Author Topic: New Member (Jeff Boardman)  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Jeff Boardman

New Member (Jeff Boardman)
« on: Nov 03, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Hello all,

As a way of introduction.

I joined QE2 when she returned from the Falklands, I was actually in Portsmouth naval dockyard getting a Port Line refrigeration ship fitted out to go down to the Falkands.
I sailed as Radio Officer for approx 10 years experiencing the 6 month refit in Germany as she had the boilers removed and went diesel electric as she was not viable with fuel consumption without the refit. I was then an Electronics Officer (Radio Officers had been made redundant). I was then transferred to Cunard Countess in the Caribbean for five years before returning to QE2 and sailing first as Electronics and then Computer Systems Officer. In 2003 I went to Saint Nazaire France to standby the building of QM2 where I sailed as First Electronics Officer until retirement in 2012 after 45 years with Cunard. I was actually at the maiden voyage sailing from Southampton in 1969 of the QE2 visiting her with a package from the ship I was on 'Carmania' which was also alongside.
I saw the QE2 in Dubai during the world cruises on Queen Mary 2. Also I was on QM2 when they sailed across the Atlantic together close to her final voyage.
Hope someone finds the above interesting.
Cheers
Jeff Boardman
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2014, 08:23 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2014, 05:09 PM »
Hope someone finds the above interesting.

Definitely, Jeff! And very welcome to the Forum!

There are so many questions and so many stories to be told -- you could have us all spellbound for months!

Just for a start, I should like to go to the very beginning : what were your first impressions of QE2, and what were the circumstances in which these happened?

It is quite possible that our paths might have crossed at some stage, as we sailed a number of times on QE2 between 2000 and 2008. My mother, who was on board in 1998, sent and received (hugely expensive) faxes via Inmarsat (she had her birthday on board) -- would that have involved you?

Enjoy the Forum! And no doubt some familiar faces will show up :) .

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Welcome, Jeff, to The Forum and thank you very much for your introduction.  I think we would all very much like to hear more about your time on board and how things changed over the years both in the particulars of the equipment and with your own positions.  I agree with Isabelle, please start at the beginning and share with us every detail.  Do you by chance have any photos ?

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2014, 07:50 PM »
Hello Jeff and welcome.

That is quite a CV you have there and it would be wonderful if you were able to share some of your stories and memories from your time aboard.

We also have a couple of other ex R/O's on the forum, one of which I am sure you will know.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,5803.msg58895.html#msg58895
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Rod

« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Welcome Jeff!
Willum is also on here!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: New Member (Jeff Boardman)
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Welcome aboard Jeff!

What a fantastic first post.  You must have some absolutely brilliant stories to tell.  I am very envious, as I think of my boring 9-5 office job staring at a computer screen...

Have you kept many photos?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2014, 09:06 PM »
Hello Jeff and welcome! Good to have you here. It sounds like you've had a very interesting career indeed. Like the rest of us here, I too hope you will share some of your stories and information with us. :)
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Welcome Jeff and thank-you for a very interesting introduction.  I am certainly looking forward to hearing more about your career. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2014, 02:01 PM »
...and I'd like to see a load of photos, especially if you were on board for the September 1st 2002 departure from Southampton...  :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2014, 08:20 AM »
Can I just add my welcome to that of those above and hope you enjoy the forum and can share your QE2 / Cunard memories with us!

Regards

Gav

Offline holynougat

« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2014, 12:32 PM »
Hi Jeff! - we worked together on QE2 and QM2 for many years!

Were you at the QE2 launch or a member of crew in the early years?

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 918
Last post Sep 07, 2016, 03:46 PM
by Lynda Bradford
Who was youngest ever crew member on QE2.?

Started by John D Hobley FinstRBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 18
Views: 404
Last post Feb 23, 2021, 01:00 PM
by Vincent Scriven
Member visits to John Browns

Started by NairBBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 63
Views: 16433
Last post Sep 12, 2012, 07:41 PM
by Bob C.

Started by CJMayer1980Board Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 13