Author Topic: Something that's a reminder of QE2...?  (Read 24046 times)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: Something that's a reminder of QE2...?
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2009, 12:59 AM »

25 hours a day that was the could times,Isabelle.  ;D

Louis

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2009, 07:33 AM »
Cunard's QE2 page is a reminder of when QE2 was part of their fleet:
http://www.cunard.com/queenelizabeth2/landing.asp?Ship=QE2&main=int

The UK version has been taken down.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #22 on: Oct 30, 2009, 11:23 AM »
I hate to say on an open public forum, but recently l thought l  was going mad. I visited the Hotel Queen Mary in Long Beach which coincided with the dates of my last ever crossing on QE2. Having tried to visit her for the past 22 years and getting side lined into taking a QE2 voyage, this was the year l made it.

Staying for two nights l took 3 friends along for the champagne brunch. From the moment l embarked on the gangway l was in cruise mode, Into the Sunday brunch and right away l was caught up in the whole atmosphere of the event, beneath my feet l could feel the vibrations of the air conditioning units and the old girl, to me came alive, or was it unlimited refills of bubbly... Anyway sitting down to the fresh crisp newly laid table and cloth napkins the sound of the singer and oh my god the songs he sang,for a moment l had to pinch myself, they were playing the songs that l used to hear on QE2 and as l cast my mind back to the previous year l was wrapped up in a special magic and as l had an emotional moment :'( my friends realised that l wasnt as tough as they thought, which l found highly  amusing.

As the afternoon continued we ended out on the open decks at 4.45 and standing by the railings l really expected to see the ropes being let go and fully expected us to set sail for some where, and when the harsh reality of it all set in and that l was going nowhere, l really found that very hard to understand and even accept it.
 For two nights l was enveloped in something so very special to me, l really had no idea what l expected to find onboard the old lady, but she took me into her care and really looked after me. (but that is another story)

When the final morning came and l woke up, Behold a sight l never expected to see ever again,and it was something l only ever associated with QE2 and that was under the door had been slipped  my onboard account!!, well it really did floor me for a short time, mercifully it only ran to two pages.

Made the most of the last morning and for once l could linger over an onboard breakfast, and on the stroke of noon checked out and stepped gaily down the gangway and back into the real world. Feeling exactly the same way as l did when l stepped back on the gangway and terra firma after my first voyage on QE2 in 1986 l just know lm going back for more. :)
 So much so l cancelled my next Cunard cruise......

** OLD DEAD LINK REMOVED **img5/5821/usatrip096.jpg[/img]
Cheers !!!

Compared to the usual MI grade, l was in for a surprise...     
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2018, 09:40 AM by Lynda Bradford »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Kathy M.

« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 2009, 06:22 PM »
This is slightly off topic - but I love the shirt you have on the Queen Mary shots - where did you get it?!
Kathy

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2009, 10:25 AM »
Lovely piece well written...you made it all come alive and glad you have found the 'magic' again....

Offline Clyde Paddler

« Reply #25 on: Nov 07, 2009, 10:36 AM »

This is slightly off topic - but I love the shirt you have on the Queen Mary shots - where did you get it?!

Yes, Myles - where did you get that shirt?  We want one!!
HELEN
Harrogate, UK

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #26 on: Nov 07, 2009, 10:52 AM »
Thinking of that great Queen Mary shirt - was, or could there ever be a QE2 shirt?
With the maiden voyage logo, The Clyde, Liverpool, SOTON,  New York, a few tugs with a view of QE2 (from every angle) as well as  the Forum header - on it....?
After making a fortune for the Forum,  maybe it could fund QE2's passage home!
Then we could sell it in her shop - think I might be a little ahead of things now...
Any ideas anyone?
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #27 on: Nov 07, 2009, 03:23 PM »
WOW!
The QM2 Bridge webcam - with the blue Atlantic looking good
listening to waves,
seagulls
and QE2's Whistle
Has anyone else tried this?
 :)
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2009, 03:25 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2009, 08:57 AM »

Last night at work we had a wedding reception for 300 guests i came across a couple that made a trip on QE2 way back in 1984.Had no time to find out more stories but i have there number ill get in touch with them again for sure.  ;)

Louis

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #29 on: Nov 08, 2009, 08:14 PM »

Quote from: Kathy M. on October 30, 2009, 06:22:34 PM

Yes, Myles - where did you get that shirt?  We want one!!

