Author Topic: Cunard 3 Queens, May 3rd, Southampton : Cunard Press release with details.  (Read 14170 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Note - please see our get-together topic if you are going to be there

Cunard kicks off its 175 celebrations in Southampton with spectacular daylight sailaway of the Three Queens led by Queen Mary 2 for the first time

Immediate release: Friday, 24 April 2015

Cunard’s celebrations for its 175 year anniversary will commence in the UK with the arrival home on Sunday 3 May of the Cunard fleet from their World Cruises.  This gathering of Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria at Cunard’s homeport will initiate a momentous season of festivities for the company, beginning with a ‘Thank You , Southampton’ event later the same day.

For almost 100 years Cunard ships have called Southampton ‘home’ and during that time many spectacular events, royal visits and other special occasions have been shared by the company and the city.  To celebrate the beginning of the UK festivities in this milestone year, Cunard’s flagship liner Queen Mary 2 will take centre stage in the afternoon of Sunday 3 May, as she leads her sister ships Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria on a triumphant procession down Southampton Water and into the River Solent, in homage to the city of Southampton.

Cunard’s Marketing Director, Angus Struthers said:

“We’re excited to start our UK 175 festivities in Southampton and share the celebrations with the city and beyond in this magnificent landmark year. For the very first time Queen Mary 2 will lead a daylight parade of Cunard’s Three Queens down Southampton Water and into the Solent. Together with the city, the company has shared so many fantastic memories, and I hope residents and Cunard enthusiasts from far and wide will take advantage of this magnificent sight and enjoy the spectacle of seeing our three Queens manoeuvring together so close to  Southampton.” 

The sailaway procession will start to get underway at 4.30pm as Queen Mary 2 moves into position to lead the fleet out of Southampton Docks, to be followed by Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria. By around 5.20pm the three ships will have passed Dock Head and will be sailing south, led by flagship Queen Mary 2, and reaching Calshot at about 5.50pm. 

After zig-zagging through the Brambles turn near Cowes, the fleet will then separate before coming back together again, with Queen Mary 2 easing south and Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria taking a more northerly route and first drawing level with Queen Mary 2 and then overtaking her until at Lee on Solent the fleet forms up again but with the lead given now to Queen Elizabeth, followed by Queen Victoria and then Queen Mary 2.  At around 6.45pm Queen Elizabeth, the youngest of the fleet, will lead her sisters past Ryde on the Isle of Wight before reaching the Nab Tower on its easternmost point at 7.30pm. 

At this point, the ships will break formation and sail off into the sunset on their own itineraries. Queen Elizabeth will continue east towards Hamburg, Queen Victoria will turn south for St Peter Port in Guernsey and Queen Mary 2 will head west across the Atlantic to New York.

Help celebrate our 175 year by sharing your favourite pictures from the day at @CunardLine using #Cunard175 and #3Queens.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Thanks, Rob, for posting this information.  The commencement of Cunard's 175th anniversary celebration sounds to be a momentous and marvelous event. 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Graham Taylor

Going to be crossing over to the Isle of Wight from Lymington to Freshwater that day and planning to park up at Hythe to watch them leave.

Thanks for posting this Rob as I now know what time to be in position on the waterfront in Hythe.
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK
BLUESKY - grahamtayloruk.bsky.social

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Graham... Hythe is on the mainland so do I take it you're doing only a very quick visit to the IoW and then heading back over to Lymington to drive to Hythe?  If so, be careful to allow plenty of time to get the ferry back at Yarmouth; this year's timetable has been reduced to hourly and the crossing time extended to 40 minutes...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Graham Taylor

Graham... Hythe is on the mainland so do I take it you're doing only a very quick visit to the IoW and then heading back over to Lymington to drive to Hythe?  If so, be careful to allow plenty of time to get the ferry back at Yarmouth; this year's timetable has been reduced to hourly and the crossing time extended to 40 minutes...

No, I'm driving down from London on the 3rd and stopping off at Hythe for lunch and to watch the Queens depart then carrying on to catch the 19:15 hrs ferry to Yarmouth to visit a relative. As I am only on the Island for 36 hrs and my Aunt lives in Freshwater, I'm going to leave the car in Wightlink's long stay car park and cross as a foot passenger. If I take the car over, it will cost £74; as a foot passenger the cost is a more reasonable £20, plus £12 car park fee.

