Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: All The Sounds aboard QE2  (Read 10243 times)

Offline Twynkle

All The Sounds aboard QE2
« on: Jun 19, 2009, 01:39 PM »

What can everyone remember?

On going into the Yacht Club -
That constant tinkling of glasses!

And the sounds of vacuum cleaners along the alleyways...

Dining tables -
that sort of dull thud of the cutlery and glasses as they were placed on the table cloths...

Ice, landing in a tumbler....

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Avariel

Re: All The Sounds aboard QE2
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2009, 03:57 PM »
The sounds of the engines.

I used to press my ear to the walls to listen to the engines hum.

And all the creaking of the ship. Probably the best sounds to fall asleep listening to.

I was so happy when I discovered that the air cooling system of the student house I stayed in when I was in Australia made a similar creaking sound.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2009, 04:34 PM »
The sound and feel of the cool air coming out of your cabin vents at night when all is quiet coupled with muffled sound of the sea outside and the intermittent creaking sounds as the ship gently rolled -can't beat it!

That memory is over 30 years old but is as fresh as if I experienced it yesterday! 

Offline Kathy M.

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2009, 05:09 PM »
I remember the pounding (and I think part of the noise was stabilizers) - we were in very high seas for my entire crossing!  I was thrown from my bed the first night!
Kathy

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2009, 05:17 PM »
All of those... yes, they all bring back wonderful memories...

And the sound of the Captain's mid day announcements... and the Third Officer's navigational information... followed by the International Hostess saying it all again in German, and / or Italian, and / or Japanese. And the way everyone stopped to listen to the Captain and the Third Officer -- and returned to normal activity as soon as the International Hostess started!

I recorded quite a few, but most were too long to upload to Flickr...  :(

Here are the ones that I managed to get there :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2930615808/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3119432451/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3166564702/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3743367958/

Happy days!!

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Being warm and snug inside the ship, even as far down as a five deck cabin, and hearing the fog horn.

The toilets flushing with a rush of real high pressure water... you don't get that on any modern ship!

The loud CLICK! of my cabin key unlocking or locking the door... another thing not found on modern ships...

The Princess Bar steward saying "The usual, sir?"  as soon as I walk in.

Crew members saying "Welcome back, it's good to see you again"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2009, 07:26 PM »

Yes - that's so true

and all our Thank yous were met with...'Your Welcome'

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline mickey g

« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2009, 09:47 PM »
The thumping sounds of the engines midships on deck 5 (recorded by me), wonderful.

Captain Ian McNaught's midday messages after the midday ships whistle when at sea.

Changez in the Yacht Club after dinner.

The whistling Egyptians on the banks of the Suez Canal.

Frank Sinatra singing New York, New York as we sailed along the Hudson on leaving New York (not for real, of course)

The sound of the tenders being raised back to their derricks

The sound of the ship's tenders trying to get along side in a choppy sea.

The sound of the tugs whistles as we left various ports (especially Le Verdon just a year ago, truly memorable)

Drunken fellow "guests" arriving back to their cabin in the small hours (well perhaps not)

Many more of course, but my all time favourite was on the port side deck aft of the Yacht Club just watching the sea go by when she was under way, wonderfully unforgettable (nothing to do with the wine of course!)

Ah sweet memories

Yacht Club lover

Offline EtruriaGuy

« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2009, 07:52 AM »
In the gym or the inside swimming pool you could often hear the gentle rumble of an Atlantic swell followed by the lurching of the ship seconds later.     Was a good core workout while on the cross trainer in the gym!!  :)

Although nothing to do with sound.  I remember sitting on the floor in the gym resting between sets(or sitting pretending to work out) and was suprised at the amount of heat in the floor coming from below.   

Also loved the sound of water as it hit a port hole on the lower decks!!!  :)

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2009, 08:51 PM »
For me it was two main things :

Firstly the gentle creaking and groaning as she was underway - you just don't get this on any other form of transport

Secondly the annoucements from the bridge - it always made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when you heard "good evening ladies and gentleman this is the officer of the watch speaking to you from the bridge"

Also playing New York on the arrival into NYC and Rule Britania on leaving NYC was a lasting 'sound' memory

jdl

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2009, 02:36 PM »

In my cabin on Four Deck Fwd the "washing machine" affect on the portholes.I used to love that.

Louis

Offline pete cain

« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2009, 08:36 PM »
The sound of the harp, or celestial strings , playing as you walked aboard from the gangway at Southampton, knowing you really were 'back home' with all the other sounds posted previously to follow....

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 03:39 PM »
This topic brings back a flood of memories!!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 04:17 PM »
On the Bit Beneath the Bridge
As we came into port - people, sometimes as many as 4 deep, spoke in hushed voices - out of respect.....
On breezy days at sea - there was a happy sort of 'nearly-shouting'
On windy days - there was just the sound of the waves breaking, and the wind. Wonderful!

Offline Rod

« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2011, 12:34 AM »
For me. That sound in the middle of the night.....when there was no sound! Then about 10 seconds later...the whoooooo, whoooo, whoooo mof the Engineers alarm!

Online Bob C.

QE2 Sounds
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:20 AM »
The QSF has done a fabulous job of pleasing the visual senses with QE2 history and memories but what about the aural senses?  Does anyone have any sound clips other than her whistles?  Is there a way to upload sound files?  Sounds like the noise of the ocean on the lower decks, the sound in the passageways, elevators (lifts), restaurant sounds, cabin creeking, announcements and so on. 

Hopefully we can get a few and perhaps create a QE2 soundboard.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:13 PM »
For me. That sound in the middle of the night.....when there was no sound! Then about 10 seconds later...the whoooooo, whoooo, whoooo mof the Engineers alarm!

This is Interesting, Rod!
No sounds - sounds ominous
Where were you...?
What next? Can hardly wait...? Pleeese! :)

Offline Rod

« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2012, 12:02 AM »
It happened more often as a steamship.
The ships electrical system, if for some reason they had reduced power would "shed load" to try and keep things going. Say if we lost a generator. A/C was first to go and that was a LOT of the background noise you never noticed until it was not there.
If you spent a lot of time on the ship you got used to the noises and would come alert if they stopped. My wife did the same when she travelled. If the situation could not be contained, for whatever reason, then the Senior Engineer on watch would sound the alarm in the sports deck accom. My wife learned after the first time not to stick her head out the cabin door if the alarm was sounding. She would either get it hit by a running body...." Sorry Deb" or she might see something she didnt really want to.
I will add. The Engineer alarm was for Engineers ONLY, and only sounded on sports deck. It happened sometimes that it would spread but that was a Bridge call. Like the big fire.

Offline Rod

« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2012, 12:06 AM »
Another sound that pax would never get....The sound of wire coat hangers as the ship rolled from side to side.
Officers laundry was delivered on coat hangers. Each week about 5 new ones. People were too lazy to get rid of them.
When the ship rolled you would get that annoying tinkle of about 50 coat hangers rolling from 1 side to another.
Little things, little things!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2012, 12:57 AM »
Those sounds! I can almost hear them as you write, and can imagine noticing the absence of one of them.

Thank you for those (very vivid) memories  :D .