Author Topic: QE2 and Cunard's 175th Anniversary  (Read 4707 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
QE2 and Cunard's 175th Anniversary
« on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Cunard's 175th Anniversary is a marvelous milestone in shipping history.  That Cunard have changed owners and operators over the years does not negate the fact that the name Cunard has meant shipping, safety, and excellence for 175 years.  Our beloved QE2 was a large part of Cunard's history and she still awaits something good to come so she can continue her exciting life.  What are your thoughts about QE2 in celebration of Cunard's 175th ?
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online cunardqueen

Re: QE2 and Cunard's 175th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:25 PM »
What are your thoughts about QE2 in celebration of Cunard's 175th ?

Well we cant turn the clock back, BUT if QE2 hadnt been sold off, Would she have been part of it...?
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:43 PM »
I think she would.

Offline cameroa

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2015, 01:51 PM »
I agree with you Myles and boy what a spectacular sight she would have been, leading the 'new' fleet graciously and Majestically up the Mersey to the sound of bagpipes, drums and thousands of fans ;D

Offline Paul Moran

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2015, 04:31 PM »
Myles , yes she would have been the star ;) for my money anyway. 

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2015, 01:09 PM »
Lets assume that QE2 would have been part of a four ship Cunard fleet.

The other three (QM2, QE & QV) enter the port first line astern.

then

QE2 enters on her own - its a grand one at that - dressed appropriately for the visit to salutes from her fleet mates and shore alike. A mark of respect for the longest serving ship in the fleet ever.

When the fleet departs she leads the younger ships sedately from the harbour...... horns blowing crowds cheering.

And then floors it and leaves them all standing!!!!  :P

Sorry - couldn't resist that last bit - really must grow up!!  ;)

Now back to reality....

Gav

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2015, 03:08 PM »
Really good, Gav, really good !  I, too, especially like the part where QE2 "floors it" and leaves all the others standing !!   ;D

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 05:55 PM »
Warm congratulations are in order for Michael Gallagher and for Cunard and for all involved in setting up the marvelous events celebrating the 175th anniversary of Cunard !  I believe Sir Samuel Cunard, being the businessman that he was, would be proud that the company which he founded has weathered the storms throughout the years and is going strong.

While we offer our congratulations, let us keep our beloved QE2, Forever Queen of the Seas, in our minds and in that special place in our hearts reserved only for her.

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2015, 11:02 AM »
In every speech given during the many functions of 175 (so far!) QE2 was mentioned and praised and in most interviews Angus Struthers gave she was referred to by him as "the greatest Cunarder", the "most loved" etc. So gone but certainly not forgotten in Cunard 175.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2015, 06:40 PM »
Thank you, Michael, for sharing this with us !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2015, 10:54 AM »
See details of QE2 Day onboard QM2 on 5 July in the get togethers board. 
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,6802.0.html
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #11 on: Jul 29, 2015, 10:10 AM »
Captain McNaught's Speech at the Triumph of a Great Tradition Concert in Liverpool on Saturday 4 July 2015

SPEECH 10: preceded by 'Jerusalem'

THE PHOENIX RISES: the birth, life and death of QE2

Captain Ian McNaught

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the privilege to be Master of QE2 for a number of years, and no finer ship have I sailed in.

But I travelled in her for a mere fraction of the 5.3 million miles she herself travelled - more miles than any ship in history, and I'll wager more miles than any ship yet to come.

And I met only a metaphorical handful of the 2.5 million people she carried on her 800 transatlantic crossings, 25 world cruises and countless other voyages.

QE2's history was long at forty years, and more eventful even than those great ships that battled their way through the two world wars.

She was conceived in confusion by an almost bankrupt Cunard, and constructed in chaos by an almost bankrupt shipyard, her birth plagued by strikes, delays and larceny.

The Clyde's great glory days were almost gone, and QE 2 was the very last passenger liner to thunder down the famous slip at John Brown's yard.

