Author Topic: Cunard's 150th Anniversary  (Read 5721 times)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Cunard's 150th Anniversary
« on: Sep 03, 2011, 11:22 AM »
In 1990, the ship crossed the Atlantic from east to west in 105 hours 57 minutes under the command of Captain Woodall to mark Cunard's 150th anniversary arriving in Southampton on the 22nd July.Then she sailed around the Britain Cruise.On the 23rd she arrives in Cobh, Ireland on her maiden call. She is greeted by 60,000 people, including the Irish premier Charles Haughey.The following day she arrives in Liverpool on her maiden call, she is anchored in the Mersey.Hundreds of thousands of spectators and a flotilla of boats greeted QE2 as she approached her anchorage.On the 25th is back home to Greenock, her first return to Scotland since her launch in 1967.

On the 27th the Royal Review of Cunard and Navy ships at Spit Head by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II aboard the Royal Yacht Britannia. The Royal party transfer by Royal barge to QE2. The Queen attends a reception in the Queen's Room, unveils a plaque to commemorate her visit in the Grand Lounge, and luncheon in the Columbia Restaurant. The Queen along the way stops to greet passengers.

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2013, 07:34 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
1990 - Cunard's 150th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:53 PM »
There is a wonderful set on flickr of photos from this special voyage.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horemhab/sets/72157603330392238/
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: Cunard's 150th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2016, 06:17 PM »
An important mark on QE2 history with a mention

Offline Mike McCann

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2019, 07:01 PM »
A truly amazing cruise. I was on board for my honeymoon and still have some lovely memorabilia from the event. Pics attached (including The Daily Mail photo of me and my wife that made it to the front page of the newspaper!)

Offline Jeff Mahler

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2020, 05:45 PM »
In 1990, the ship crossed the Atlantic from east to west in 105 hours 57 minutes under the command of Captain Woodall to mark Cunard's 150th anniversary arriving in Southampton on the 22nd July.Then she sailed around the Britain Cruise.On the 23rd she arrives in Cobh, Ireland on her maiden call. She is greeted by 60,000 people, including the Irish premier Charles Haughey.The following day she arrives in Liverpool on her maiden call, she is anchored in the Mersey.Hundreds of thousands of spectators and a flotilla of boats greeted QE2 as she approached her anchorage.On the 25th is back home to Greenock, her first return to Scotland since her launch in 1967.

On the 27th the Royal Review of Cunard and Navy ships at Spit Head by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II aboard the Royal Yacht Britannia. The Royal party transfer by Royal barge to QE2. The Queen attends a reception in the Queen's Room, unveils a plaque to commemorate her visit in the Grand Lounge, and luncheon in the Columbia Restaurant. The Queen along the way stops to greet passengers.

I think you mean west to east. and I recall that we sailed straight through a hurricane so as not to be late getting there.
Decorating the Queens room and Grand Lounge for 18 years. TOYL!