Thank you Peter for the advice though.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2015, 04:28 PM by Graham Taylor »
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK
BLUESKY - grahamtayloruk.bsky.social

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Ah, I see - that's clear now and looks like a good plan.

( Still annoyed that Wightlink have reduced the timetable; I would have hoped that their recent court victory over the NIMBYs in Lymington would have meant they could resume the 30 minute interval service. )
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Lynda Bradford

Best wishes to Cunard as the 3 ships start the 175 year celebrations in Southampton.  Looking forward to hearing from anyone onboard any of the ship or watching from shore. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Please, anyone who will be at any of the events, please take photos wherever and whenever you can !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online cunardqueen

Please, anyone who will be at any of the events, please take photos wherever and whenever you can !   

There are a few folks on Facebook who will without doubt be posting anything and everything on there, and lm convinced are members on here, but l doubt sadly we will see anything from them on here.. :( :( :(

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
CUNARD’S THREE QUEENS SAIL IN HISTORIC FORMATION FROM SOUTHAMPTON, LED BY FLAGSHIP QUEEN MARY 2,
TO INAUGURATE CUNARD’S 175TH ANNIVERSARY

Flagship Queen Mary 2 lead Cunard’s Three Queens out of Southampton in daylight for the first time ever, to mark the start of Cunard’s 175th anniversary celebrations in the UK, before exchanging the lead with sister ship Queen Elizabeth.

The ships arrived in Southampton earlier today from their three month World Cruises and now set off on their Summer season of transatlantic crossings, Mediterranean fly-cruises, Scandinavian and southern European sailings.

Picture shows L-R:  Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth sailing in special formation off the Isle of Wight as they depart for New York, St Peter Port (Guernsey) and Hamburg respectively.

All Photos by James Morgan/Cunard
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Photo attachments continued.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Last photo attached.

Offline Twynkle

These are Fantastic!
Thanks so much Rob, for posting them.
Thanks too to James Morgan and his team.
There are friends on at least two of the ships and it's been great keeping in touch as they got ready to sail.
The ships were late leaving, this was to allow MV Anthem of the Seas through first ...
(Hoping that QM2 has  remembered to off-load our suitcase - it's spent the past couple of weeks in the dog-free kennels!)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:08 AM by Twynkle »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
8 photos attached

COMMODORE AND CAPTAINS PICTURED AT FLAGSHIP’S FUNNEL AHEAD OF  HISTORIC SAILAWAY
TO INAUGURATE CUNARD’S 175TH ANNIVERSARY  IN SOUTHAMPTON MASTERS OF ALL THEY SURVEY

The Masters of Cunard’s three ship fleet mustered by the funnel of flagship Queen Mary 2 this morning ahead of the spectacular sailaway planned for the afternoon of Sunday 3 May to mark the start of the celebrations for Cunard’s 175th anniversary year.

The Three Queens - Queen Elizabeth, Queen Victoria and Queen Mary 2 – returned from their World Cruises today, arriving into Southampton in the early morning.   After a rare opportunity for the three Captains to meet up together on the same vessel, the masters will take command of their respective ships and for the first time the fleet will sail together in daylight from Cunard’s homeport of Southampton led by Queen Mary 2.

Commodore Christopher Rynd, Master of Queen Victoria, is joined on the distinctive red funnel that characterises all three ships by Captain Chris Wells, Master of Queen Mary 2 and Captain Inger Klein Thorhauge, Master of Queen Elizabeth and Cunard’s first ever female Captain.   

Commodore Rynd said:
“This is the first time that the Cunard ships have been in Southampton since they set off on their World Cruises in January, so it’s great to have the opportunity to meet with my fellow Captains.  We rarely get together in this way, and it’s only the fourth time ever that these Three Queens have gathered here in Southampton.   

“Today is a special day for Cunard, as the 175 anniversary celebrations are initiated here in our homeport.  We are looking forward to sailing the Three Queens out from Southampton this afternoon in special formation and adding a little bit more history to the Cunard story.”

Last crossing of a British-registered Cunard ship

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 2
Views: 2435
Last post Nov 10, 2011, 09:54 AM
by Bruce Nicholls
Glenn, Keeper of The Cunard Shrine in NYC

Started by Glenn C ReimerBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 6
Views: 1855
Last post Sep 29, 2017, 06:15 PM
by June Ingram