Analysts in the City looked at this and were quick to condemn.

"She is a white elephant fit only to be mothballed", they said in a mixed metaphor that would have failed them O level English.

Well, how wrong they were.

The ugly duckling, sneered at by many arbiters of taste for her vibrancy and the stark departure from her staid predecessors, turned into a swan.

She became the most famous ship in the world, greeted by thousands wherever she went - and she went everywhere.

Her life was filled with drama; she went to the Falklands, she was threatened by a blackmailer, attacked by the IRA, lined up for an aborted torpedo attack by Colonel Gaddaffi, impaled on rocks in Martha's Vineyard; but whatever the storm, QE2 sailed resolutely through it.

But the day which had to come one day came on 11 November 2008, and I was on the bridge to take QE2 up Southampton Water for the 726th time, the last time.

And as she headed slowly towards home she grounded, momentarily, on a sandbank she had never looked at twice before.

We stuck.

And to me she was saying "I really don't want to go".

And as darkness fell at the end of her final day at her customary berth in her home port of Southampton, we turned to face the sea and edged down Southampton Water for the last time.

And thousands upon thousands turned out to see her off, to wave, to cheer and to cry.

They filled the Mayflower Park, and they filled every vantage point on each side of the water for miles.

They sent off rockets, and lit bonfires, and as far as the eye could see flashbulbs popped in their millions.

A flotilla of boats followed us all the way to the ocean.

But she didn’t want to go.

I didn’t want her to go.

And not one of those who came to wish her well wanted her to go either.

But go she must.

It was time to say Goodbye.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Followed by: 'Time to Say Goodbye'
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2015, 12:43 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #12 on: Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM »
I really like that speech, and wish I'd heard it in person.  Thank you for posting it, and for Ian's continued passion for QE2.

Don't agree with 'but go she must' though, even in the context that it was being said back then. She needed to end service, yes, but she didn't have to leave Britain for a land completely alien to the 40 years history that had gone before.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2015, 02:54 PM »
I really like that speech, and wish I'd heard it in person.  Thank you for posting it, and for Ian's continued passion for QE2.

Don't agree with 'but go she must' though, even in the context that it was being said back then. She needed to end service, yes, but she didn't have to leave Britain for a land completely alien to the 40 years history that had gone before.

Michael, thank you very much for posting Captain McNaught's speech about our beloved QE2.  It is a wonderful and thoughtful speech and it tugs on the heartstrings of all of us who know (and I will not say it in the past tense) QE2 !  She rose out of adversity to become the greatest ship the world has ever seen and ever will see.  Her magnificent career, spanning four decades, is without equal.  And she did it all with the grace of  A True Queen !

I totally agree with Rob's words.  She should not have been made to go to a foreign land.  When it was time for her to retire, she should have retired in her own home.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2015, 04:20 PM »
Good speech and I bet there was a few tears in the eyes of ex QE2 passengers
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #15 on: Aug 06, 2015, 05:52 PM »
Not a dry in the place!
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #16 on: Sep 10, 2015, 04:05 PM »

Agreed Rob however I would  remove the words "the 40 years" from that last line!  ;)

Gav

Live Blog from the QE2 Story 50th Anniversary Conference

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Story QE2 50 year conference 22 September 2017

Replies: 35
Views: 1542
Last post Sep 26, 2017, 08:42 AM
by Bob van Leeuwen
100th Anniversary of the Cunard Express Service.... 2019

Started by TwynkleBoard Cunard

Replies: 4
Views: 494
Last post Nov 12, 2018, 09:02 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Clydebank Post remembers RMS Queen Elizabeth's 80th Anniversary

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 4
Views: 691
Last post Sep 30, 2018, 10:20 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Lusitania Anniversary events 2009 - 2015

Started by KEVBoard Ships

Replies: 9
Views: 2442
Last post Jul 24, 2015, 01:58 PM
by Chris Frame
40th anniversary tour 2007

Started by bobsoBoard The 2000s