Author Topic: ps Waverley Techy Matters! (Info, Q&A on the technical side of the ship)  (Read 18269 times)

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Hi June - no problem and thanks for your kind comments!

According to the wreck site link I included in reply to Isabelle above she lies in about 27m of water. This site also says although her superstructure is gone her hull, boilers and wheels are still recognisable so I assume someone has dove on her at some point but she will be a war grave so hopefully people are respectful of that.

I am pretty sure that masters went between vessels in the fleet so he may not have been permanent on Waverley - I know he was also in command of Queen Mary II before he retired in the 1970s. The official LNER photo of him taking Waverley out into service 08.06.47 is attached. He is standing by the engine telegraph on her starboard bridge wing (which were much larger than they are now - they were shortened when they came into contact with Dunoon pier at low tide!)
Heres a nice wee article from the old PSPS Scotland Blog which mentions him (and has a shot of those big bridge wings!!)
http://pspsscotland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/sixty-five-years-ago-16th-june-1947.html

Conditions will play a part in Waverley's performance as it does any vessel - during her Clyde season it will take very inclement conditions to keep her in port!

Waverley was DC as built in 1947 but post rebuild she is 400V 3 Phase AC. When I was a work party regular the electrical testing was an annual task and covered all the ship's electrical systems. I think a sub contractor now takes care of this. The task basically verifies that her electrical circuits (cabling etc) are in good order by using an insulation tester to check the resistance between a conductor (Live or Neutral) and earth - when I was testing I would expect a result >100megohms with the tester on the 1000V setting.  Over and above the insulation test 3 phase electric motors (eg the boiler forced draught fan drives) would also be checked for winding balance (measuring the resistance between the windings  U-V, U-W, V-W which should all be the same). I think Earth Loop Impedance tests were carried out also.

The 360 site gives you a unique view of her - the boiler room views show most of the uptakes, oil and diesel tanks and her generators we were discussing in another thread.

On a different note my wife (Shelagh) painted the whole of the upper engine room single handed in 2005 - she was very proud of that achievement!  :D

Gav

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2014, 08:54 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline Twynkle

Hi Gav

Please give very best regards to your wife; what an awesome achievement that was!
Waverley's ER probably ranks as one of the most big little and awkward spaces afloat.
And the little foundry's eagle - expect that she will have polished that as well?!
Rosie
PS for June
There are very many images as well as videos of Waverley's Engine Room here!

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=waverley+engines&ss=0&ct=0&mt=all&w=all&adv=1
https://www.flickr.com/search?safe_search=1&sort=relevance&text=waverley%20engines%20videos
Edited - Hope these links work for you, June.
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2014, 08:21 PM by Twynkle »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Hi Gav -

Thank you very much for all of this wonderful information, and again, thank you very much for taking the time to post it for us.

Quite right that as a war grave, the sunken Waverley should be respected.

That is a great picture of Captain Cameron.  Thank you too for the link to the article from the PSPS Scotland Blog. 

What do the following mean ?  U-V, U-W, V-W

Shelagh completed an amazing task by painting the whole of the upper engine room - congratulations to her !!   :)

Is Waverley pretty consistently booked for her cruises ? 

How frequently do her paddle wheels need to be serviced and or repaired ?

She really is a gem of a ship.

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Thanks, very much, Rosie !

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2014, 08:43 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Hi Gav

Please give very best regards to your wife; what an awesome achievement that was!
Waverley's ER probably ranks as one of the most big little and awkward spaces afloat.
And the little foundry's eagle - expect that she will have polished that as well?!
Rosie

Hi Rosie,

Thanks I will do and yes it is very awkward indeed!! Although less so for Shelagh as she is only 4ft 10in tall!!
There is a foundry eagle on each big end - Rankin & Blackmore's works were called Eagle Foundry. Rumour has it that after the start of WWII the design of the eagle was changed as it was deemed to look too much like the Nazi eagle!  Dont know if that is true or not though!!

Gav

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Hi Gav -

What do the following mean ?  U-V, U-W, V-W

Shelagh completed an amazing task by painting the whole of the upper engine room - congratulations to her !!   :)

Is Waverley pretty consistently booked for her cruises ? 

How frequently do her paddle wheels need to be serviced and or repaired ?

She really is a gem of a ship.

U-V etc is the designation given to the windings of a motor so the where the wires are connected (L1, L2 & L3 in a 3 phase system) would tend to be marked thus. Motors can be wired in star or delta configs - star is used where the equipment the motor is driving requires a lot of torque to start it rotating - so you would start in the star and then after x time switch to delta which gives you full speed, full power.

The wheels are inspected throughout the season - float replacement is on a rolling plan which works through every winter ie not ever float is replaced every winter! This reduces (but not eliminate of course) the amount of failures during the season. The metal works of the wheels are inspected for wear / cracking etc on a rolling basis as well.

