of QE2 Pol Acker, opened today.

Between the three of us, we usually drank just one of our bottles of Pol Acker, and I usually went home with one or two of them after a cruise. These were then opened, a little unenthusiastically, but with fond memories of QE2, on other occasions.

Just one bottle survived, and even moved house with me. This evening, for no particular reason at all, I opened it, to be drunk mixed with Cassis de Dijon (another long-time survivor) as a sort of Kir Royal. And as such, it is not bad at all.

Cheers! A toast to my favourite Queen :) .

I love the fact that you save it for so long, and then just had it because you wanted to.  Perfect.

Pol Acker, which I've never heard mentioned anywhere except in relation to Cunard, is still present and correct on board the current Cunarders today.  I don't particularly mind it, but its certainly not memorable, and it always gets a laugh when we see it.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2018, 06:51 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #94 on: Nov 30, 2018, 04:47 PM »
CHANGEZ are on board QV!
Still wonderful and will be posting pics of QE2 some day quite soon
Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #95 on: Dec 03, 2018, 01:32 PM »
Plain and simple for me and it happens practically every day:

Every time I drive past Inchgreen Dry Dock I am reminded of QE2.

Gav

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #96 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:57 PM »
This website :)
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

« Reply #97 on: Mar 07, 2019, 07:31 PM »
Three long cotton skirts : one pale blue, one black and one beige, which my Mum and I bought and wore on board for smart-casual evenings. They were very simple one-size-fits-all and could easily be made to look rather smart with the help of suitable tops and accessories.

After our life with and on QE2 was over, I took over all three of them, had pockets fitted into the sides, and now wear them quite often, as everyday skirts, with rather ordinary tops and accessories, and with deep pockets to hold keys, purses and whatever else.

But all this time, they are still saying to me : "I was on QE2, and you wore me for very special evenings...". And they and I share that little secret in our ordinary everyday lives  ;) ...

Online Andy Holloway

Does anybody know what this is?
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2019, 07:09 PM »

Yes i know that it's a clock, but what sort of clock is/was it?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #99 on: Aug 11, 2019, 06:19 PM »
I do not have an answer to Andy's post about the clock, but revisiting this topic I started to read the posts from the start of the topic which was fun to read about reminders of QE2.

In particular Queens Fan's story captures the imagination as does Bob C's picture

What reminds you of QE2?

and do you have an answer to Andy's question?

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com