Author Topic: The opening at the head of the bow & "The Cat's Whiskers"  (Read 6841 times)

Online Bob C.

Question for any crewmembers out there or anyone else that may know:  what's in that hole and what is it's purpose?

I've always wondered but I can't find anything on it.

« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2009, 05:56 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online cunardqueen

Re: What's in the opening at the head of the bow?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2009, 09:21 PM »
On the plans its referred to as the cockpit
You can only imagine the view they must have had of the superstructure..
I imagine the platform thingy sticking out,they must have been stowed away in there, But how were they attached to the deck??
They always seemed to appear by magic.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2018, 08:34 PM by Lynda Bradford »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Bob C.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2009, 09:27 PM »
Thanks CQ!  My evil plan is to ask questions that require scans of your GA plans so I can piece together a set of my own from the QE2 Story Forum.  

I figure about 3459 more strategically tailored questions should do it...

It's also good to see that there is access from 2 Deck to 1 Deck via the "cockpit".  I pondered this on the "First thing to see" topic thread by Blue Bombay.
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2009, 10:03 PM by Bob C. a.k.a. reltco »

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2009, 10:08 PM »
From the cockpit theres a stairs going down to 2 Deck thats were the ropes and the painting store room is kept from here there is acess to 3 Deck that is were the mouring machinery and anchor chains are kept.Those side platforms and the front mast are kept there on 1 Deck.
Those platforms are attached to the deck by pins.

Louis
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2009, 10:17 PM by Blue Bombay »

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2009, 10:17 PM »
That area is normally out of bounds for normal crew.
But once on a Boat Drill we had a training on 2 Deck right under the cockpit area.

Louis

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2009, 10:36 PM »
Bob - For what it's worth...

Well before arriving at a port, the flag, pole, lines, other anchoring and cleaning equipment was bought up from the 'cockpit'
The 2 small 'look-out' platforms were hooked into place - these were kept in place (jutting out) until we left the portside, and were underway.
The flooring of the lookouts were slid back and then stowed on the surface of the 'bow', and the 'gates' shut.  All crew in this area were required to wear blue (crew) or white (officers) headgear!

I've tried to select a few images of the sequence (below) - if you enlarge them,  you might see more. but I still haven't discovered more about what else is kept below that part of the bow!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/watch_keeper/sets/72157620732791543/

I was posting this before being aware that Louis' had posted a much more detailed answer above!
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2009, 04:03 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Matt

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2009, 09:29 AM »
Very Interesting! I thought the flag pole was static! I didnt know they stowed it below!!
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2009, 11:33 PM »
Cunard would have gone through quite a few flag staffs if it were not able to be stowed. ;D  The reinforced post just beyond where the forward horn is mounted has been damaged/replaced several times in her service life.  I recall seeing a picture of the entire assembly lying against the bulkhead after a particularily rough trip.

Ken
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2009, 01:37 AM »
And how did they fix the sticking out mini platform wings right at the front of the bow, Forgive my description but l have no idea what they are called,the things the docking crew stood on.
Did anyone ever see them being put into place or stowed away and can you imagine the view from them!!! I always wondered just how strong they were.

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2009, 02:40 AM »
Ken, heres a photo of what you mean

(Image removed from quote.)

Louis

Ouch!  Thanks Louis for finding the pic.  Did you take that pic?  If so, that must have been quite a storm!

Ken

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2009, 02:51 AM »
And how did they fix the sticking out mini platform wings right at the front of the bow, Forgive my description but l have no idea what they are called,the things the docking crew stood on.
Did anyone ever see them being put into place or stowed away and can you imagine the view from them!!! I always wondered just how strong they were.

Myles,

I recall the crew removing the platform and stowing it down below in that forward "cockpit" somewhere.  They did magically appear.  I will search my videos.  I believe I captured the platforms being set up as we came into port on at least one occasion.

Another interesting thing you can see is the little blue box hung off the railing on the right.  The crew would hang this out also during the set up procedure.  I suspect it is a speaker so that commands can be heard by the crew on deck.  Perhaps Louis can confirm this.

Ken
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2009, 02:53 AM by highlander0108 »

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:29 AM »

Ouch!  Thanks Louis for finding the pic.  Did you take that pic?  If so, that must have been quite a storm!

Ken, that was the damage after we hit Hurricane Luis.

Louis

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:36 AM »

Another interesting thing you can see is the little blue box hung off the railing on the right.

Ken,here you can se the box.

