Author Topic: Neil Potter & Jack Frost Books on the Cunard Liners  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Karen Aked

Hello.  I have just joined  and would like to say I've a special personal interest in the books by Neil Potter &
Jack Frost and the revised book also by Lindsay Frost.
I have read some posts on here which a little confusion with one of the authors and I'm happy to clarify
anything any members may wish to ask about concerning the authors. 
I would love to hear from anyone who worked with or kne Jack or Lindsay!!

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2015, 10:24 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Neil Potter & Jack FrostBooks on the Cunard Liners
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 08:36 AM »
Welcome to the QE2 Story Karen and looking forward to hearing more from you.  If there are any points you would like to make on the topics that you have mentioned please do so as it would be good to hear your comments.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 01:38 PM »
Welcome, Karen, to The QE2 Story Forum and I am very much looking forward to hearing more about authors Neil Potter, Jack Frost, and Lindsay Frost and their books !

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Hi Karen, It's good to have you here.

I have read the Neil Potter & Jack Frost book about the history of QE2's concept design. I found it an excellent book and a very interesting and informative read.

It would be interesting to hear about your special interest in the Potter and Frost books. Did you have some connection with the authors?
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Karen Aked

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 11:05 PM »
Hi Alan, and thank you for your welcoming message.

I never knew Neil Potter but remember Jack very well indeed. He spent most of his life at sea and travelling on board the Cunard liners and on board various ships years ago.  How much do you know about him Alan?
I'm wondering as I see you were/are a photographer but after Jacks time.  He was extremely well known in America years ago as it tells on the jacket of one of his books.
Potter & Frost wrote four books if I remember correctly and I'm presently trying to collect  the two I don't have.
I hope one day to own a large photo of the three Queens, framed and on my wall...and I mean LARGE!😀

Karen

Offline Graham Taylor

Neil Potter & Jack FrostBooks on the Cunard Liners
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 09:40 AM »
Hi Karen

I remember Lindsay well although I was in the Pursers Office rather than a member of the cruise staff. There are a couple of people on Facebook, who you might like to contact: one is Lindsay's widow Kerrie Frost (Facebook ID: kerrianne.frost1), who before she got married worked alongside Lindsay, the other is Roy Parkinson (roy.parkinson.37) - also ex-cruise staff.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:49 AM by Graham Taylor »
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK

Offline Karen Aked

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2015, 07:12 PM »
Hello there Graham.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner and many thanks for your reply which I've only just found. I've been to busy and travelling recently and not had the time to spend on here unfortunately.
I have a special interest in the books of Neil Potter & Jack Frost which you may have seen on here and also Lindsay as he was my brother.  Are you in touch with Kerri as you seem to know she's a widow??

Best Wishes

Karen 😀

Offline Graham Taylor

Neil Potter & Jack FrostBooks on the Cunard Liners
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2015, 08:55 PM »
Yes I am Karen, in the limitations of Facebook only. I have to admit I haven't read any of the books. I shall now seek them out especially as through you there is a link to Lindsay, whom I liked enormously and found great fun. After not hearing about people I knew onboard in the last 20 years, I was greatly saddened to hear about Lindsay's passing from Kerrie.
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2015, 09:08 PM by Graham Taylor »
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK

Offline Karen Aked

Re: Neil Potter & Jack Frost Books on the Cunard Liners
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2015, 12:11 AM »
Here are the books if you really want to read any of them Andrew.

The Queen Mary. Her Inception And History.    Pub 1961
The Elizabeth.                                                " "  1965
QE2. The Authourised Story.                           " "  1969
The Mary: The Story of No 534- Building          " "  1998
RMS Queen Mary.                                           

They are all by Neil Potter & Jack Frost  and all published by Harrap.  The second book listed is not easy to
get hold of but all others are currently available on Amazon.com Andrew! Please let me know if this helps and
if you manage to find them to order.
Karen

Offline Karen Aked

« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2015, 12:14 AM »
The last book is a revised book by Lindsay!

Offline Karen Aked

« Reply #10 on: Jun 14, 2015, 12:23 PM »
Forgive the name error Graham.😀

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #11 on: Jun 14, 2015, 08:15 PM »
Thanks Karen [emoji3]

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2015, 09:18 PM »
FWIW I had a copy of the original QM book years ago, but loaned it to someone and now it's gone, so I went on Amazon US and got all four of the books (two "excellent" used from the UK) for a total of $40 including shipping.  The only one in short supply appears to the the QE(1) title.

Offline Karen Aked

« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2015, 09:58 PM »
Hello Jeff.
Yes you are right about the QE1 book. I don't even have a copy myself although copies have been sold on the internet via Australia and Sth Africa so they are about.
My father has a copy wichich was personally signed by Jack to his son but it's not for me to touch 😀

Offline Karen Aked

« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 2015, 10:41 PM »
The Elisabeth.   Pub 1965 Harrap is available on Amazon.uk!!
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2015, 10:46 PM by Karen Aked »