Author Topic: QE2 Southampton departure June July 1969  (Read 2904 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

QE2 Southampton departure June July 1969
« on: Dec 23, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Does anyone have information on the dates QE2 Departed from Southampton in June and July 1969?

We have had an enquiry from a researcher who is looking into the dates Sharon Tate sailed on QE2 in 1969

Any information on departure dates from Southampton would be useful
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline CAP

Re: QE2 Southampton departure June July 1969
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:05 PM »
Lynda,

Here are some scheduled dates for you to pass on;

June 13 & 26

July 11 & 26

With the exception of 26 June, QE2 was due to call at LeHavre en-route to New York, for the 26 she sailed via Cobh

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2014, 09:02 PM »
Thanks Chris

I have sent the information to the person who was making the enquiry. I am not sure how she could narrow it down to what voyage Sharon Tate was on but I am sure someone will know.

:)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2014, 09:13 PM »
I imagine it'll be something like comparing the dates with any gaps in her filming schedule / other appearances; it would also be easy to rule out any dates on which she was known to be in a particular location.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:47 PM »
The researcher thanks us and is meanwhile fairly sure that it was the 11 July crossing that Sharon Tate was on. CAP, would you have the arrival date in New York? Apparently Sharon Tate was back in Los Angeles on 17 July -- it seems t@ me that this would be quite feasible if she flew onwards from New York.

She also asked about cabin 1072. I do not have a deck plan here (and indeed class allocation may have been different in 1969) but assume that this was a Grills cabin?

Offline CAP

QE2 Southampton departure June July 1969
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Isabelle,

QE2's scheduled arrival was 16/7/69 which would allow for a possible follow-on arrival in LA  a day later.  In addition, cabin 1072 situated on One Deck, had two beds, two baths, showers & toilets and at the time identified as "De-Luxe Class accommodation."
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2014, 06:50 PM by CAP »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Thank you so much, Chris! I think that should pretty much have answered all her questions :) .

I am intrigued by "two beds, two baths" etc. Did this two-person cabin have two bathrooms?

Offline Daniel Winner

« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2015, 06:30 PM »
I was eleven when we returned to NY on the QE2 July 16th, 1969. That day we watched the launch of Apollo 11 (the first manned lunar mission) from tv monitors on board, and that is also when my mother pointed out Sharon Tate standing next to us in one of the ship's art galleries. I remember she was wearing jeans, a hippy vest and was noticeably pregnant.

Online June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2015, 06:41 PM »
Hi Daniel and welcome to The QE2 Story Forum.  Thank you for sharing your memories of the 16 July crossing, and please do tell us more about it.  Were any photos taken aboard ?  Please look around The Forum for all things QE2 and meet all of us here who hold QE2 dear !  June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline P Asher

« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2020, 07:25 PM »
The researcher thanks us and is meanwhile fairly sure that it was the 11 July crossing that Sharon Tate was on. CAP, would you have the arrival date in New York? Apparently Sharon Tate was back in Los Angeles on 17 July -- it seems t@ me that this would be quite feasible if she flew onwards from New York.

She also asked about cabin 1072. I do not have a deck plan here (and indeed class allocation may have been different in 1969) but assume that this was a Grills cabin?

I think that date is correct.  I was on that same voyage and saw (but did not meet) Sharon Tate several times.  Peter Ustinov was the on-board speaker. Something I shall be doing myself in 2021(plague permitting!) on the QM2.  Peter Asher
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2020, 07:26 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2020, 09:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum Peter and thanks for posting that you think 11 July was the crossing that Sharron Tate was on QE2. 

Would be good if you can post more of your memories about the crossing and QE2's original 1960's decor. 

Interesting that you will be on QM2 this year (all going well) maybe you could start a topic on the Queen Mary 2 topic board to say a little about your lecture. Maybe some of our members will be on the ship at the same time
www.qe2event.com