Author Topic: Favourite things about QE2  (Read 5050 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Favourite things about QE2
« on: May 08, 2015, 08:14 PM »
One of my favourite things about QE2, was the clever, striking, electric blue lighting that was a feature of the "new" Yacht club. 

As you approached inside the ship in the late evening, it enhanced the feeling of going to a club, a special place, and being different to the rest of the ship, which it was. 

Viewed from outside, either from ashore or on deck, it looked modern and fresh, and made the ship appear to not just be old-fashioned and full of old people sleeping.  It harked back to the original concept of the ship.   The blue lighting illuminated the 'sails' that screened the rear windows, and meant that from outside, at night, the blue was a strong feature of the ship.

QE2 : Yacht Club by Rob Lightbody, on Flickr

For me, an equivalent to The Yacht Club is something that is sorely missing from the Queen Mary.  Of all the public spaces in all the buildings and ships I've been in, that space, with its clever lighting, is my favourite.

...Queen Elizabeth 2... seen in Dubai harbour ... by wolli s, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:36 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

edwinb

Re: Favourite things about QE2
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 08:36 PM »
The Yacht club was a beautiful room,the lights looked more purple/violet from my memories, do you you know if the lighting could change colour ? Its very hard to chose my favourite thing about QE2, but one of my favourite things about her was her promenades, I could sit for hours watching the sea go by on those comfy green chairs, my favourite area was the promenade on the right from the grand lounge. An unusual thing about QE2 was she seemed much larger inside than many larger ships, I was on a much bigger cruise ship 2 years ago and It felt much smaller inside than QE2, she was very well designed.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:42 PM by Edwin B »

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 11:34 PM »
One of my favourite things about QE2, was the clever, striking, electric blue lighting that was a feature of the "new" Yacht club. 

As you approached inside the ship in the late evening, it enhanced the feeling of going to a club, a special place, and being different to the rest of the ship, which it was. 

Viewed from outside, either from ashore or on deck, it looked modern and fresh, and made the ship appear to not just be old-fashioned and full of old people sleeping.  It harked back to the original concept of the ship.   The blue lighting illuminated the 'sails' that screened the rear windows, and meant that from outside, at night, the blue was a strong feature of the ship.

QE2 : Yacht Club by Rob Lightbody, on Flickr

For me, an equivalent to The Yacht Club is something that is sorely missing from the Queen Mary.  Of all the public spaces in all the buildings and ships I've been in, that space, with its clever lighting, is my favourite.

...Queen Elizabeth 2... seen in Dubai harbour ... by wolli s, on Flickr

Definitely something that you don't find on QE's Yacht Club.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 07:12 PM »
One of my favourite things about our QE2 are the overhead photos made from planes and helicopters.  Her length is accented as is her sleek width, open deck space and overall beauty. 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 09:16 PM »
One of my favorite things about the QE2 is her signature Heritage Trail. She was a museum on the seas of Cunard artifacts.
Would have loved to see it during her time in service.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline John Drew

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 12:43 AM »
One of my favourite things was watching her sailing smoothly across the North Atlantic from my view point on the Queen Mary 2 ( I couldn't get tickets for QE2) she just cut right through the swells and looked just fantastic, I had never seen her going that fast from so close and knew just what it was like to be onboard, sipping a cold one!!!. John.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 05:45 PM »
I loved the promenades, sitting on a comfortable chair with a sea view, or enjoying a room like the Queen's Room, with daylight flooding in from both sides.

And I loved the Midships Lobby, such an unusual space and so well conceived. And such immediate beauty for all those arriving on board for the first or the umpteenth time :) .

Offline PaulInuk

« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2016, 03:35 PM »
One of my favourite things was, she was built in england,

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2016, 11:01 PM »
One of my favourite things was, she was built in england,

Errrr......... *ahem*

I think you mean to say "The United Kingdom" don't you?   ;)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2016, 02:12 PM »
I think you mean to say "The United Kingdom" don't you?       
And those of us in Scotland need say no more....
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline pete cain

« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2016, 07:53 PM »
Having just looked at the cabin  photo comp, just remembered :: coming out of the cabin (never got as high as 2 deck) & walking across the passage, touching the wood panel , which was really quite warm to the touch & feeling the vibration from behind, of those oh so powerfull engines, if you pressed your ear to the panelling you could hear them thumping away, had forgotten about that.. (maybe it's elsewhere  sorry if so).

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2016, 08:19 PM »
Hi Pete -

What wonderful remembrances of a great lady !

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2016, 09:22 PM »
One of my favourite things, strangely, was to stand as far forward as you could go down the corridor on 1 Deck and look at the distant daylight at the aft end. Never did get round to timing how long it took to get there!

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2016, 04:06 AM »
My favorite thing about QE2 was her sense of community.

No matter when I boarded, for a cruise or a crossing, I always became re-acquainted with previous ship-board acquaintances and met new ones.

She had a warm and welcoming "old friend" ambiance.

Two anecdotes.... 

Departing NYC for a crossing, going up the "A" elevator.   Greeted friends before getting on the elevator, and also when the elevator stopped on two other decks on its way up to Boat Deck.  A couple who was on for the first time commented "It's true what they say!  QE2 really is like house full of friends!"

A friend who had vast ship experience but not with QE2 up to his first time on QE2 later said "I felt like the new member of a club.  I was welcomed in and treated like an old friend. "