Author Topic: Something that's a reminder of QE2...?  (Read 24051 times)

Offline QE2 Canuck

Re: Something that's a reminder of QE2...?
« Reply #40 on: Feb 11, 2010, 05:53 PM »
OH and I forgot one... Chris and Rachelle's book, QE2 A Photographic Journey is on my coffeetable !!

Linda

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #41 on: Feb 12, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Awhh! Thanks Linda :)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #42 on: Feb 18, 2010, 06:04 PM »
Well, for Botellitas Humar®, this whisky bottle must be a reminder of QE2 :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46378167@N04/4362232159/

Sadly, now empty...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #43 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:26 PM »
Driving past the Mini Factory in Cowley, Oxford today
On the side of the main high building - there's this big, big wall, painted  black.
At the top of the black bit - are the words MINI
Then underneath, there's a big square, with possibly 75+ small rectangles
each being a flag of the world.

A perfect reminder of the QE2 Crew  :)
who wore the flag of their country on his or her lapel
(no flags on qV crew members!)
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2010, 07:29 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #44 on: Feb 20, 2010, 01:10 AM »
My family challenging me everyday saying, 'Dad, your collection of memorabilia is taking over the house - what are you going to do with it?' I love it - it reminds me of great days aboard.

Offline Avariel

« Reply #45 on: Mar 08, 2010, 08:04 PM »
My bedroom.

*avoids stones that are being thrown at her*

HAHA

MY bed is up against a corner so I have pictures & news articles of the QE2 stuck to the wall.

It's probably sad to note that I don't have any pictures of family or friends up, but instead I have pictures of ships on my walls.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #46 on: Mar 08, 2010, 10:05 PM »
How feasible is it to decorate a bedroom in the same style as a QE2 cabin I wonder?  I'm sure it must have been done somewhere?  Ok, obviously the main difference would be the windows instead of portholes, but the general colour scheme should be do-able?  Basing the scheme on the larger cabins on 1 / 2 / 3 decks?

I am seriously thinking that when we get our next house ( few years away yet though! ) of doing the hallway / landing areas with the bright red relief pattern carpet and light wooden wall panelling used in a lot of the corridor areas on QE2, and dark blue carpet with dark oak woodwork and table for the dining room ( á la QE2 boardroom ).
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #47 on: Mar 08, 2010, 10:08 PM »
You could speak to the set designers from the Keeping Up Apperances programme - they did a REALLY good job of recreating a cabin in the studio!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #48 on: Mar 08, 2010, 10:47 PM »
Might actually do that, Rob - a cousin of mine works for the BBC... I have also snagged a couple of pictures for colour reference and I'm guessing that Flagship will have the actual colour and pattern references in his files somewhere.

probably couldn't do an exact reproduction of the interior scheme; that would probably be very expensive, but it should be possible to get a reasonably close match for not much more than what decorating would cost anyway?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #49 on: Mar 08, 2010, 11:24 PM »
.... the bright red relief pattern carpet ....

Peter - This is interesting! (And a bit off topic - V sorry!)
Please can you remember where there was carpet designed and cut in relief?
Much of the carpeting seemed to be patterned, in beautiful swirly shapes / designs, borders
or self-coloured speckles!
I have taken lots of pics of it - now worried that some got left out!
The only carpet I thought I hadn't photographed is in the wheelhouse, where it's a speckledy brown, I think!
Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #50 on: Mar 09, 2010, 10:19 AM »
Sorry - by "relief" I meant the little repeating patterns on it.

Not sure it's getting off topic as such, since the purpose would be to make the future house a reminder of QE2, but maybe this subject could be split of into a separate thread as it looks like it could be quite a busy sub-topic in itself?  I'm sure that now I've given everyone the idea I won't be the only one aiming at ultimately doing this...?

Offline mickey g

« Reply #51 on: Mar 09, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Last week I did a Red Sea cruise on board Thomson Celebration (I thought it would be a bit of a come down after QE2/QM2, not a bit of it, a great ship and crew).

Crossing the Red Sea at night on the after deck (the Lido Deck) I stood looking out over the rail on the port side with my glass of red wine remembering the pleasure I got from standing at more or less the same position on the after deck behind the wonderful Yacht Club on QE2  :)

A further reminder was wondering at what position we crossed the track of QE2's voyage to Dubai, which I was lucky enough to be on.....................sweet memories
Yacht Club lover

Offline Kathy M.

Life Ring
« Reply #52 on: Apr 19, 2010, 02:29 AM »
After being seated for dinner tonight in a restaurant, I glanced around at the walls and spotted this - if I only had a bigger bag and good thievery skills!

Kathy

Online Bob C.

Re: Life Ring
« Reply #53 on: Apr 19, 2010, 03:36 AM »
What restaurant???

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #54 on: Apr 19, 2010, 08:49 AM »
Kathy
What a find!
You could always go back and make them an offer!
It's probably collecting dust there - not good in a restaurant!
You might have to get your skates on,
Sounds as if Bob's on his way - perhaps by air!

(Your Bathroom needs it Right Now!!)

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #55 on: Apr 19, 2010, 09:26 AM »
My QE2 Cruise money has gone on a new bathroom this year...and THAT is the finishing touch....whats the postcode...im setting my satnav.

Offline Kathy M.

« Reply #56 on: Apr 19, 2010, 02:03 PM »
It's at the No-Name Restaurant on the Fish Pier in Boston - my husband has had lunch there many times and I can't believe he never even noticed it; I hadn't been there in about 30 years!  My family was a little embarassed that I took the photo (there were two table below it so I had to apologize to the diners for disturbing their meal!) - but I knew it would be appreciated here!

On the downside - it has been hanging in this restaurant for years . . . I can imagine that it has absorbed some of the fried food smell!
Kathy

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #57 on: Apr 19, 2010, 05:59 PM »
Kathy, I too have had lunch there several times, back in my days of working in Boston (1998-2002.)  Incredibly, I never noticed that either, but nowadays I am super tuned for any reference made to our great ship, when and wherever they pop up.  For instance, we were watching a Discovery Channel program recently on NYC and low and behold there were several seconds of the WTC with, you guessed it, QE2, sailing in front of them, which of course put a smile on my face.

I suspect that the restaurant will not be eager to part with this bit of history if asked.   :-[
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #58 on: Apr 19, 2010, 07:37 PM »
It's fun having an unexpected QE2 moment.

While watching the extraordinary 1972 documentary "Greygardens", amidst the filth and squalor of the delapidated mansion I spotted a QE2 postcard pinned to the wall in one of the bedrooms.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #59 on: Apr 30, 2010, 06:46 PM »
Whist out walking today in the April showers...the sun came thru and the fluffy clouds were in the sky,,,,only that one particular 'cloud'...somehow looked like QE2!!

Can you see it?? The funnel and the mast is very clear.....

Made me  have that special'  feeling straight away........so good to know she is still casting her magic spell all the way from Dubai!