Author Topic: Final call to Sydney (2008)  (Read 18478 times)

Offline del

Leaving Sydney for the last time
« Reply #30 on: Sep 25, 2013, 07:00 AM »
We are on this lovely lady for a leg from Sydney to Singapore
during her last world cruise in 2008

Just pulling out from Circular Quay Sydney Harbour

Delhud

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Final call to Sydney
« Reply #31 on: Feb 07, 2015, 07:45 PM »
Thank you for the picture and the memories, Del. What a moment it must have been.

I would have loved to have experienced QE2 in Sydney, where she was complemented by the beautiful surroundings and so much enjoyed by the population!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #32 on: Feb 24, 2015, 02:33 PM »
Today marks our beloved QE2's final call to Sydney, Australia.  It was an exciting atmosphere but a tearful day as well.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Keith Walters

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2015, 03:30 AM »
Hi,
This is my first posting, as I only joined The QE2 Story yesterday.  As I'm just finding my way around, I hope I'm putting this in the right spot!
I had always enjoyed seeing QE2 over the years, in a few places in New Zealand and Australia (sometimes by chance as she sailed by) and always hoped to travel aboard her.  With the years passing as quickly as they seem to, it was only when it was announced that her final voyage was fast approaching (Auckland to Sydney sector), that I realised it was 'now or never'.  After booking, I eagerly anticipated my up-coming voyage and I was not disappointed.  The arrival in Sydney was incredible, as was the 'cross-over' with QV, on her first visit, the following day on Sydney Harbour and then the final departure of QE2 the next day, which was sad.  I watched from Circular Quay until I could no longer see her.  I was fortunate in that Cunard allowed passengers arriving in Sydney, to stay aboard one extra night and so be able to be aboard for the 'cross-over' (no additional charge)!  The first night was, of course, docked at Garden Island.  Hope to hear from anyone else who was fortunate enough to be aboard over this time.  The 'Horn War' was fantastic, right down to the 'raspberry' QE2 blew at the end.

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2015, 04:54 AM »
Hello Keith and welcome to the forum!
This is the #1 QE2 site on the web!
I really enjoyed reading your interesting story on QE2's final call to Sydney.
Can't wait to hear more stories from the voyage!
-Brandon :)
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2015, 04:12 PM »
Welcome, Keith, to The QE2 Story Forum.  It is clear from your introduction that you have a great fondness for our beloved QE2.  All of us do and I hope you will enjoy finding your way around The Forum and to meeting through The Forum all of us who hold her dear.  I am looking forward to hearing more about your experiences aboard QE2.

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Keith Walters

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 04:00 AM »
Hi.
A few more words on the final voyage to Sydney, from Auckland, of Queen Elizabeth 2. 
The evening of departure from Auckland, Thursday 21 February, 2008, was actually rather an unpleasant evening weather-wise.  This did make me feel a little apprehensive initially, however I certainly felt the ship handled the Trans-Tasman crossing beautifully.   Apart from 'grabbing' a vase which was toppling on my table on the first morning at sea, there was only one other time the ship 'noticeably' moved, which was while dining on the evening before arrival in Sydney.  The bow plunged and a bottle broke somewhere near me, as it hit the floor.  I'm absolutely certain any other ship would have been less stable and capable as our QE2! 
The Captain's report each day (Captain Ian McNaught), was always made more enjoyable with his words such as 'magnificent', which always preceded the name of the ship.  Quite a character. 
I was truly 'blown away' with the number of craft and people ashore, who had made the effort to rise early to view QE2 entering Sydney Heads and head up the beautiful Sydney Harbour, on Sunday 24 February.
Cheers,
Keith.           

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2015, 09:25 AM »
Hi.
A few more words on the final voyage to Sydney, from Auckland, of Queen Elizabeth 2. 
The evening of departure from Auckland, Thursday 21 February, 2008, was actually rather an unpleasant evening weather-wise.  This did make me feel a little apprehensive initially, however I certainly felt the ship handled the Trans-Tasman crossing beautifully.   Apart from 'grabbing' a vase which was toppling on my table on the first morning at sea, there was only one other time the ship 'noticeably' moved, which was while dining on the evening before arrival in Sydney.  The bow plunged and a bottle broke somewhere near me, as it hit the floor.  I'm absolutely certain any other ship would have been less stable and capable as our QE2! 
The Captain's report each day (Captain Ian McNaught), was always made more enjoyable with his words such as 'magnificent', which always preceded the name of the ship.  Quite a character. 
I was truly 'blown away' with the number of craft and people ashore, who had made the effort to rise early to view QE2 entering Sydney Heads and head up the beautiful Sydney Harbour, on Sunday 24 February.
Cheers,
Keith.           
Hi Keith,
Great to read more about your QE2 experience!
Wish I could have sailed on the ship during her sailing days!
-Brandon
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline skilly56

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2015, 01:01 PM »
The last departure from Auckland was memorable in more ways than one!

A few bus loads of passengers had spent the day up at the vineyards in Matakana, north of Auckland. The buses arrived back at the ship a little late, and my wife and I were still aboard, standing at the top of the gangway where everyone swipes in (and we were fairly 'happy' as well!).
The people arriving back were 'very very happy' to put it mildly, and then the wheel chairs started arriving up. The first one came over the curve of the brow about 8 feet in front of us and rolled over, landing the occupant in a giggling heap on the deck. Security were trying to scan her card while she was still lying on the deck. She was thoroughly enjoying all the attention, and was in a very painless state. This happened with three wheelchairs that we saw - no one was hurt, and everyone was laughing. Wonder what they were like in the morning?