Louis

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:10 PM »
About the 'look-out platforms' - properly named whiskers / cat's whiskers
(see also Reply No.42 on the thread:
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1279.msg14686.html#msg14686)

Myles and Ken - These did appear as if by magic - and looked 'temporary'. The platform was completed with poles, being tied to the main railings with lines made of (white) rope (I think?). These made the farthest end/corners of the platform.
Their installation by the deck crew and use, by officers (I think!), always appeared somewhat perilous!
I couldn't understand why these white lines always looked so clean - surely, if they were downwind from aft, when the anchor chain was making a mess, like it did on the on the 'floor', mustn't these 'white lines' have got covered with rusty stuff too?
I wonder, did the Deck crew wear protective goggles as well as helmets and the special clothing?

You probably know already that the only rope actually referred to as 'a rope' on QE2 was her bell rope, also used when weighing her anchor. In Moxom, 'From the Bridge: QE2, Cunard's Flagship'

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online skilly56

« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2009, 09:14 PM »
Morning Rosie,

Here is 'little' skilly standing on the cats whiskers whilst probably looking for mermaids!  (Actually preparing to depart Lisbon). I shouldn't call him little either - he's quite a bit larger than me

Cheers

Skilly
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2009, 09:25 PM by skilly56 »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2009, 10:36 PM »
'Good tomorrow', Skilly56
That's a great photo - neat!
Thank you.
It shows very nearly everything...except: (!)
Does the bit that Mr Skilly 'Younger-but-Taller' is standing on, fold back on a hinge, onto the bow/foc'stle?
Or, might it be possible to stow it by sliding it into an inner bit of the bow itself?
Could it still be secured with a hinge and pin?
Maybe it's portable - in which case I would guess that it goes in with the 'staff, helmets and hoses etc
Happy New Year / holiday / time off!
Rosie

Online skilly56

« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2009, 11:58 PM »
Hi Rosie,

The platform actually lifts upwards from the outer end and disconnects totally from the deck retainers. Cannot be more specific at the moment (just starting the dash for the airport). The platforms are stowed below when not in use.

Bye

Skilly

Offline highlander0108

Re: The opening at the head of the bow & "The Cat's Whiskers"
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:54 PM »
October 1, 2008, QE2 approaching Cobh, with crew getting the bow ready.  Flagstaff had been installed and speaker hung on the starboard side.  Deck crew have tied the lines to the rails and are about ready to flip the port "whister" over.  Happy Times!

Offline andy liney

« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2009, 04:57 PM »

In old sailing ships they were called "bumpkins", and I have heard this term applied in modern times to platforms of this type used when anchoring etc.

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:33 PM »
Evening all - a great little thread I've just found tonight. 

For me it's another good example of the rescources we have on the forum, in a few years time this knowledge could have been spread far and wide and not freely available to joe public. 

But, thanks to Rob's efforts and our ex crew members and passengers with vast numbers of sea miles under their belts the questions can be skillfully answered.

jdl

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:51 PM »
Deck crew have tied the lines to the rails and are about ready to flip the port "whister" over.
Hi Ken
A great photograph - one of the best!
If you had taken it about 2 minutes earlier...
Or..rather - do you by chance remember where those platforms had been stowed, prior to being tied to the railings / 'gate' posts?
It's fascinating to think that there's probably loads of equipment / paraphernalia, stowed in the wee 'hold' beneath.
Access to the lines, capstans, winching stuff?  etc? Maybe there's a secret alleyway to the main forward hold there too!

Early morning, shadows of the floodlights - it looks as if they may have been preparing to lower her anchor - the Crew-member's off to fetch the bell and rope!! (I think!)
Rosie

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:57 PM »
Or..rather - do you by chance remember where those platforms had been stowed, prior to being tied to the railings / 'gate' posts?
It's fascinating to think that there's probably loads of equipment / paraphernalia, stowed in the wee 'hold' beneath.
Access to the lines, capstans, winching stuff?  etc? Maybe there's a secret alleyway to the main forward hold there too!

Rosie, read on this topic,topic number 3

Louis

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2010, 12:21 AM »
Thanks, Louis.

Just realised that as it was Cobh harbour, QE2 might have been moored alongside.
so no need for bell, rope and hoses!

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2014, 05:18 PM »
I wonder in what year it was decided to remove and stow these platforms whilst at sea. Looking at some of the earlier images of the foredeck, the platforms are in place and just stowed on deck. I have posted a link to some images taken in 1978 which shows them on deck in a hurricane! In fact the Stbd one was ripped off in that storm and its remains we're found on the AstroTurf on the bit beneath the bridge.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=2961
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!