Author Topic: QE2, Concorde Salute and Princess Diana (April 1987)  (Read 1765 times)

Online Michael Gallagher

QE2, Concorde Salute and Princess Diana (April 1987)
« on: Feb 14, 2015, 06:12 PM »
With Princess Diana and many schoolchildren onboard having a party to celebrate her return to service after her re-engining Concorde salutes QE2 in Southampton.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2018, 01:51 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Concorde Salute
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2015, 09:13 PM »
Nice - and in the proper ( Landor ) livery as well; BA should never have dropped that colour scheme...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Some photos of the Royal Visit.. l remember traveling down the day before and being in the port when QE2 returned from the trip to the I.O W, watching her turn around and for a glorious moment or two the most stunning head on view and watching as QE2 docked .Then Diana departed by helicopter, and some of us got ready to embark as we departed on that historic voyage... :)

At the time Eastenders was prime time on TV and on seeing the photos taken in the Midships Lobby, some have been knowing to ask me why Dennis Watts was onboard... ;)
Hard to believe it was so long ago.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2015, 08:28 PM »
If you look carefully at the flyover you can make out the helicopter.
At the time l was loaned a video camera, and took heaps of video footage,l went on the basis if it moves, video it.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Wonderful photos !!
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Rod

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2015, 07:59 PM »
I am in picture number 2. The person in uniform, behind the sailor with the watch!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2015, 08:55 PM »
I am in picture number 2. The person in uniform, behind the sailor with the watch!
How cool! What do you remember of that moment Rod?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2015, 03:12 PM »
I spent the whole 30 minute trip talking to Princess Diana and her Lady in Waiting.
Princess Diana, very poised, very relaxed. but her makeup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Almost like she was trying to hide something!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:17 PM »
And Keith Harris and Orville were booked to perform - not because Cunard thought the kids would enjoy them because they knew Diana would enjoy them!