Had that shirt a few years now, bought it in London (camden) at a place that stoped trading, However bought a different one showing Queen Mary and a few other landmarks ie Hotel Del Coranado (which was awesome by the way) and some other California places, lm just waiting for the summer to return so l can wear it.... This was bought onboard Queen Mary. Im just not sure if its "me" :-\

« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2016, 01:09 PM by Lynda Bradford »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #30 on: Nov 09, 2009, 10:23 AM »

I was yesterday in my basement sorting some boxes and came across this

Online pete cain

This is so sad
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:40 PM »
I've got a pair of trainers that have traipsed miles & miles of QE2  decks & corridors, & trips ashore, but they are dangerous to wear ( & I know that the bit of plastic sole that trod those hallowed decks have worn away ) cos I've slipped & fallen my way about these last few weeks in the snow& ice, but I just cannot let them go, I've got a craghopper jacket I wore on 'that bit below the bridge' on the way into New York, in a thunderstorm at 5-00 am & it's got a collectors piece of QE2 soot on the sleeve, it isn't waterproof anymore , but I cannot let go ;because I wore it on the QE2,    to juxtapose the header to this post    is this so sad?....
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2010, 12:14 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Stowaway2k

Re: This is so sad
« Reply #32 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Perfectly normal!   ;D

I will never part with these Doc Martins, seen here taking my first steps onto the teak decks of QE2

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #33 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:18 PM »
Be assured,....you are NOT alone!   

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:55 PM »
Ah... :'(
...Whilst on the subject of shoes - these have spent hours on The Bit Beneath the Bridge :) and  :'(
https://www.flickr.com/photos/watch_keeper/4274452137/in/set-72157620557118998/

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #35 on: Jan 15, 2010, 04:57 PM »
The air conditioning in my office.

There are times when I sit back and relax for a moment, aware of the fact that it resembles the background air conditioning noise on QE2 so very much... Indeed, the air conditioning here also indulges in the odd rumble or vibration... my office is located beside the shaft where it passes from floor to floor...

It is just when it stops at 20.00 hrs sharp in the evening, that I have am reminded that, on QE2, it never did that... and I hope it is still continuing, as ever, to blow and rumble along...  :'(

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #36 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:04 PM »
When I first started working in the office building I'm in now, I was told the halls were designed to look like an ocean liner.  ... I don't know if I quite see that... but there is a lot of nice wood-work and smart doors all along a hall, so I guess so. 

But sometimes when I'm in the lobby area waiting for the elevators there is a smell that brings me right back to QE2.  I'm not sure what it is -  maybe the mix of wood, varnish, cleaning supplies and the grease from the elevator gears ... but for one second I am standing waiting for a lift near D stairwell.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #37 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:59 AM »
London, SW6.
Along the Fulham Road, passing the Imperial Cancer Research Institute;
inside, there are Le Corbusier chairs - leather and chrome, in a waiting area.
They are reddish- brown in colour.

Wishing now that I knew whether there were Le Corbusier chairs on QE2!
Tried to find them here...Please, would anyone know?
They are bulky - maybe there weren't any!

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:01 AM »
The internet reminds me of QE2 daily.

Like today when I stumbled across this image:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs166.snc3/19335_1116021359629_1799839654_239633_1236925_n.jpg

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #39 on: Feb 11, 2010, 05:47 PM »
I have so many reminders of QE2 around the house, on 3 walls., the picture I love the most is over my fireplace..it is the painting by someone called Bauwens (2008)... called The Grandeur of the Queens...it was being featured in the book shop on QM2 in July 2008....it depicts the early morning arrival of the 3 Queens into New York Harbour on January 13,2008... with the beautiful QE2 in the centre, leading the way, followed by QM2 and then QV....another one I have on another wall is the painting of QE2 and QM2 in New York Harbour by James Flood (2004) called Cunard's Monarches of the Sea... and the last one, is a picture I sent for in the mail back in 1996 after sailing T A on QE2 for the first time... it is of QE2 sailing down the Hudson river in front of the World Trade Centre Twin Towers...this picture is surrounded by 3 smaller 8x10 pictures of QE2, one of her coming straight at you, one of her backend, loaded with passengers and the final one of the crew out on the bow taken in Valencia on the Mediterranean Sojourn.....so every day I see her..... and last June I decided to get myself a new Jeep... it is Cunard Red... and I call her "Lizzie"....and she has the Cunard crest on her dash.....
Chris said I was loyal and I guess I am !!
Linda