Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth 2, Transatlantique, film by LP Capelle and R Rombout (1993)  (Read 4890 times)

Online pete cain

https://vimeo.com/70545112
  just found this little sample , love the shot at the end from the tug, wish there was more to see.  as usual apologies in advance to mods who have to sort things out for us (me)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 06:57 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Great film of (so far) undated Southampton departure
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2015, 08:56 PM »
  just found this little sample , love the shot at the end from the tug, wish there was more to see.  as usual apologies in advance to mods who have to sort things out for us (me)

Lovely film, wonderful to see and so nostalgic... Great how the shots are taken from so many locations.

I wonder can we date it? The penthouses are already in place.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2015, 09:20 PM »
At some point I will have to convince my dad to digitize his 8mm home movies.  He has QE2 films from '69, '72, '74, '77 and '79.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2015, 12:59 PM »
Thank you very much, Pete, for posting this marvelous video of our QE2 preparing to leave port.  Is that Captain Ron Warwick on the bridge wing ?  If it is, it might help date the video somewhat.

And yes, Bob, you must convince your Dad to digitize his home movies. 

:)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:58 PM »
Yes it definitely was Captain Ron Warwick on the bridge wing. The few brief glimpses of the funnel suggest it was after the diesel installation.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Yes, it's the diesel funnel for sure.

We should be able to narrow it down further because it's a 16.00 sailing - in other words, when she was still overnighting in Southampton for her turnarounds.  So it had to be before they switched to the same day in and out system.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2015, 06:51 PM »

We should be able to narrow it down further because it's a 16.00 sailing - in other words, when she was still overnighting in Southampton for her turnarounds.  So it had to be before they switched to the same day in and out system.

I don't understand the reasoning here - we usually sailed 16:00 - 17:00 after a same day turnaround. I can only remember one Soton overnighter, which was in Nov '87, when I joined. I don't recall others from then until '92, but there may have been.

I can see a young Peter Moxon and Staff Captain Ron Boulton in the clip; I'd take a guess that the video was shot sometime between '92-'94.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2015, 10:36 PM »
I don't understand the reasoning here - we usually sailed 16:00 - 17:00 after a same day turnaround. I can only remember one Soton overnighter, which was in Nov '87, when I joined. I don't recall others from then until '92, but there may have been.

Until the mid 1980s at least, QE2 would always arrive at Southampton one afternoon, overnight and then sail the next afternoon.  Can't quite remember when that was stopped and they moved to the same day in and out basis although I know the answer is already on here somewhere from a couple of years ago...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:44 AM »
Ron Acosta also believes that this would have been taken in the early 1990s, so we seem to have a majority view that this is where it belongs, and I am moving the topic there.

Great find, Pete! A wonderful film in its own right, and I love the discussion :) .

We may be able to find the exact voyage concerned -- would be great!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2015, 10:47 AM »
It is from the 55-minute French film 'Transatlantique' which was filmed on board in 1993.

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2015, 11:22 AM »
It is from the 55-minute French film 'Transatlantique' which was filmed on board in 1993.

There we are, Michael, thank you! We were getting quite close... :) .

I wonder whether the whole film is still available somewhere?

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2015, 11:30 AM »
Yes you can purchase it on DVD. It is one of the best documentaries made about crossing the Atlantic on QE2.

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2015, 11:52 PM »
Yes you can purchase it on DVD. It is one of the best documentaries made about crossing the Atlantic on QE2.

Thank you, Michael. I have just ordered it from Amazon.fr :

http://www.amazon.fr/Queen-Elizabeth-Transatlantique-Rob-Rombout/dp/B0009N59UY/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1427067049&sr=1-2&keywords=transatlantique

Prices on Amazon (FR and DE) vary between 7 and 61 Euro. I decided to go for the EUR 7 option :) .

You might be interested to know that all the Amazons have the same login and password. So, if you have never used Amazon.fr before, but have an identity with any other Amazon country, just use the same identity on Amazon.fr, and all will be well!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Great film of 1993 Southampton departure
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2015, 04:28 PM »
Hi Isabelle -

Very good to know about the logins being the same for all Amazons.

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Re: Queen Elizabeth 2, Transatlantique, film by Rob Rombout (1993)
« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2015, 11:27 PM »
I have just watched this film on DVD and am totally delighted with it.

It was made by a crew of RTBF, i.e. the French-speaking Belgian television, with some Swiss support.

The film accompanies QE2 on an Atlantic crossing, from Southampton to New York, with footage both from inside the ship and also (totally impressive) outside. They must have had airplane and helicopter crews filming from the most astonishing angles -- I was particularly impressed with close-up shots of QE2's bow slicing through the ocean.

All the spoken words are in English, but there are French subtitles for the Belgian audience.

The film takes us behind the scenes, from the engine rooms to the Captain's quarters (Ron Warwick), from the dressing room for the dancers to the cabin of the musicians. Both the passengers and the crew are given the chance to speak, and there are  many wordless scenes of life on deck, in the Queen's Room and the restaurants.