When we eventually got off the ship we joined the thousands who had come down to see her off. Ian McNaught backed out into the stream, then just sat there blasting the whistle (if it had been supplied from air bottles the engineers would have turned them off pretty quick) for about 10 minutes. Slowly, she moved into the darkness and we drove toward home. When we got close to home (about 1 hour north of Auckland) we drove up onto a bluff and watched her disappear into the Hauraki Gulf. A great sight, and an everlasting memory.
We didn't know then that 5 months later we would join her again, in Southampton.
Skilly

Offline Keith Walters

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2015, 02:33 AM »
The last departure from Auckland was memorable in more ways than one!

A few bus loads of passengers had spent the day up at the vineyards in Matakana, north of Auckland. The buses arrived back at the ship a little late, and my wife and I were still aboard, standing at the top of the gangway where everyone swipes in (and we were fairly 'happy' as well!).
The people arriving back were 'very very happy' to put it mildly, and then the wheel chairs started arriving up. The first one came over the curve of the brow about 8 feet in front of us and rolled over, landing the occupant in a giggling heap on the deck. Security were trying to scan her card while she was still lying on the deck. She was thoroughly enjoying all the attention, and was in a very painless state. This happened with three wheelchairs that we saw - no one was hurt, and everyone was laughing. Wonder what they were like in the morning?

When we eventually got off the ship we joined the thousands who had come down to see her off. Ian McNaught backed out into the stream, then just sat there blasting the whistle (if it had been supplied from air bottles the engineers would have turned them off pretty quick) for about 10 minutes. Slowly, she moved into the darkness and we drove toward home. When we got close to home (about 1 hour north of Auckland) we drove up onto a bluff and watched her disappear into the Hauraki Gulf. A great sight, and an everlasting memory.
We didn't know then that 5 months later we would join her again, in Southampton.
Skilly

Hi,
I think I must have been the last passenger on deck heading north from Auckland.  It was very windy and the Pilot boat was alongside (port) and the sea was almost making it 'stand on end'.  Not a job for the faint-hearted!  Eventually, it moved astern and came alongside on the starboard side of QE2.  Much easier and more sheltered...the Pilot was back on his boat in no time.  It was nice to see the historical old steam-tug 'William C. Daldy', which had also headed out of the Harbour with sight-seers (the only vessel I noticed that had done so).  I waved when possibly no-one could or would have noticed from aboard her.  Our speed had increased quickly and QE2's power was evident.
Cheers,
Keith.     

Offline skilly56

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2015, 02:52 PM »
Hi Keith,
Just found out that a couple of those blasts were the 3rd mate saying farewell to his parents (us!).
I have here at home the NZ flag that was flying from the mast when she sailed - Ian McNaught and all the other nav officers signed it and presented it to my son. A very nice momento.
Skilly

Offline Chris

Final Call To Sydney (2008)
« Reply #41 on: Aug 05, 2020, 04:21 AM »
What a day this was! QE2 and QV made a rendezvous in Sydney Harbour as QE2 Relocated from a berth at the Naval Base to the Circular Quay Passenger Terminal. QV looked rather boxy next to the elegant QE2:

Note: image not available

The two ships exchanged whistle blasts:

And of course QE2’s was the most spectacular!

Then the following day, QE2 departed Sydney. I was lucky enough to be aboard. Here’s a short video of the final whistle blast in Sydney city - though there was plenty more as we made our way towards the heads and said farewell to all the passing boats:

« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2022, 09:25 PM by Lynda Bradford »
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Final call to Sydney (2008)
« Reply #42 on: Aug 05, 2020, 01:32 PM »
Chris, could you please have a look at some of your earlier posts in this topic, where the videos have disappeared? If the posts should be deleted, please let us know, and we can do it for you.

Offline del

« Reply #43 on: Aug 27, 2021, 04:23 AM »
didn`t see The Queen arrive in Sydney for the final time
but my wife & I travelled to Sydney for part of her final goodbye
We cruised on The Queen from Sydney to Singapore  and we
remember very well the departure from Sydney and the welcome the ship
received at all the places we docked at
It was a wonderful experience to be on The Queen at that time

Del

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #44 on: Aug 27, 2021, 12:35 PM »
didn`t see The Queen arrive in Sydney for the final time
but my wife & I travelled to Sydney for part of her final goodbye
We cruised on The Queen from Sydney to Singapore  and we
remember very well the departure from Sydney and the welcome the ship
received at all the places we docked at
It was a wonderful experience to be on The Queen at that time

Del

Del that must have been an amazing experience, especially the welcome QE2 got at all the ports.  Last year before the pandemic I cruised on QM2 around Australia and regretted that I had not had the opportunity to do the trip on QE2. 

It would be lovely to see photos of the Sydney departure and any of the welcome at ports!  :)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Hello from Simon - final transatlantic (book)

Started by VgerBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 6
Views: 2584
Last post Jan 11, 2011, 05:38 AM
by Scott Ebersold
QE2 final eastbound Atlantic crossing

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 6
Views: 3390
Last post Feb 14, 2012, 09:42 PM
by Twynkle
QE2 Final voyage

Started by singlemaltBoard Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 91
Views: 34614
Last post Nov 05, 2015, 02:41 AM
by Brandon Sterkel
Pete Cain's final cruise on Saga Ruby (August / September 2013)

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Saga Ruby

Replies: 111
Views: 42975
Last post Aug 09, 2017, 11:31 PM
by Andy Holloway
Final departures from ports around the world

Started by TwynkleBoard Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 8
Views: 5999
Last post Mar 16, 2012, 06:18 PM
by rmeneses