This is 1993, and it is amazing to see the Queen's Room and the Grand Lounge in their then looks, and also a restaurant which I could not even identify.

Highly recommended! Thank you, Michael, for having pointed it out to us -- this was a real pleasure to watch. And thank you, Pete, for having given us the taster -- without you, we might never have known about this film.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2018, 11:47 AM »

The documentary on the "Stop Over" channel is a different, later documentary (post "Project Lifestyle") by a different original production company.  Here is a link to the 1998 documentary

This is the 1993 (actually filmed in/is from 1992 according to the beginning title and the end credits) documentary this topic belongs to:

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2018, 12:45 PM by Rob Lightbody »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #16 on: Jul 21, 2018, 12:51 PM »
Great find Thomas.  I think in my head these 2 films were the same and I'd never figured it out.  They're both fabulous.

I was suspicious of who "Stop Over" on YouTube were, but they appear to be the "Night & Day" company, which is the one noted on the copyright at the end of the 1998 documentary!

I love that this ends with a very definite note, that when QE2 finishes, that will be the end of transatlantic travel - they (and I) were certain of that in the early 90s - and it didn't really change until the movie Titanic... and helps young people now to understand the profound shock when they announced the Queen Mary project, and that for so much of QE2's life, she was the last ever true transatlantic liner (and for some, still is).
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Louis-Philippe Capelle, the maker of this film together with Rob Rombout, has just brought me some 50 video cassettes of this film, which he wants to give away free of charge to members of this Forum.

Just to remind you of the content :

I have just watched this film and am totally delighted with it.

It was made by a crew of RTBF, i.e. the French-speaking Belgian television, with some Swiss support.

The film accompanies QE2 on an Atlantic crossing, from Southampton to New York, with footage both from inside the ship and also (totally impressive) outside. They must have had airplane and helicopter crews filming from the most astonishing angles -- I was particularly impressed with close-up shots of QE2's bow slicing through the ocean.

All the spoken words are in English, but there are French subtitles for the Belgian audience.

The film takes us behind the scenes, from the engine rooms to the Captain's quarters (Ron Warwick), from the dressing room for the dancers to the cabin of the musicians. Both the passengers and the crew are given the chance to speak, and there are  many wordless scenes of life on deck, in the Queen's Room and the restaurants.

This is 1993, and it is amazing to see the Queen's Room and the Grand Lounge in their then looks, and also a restaurant which I could not even identify.

Highly recommended! Thank you, Michael, for having pointed it out to us -- this was a real pleasure to watch. And thank you, Pete, for having given us the taster -- without you, we might never have known about this film.

You will remember one of the stills of this film, with which Louis-Philippe Capelle won a prize in our photo competition :

Louis-Philippe was an official photographer of QE2 (the ship) for many years, on and off for various projects, and then also of QM2, throughout her building and initial voyages. Even though he was just dropping off the videos, we spent an hour chatting together and only just scratched the fascinating surface.

If you have the benefit of a video machine (European PAL or American style NTSC) and would like me to send you one of the 50 copies donated by Louis-Philippe, please let me know by 26 May, and I shall get it off to you!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:43 AM by Rob Lightbody »

If you have the benefit of a video machine (European or American style) and would like me to send you one of the 50 copies donated by Louis-Philippe, please let me know by 26 May, and I shall get it off to you!

I should be able to do a second series of postings a bit later this year -- but best to be among the first come first served :) .

This is the English version of the film (2003), with French subtitles.

Lovely quote : "Some people consider this ship as a floating hotel, well... the QE2 is a liner and will never be a hotel. Do you know any hotel that can make a speed of 30 knots?" (Chief Engineer).

Times have changed, but this was QE2 in her heyday!

With many thanks to Louis-Philippe Capelle for his generosity -- it will be great to see many of us taking him up on his marvellous offer :) .

Online cunardqueen

If you have the benefit of a video machine (European or American style) and would like me to send you one of the 50 copies donated by Louis-Philippe, please let me know by 26 May, and I shall get it off to you! 

A very kind and generous offer, l would love to take you up on this. lm hoping like hell you will charge for postage  and even include a monetry donation and if payment can be made via paypal even better..
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Steven Adler, QE2 Waiter, Queen's Grill 1981-1985

Started by adlerscBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 44
Views: 14231
Last post Jul 05, 2020, 04:05 PM
by Vincent Scriven
Queen Victoria's new cruise 17 Oct 2012

Started by tdicksonBoard Past Events

Replies: 1
Views: 1385
Last post Sep 13, 2012, 07:43 PM
by Barrie Evans
Queen Mary Bell-boy tell his stories

Started by Stowaway2kBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 0
Views: 3277
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 01:59 PM
by Stowaway2k
3D Queen Mary "model" on Google Earth / Google Maps

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 1556
Last post Aug 03, 2016, 08:25 PM
by cunardqueen
Queen Mary operator files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 5
Views: 296
Last post Feb 17, 2021, 04:26 PM
by Rod