Waverley's bookings vary - the Clyde is usually busier when the English school holidays start. The Western Isles, Bristol Channel, South Coast and Thames sailings tend to be busier as the ship is in these areas for a shorter period of time. All of this is of course weather dependant and as a result  a lot of people will not book and wait to see how it turns out on the day before deciding whether to sail!!

Gav
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2014, 01:31 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Again - rather than me put you to sleep with my waffling here are some links to Waverley's Drydocking in 2005. The port side wheel was removed to have a new shaft fitted (this was to be done during the second phase of the rebuild but there was insufficient time)

Waverley has drydocked every year since 2005 at Garvel Drydock, Greenock - a fair volume of the Calmac ferry fleet have their annual overhauls carried out in here also. When the ship was in drydock the volunteer work parties still happened through the week and on Sat so there was an excellent opportunity to get down into the dock and get a look at the bits normally underwater.

In 2005 I was fortunate enough to be on the run down from Glasgow and into the drydock so had first hand experience of what its like to take the Worlds Only Seagoing Paddlesteamer into drydock!! In the first report if you look closely at the stern view of her on the river on the left (port) paddlebox theres a figure - that was me disconnecting the lighting etc from the paddlebox in preparation for Garvel cutting the top off!

Theres a couple of photos of Shelagh doing her painting in here as well....

http://www.waverleyandbalmoral.co.uk/PSWaverley/articles05/drydock1/index.htm
http://www.waverleyandbalmoral.co.uk/PSWaverley/articles05/drydock2/index.htm
http://www.waverleyandbalmoral.co.uk/PSWaverley/articles05/drydock3/index.htm
http://www.waverleyandbalmoral.co.uk/PSWaverley/articles05/drydock4/index.htm

I hope this is of interest - the one of her blowing her boilers down (regulations do not permit her boilers to be active while in drydock) is particularly good. The website these links are to is full of good stuff about Waverley and Balmoral.

Thanks for you time and kind comments!

Gav
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2014, 01:34 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Hi Gav -

Thank you so very much for your descriptions, explanations, links, and charts.  I want to spend more time looking over all of this fabulous information but I want to thank you very much for taking the time to do all of this.  It is very much appreciated !  I see you there on the port paddlebox !  Waverley is a remarkable little ship and I am very much enjoying learning more about her.  Is there an average amount of time that each ferry from the Calmac fleet spends in dry dock ? 

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Hi June,

Thanks once again for your comments. Waverley is one of a few ships left (ss Shieldhall is another) which allows you access to traditional marine engineering. Before I got involved I had no clue about most of that - what you see here is basically what I picked up through being a volunteer in the winter and talking to the "learned" people you meet as a result. A lot of engineers are of the opinion that engineering cadets should at least have some time on the likes of Waverley as a "grounding".

Her equipment is a triumph of engineering common sense (IMHO) which to me is rarely applied these days - most of the time we look for the most complicated solution!! We should look to our Victorian forefathers for guidance!!

Gav
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2014, 08:54 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Hi Gav -

Thank you very much for your post and I totally agree with what you write.  Waverley's engine set up really is very good.  I do believe that engineering cadets should have some time on a ship like Waverley.  I will no doubt be blown out of the water so to speak, but I think deck officers should have a grounding in sail.  In view of what a gem Waverley is, I am very pleased that she is being taken such good care of and being used for many people to enjoy.  I have during the course of our discussions become a Waverley fan.  I hope one day to see her in person.  I want to look through more carefully all of the information you sent along yesterday, and I am sure I will have some more questions.

Thanks again !

June   :D

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Hi Gav -

Thank you very much for your post and I totally agree with what you write.  Waverley's engine set up really is very good.  I do believe that engineering cadets should have some time on a ship like Waverley.  I will no doubt be blown out of the water so to speak, but I think deck officers should have a grounding in sail.  In view of what a gem Waverley is, I am very pleased that she is being taken such good care of and being used for many people to enjoy.  I have during the course of our discussions become a Waverley fan.  I hope one day to see her in person.  I want to look through more carefully all of the information you sent along yesterday, and I am sure I will have some more questions.

Thanks again !

June   :D

Thanks June - I have updated the specifications in the very top post to include the capacities (oil, diesel etc) we were discussing a short while ago and also some more general information on the ship (significant dates etc etc).

Gav
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2014, 12:25 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Hi Gav -

Thanks very much for your message and for the update to Waverley's specifications.  She really is an awesome little steamer !!

June    :D

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Hi Gav -

I hope all is well.

Right now, is Waverley tucked in for the winter, or is she having some work done on her .  If not now, could you please tell me what the timetable is ?

Thanks,

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Hi June,

Sorry for the delayed reply!

The only timetable currently published is her early season Western Isles and Clyde Timetable (follow link to topic below). The full timetable containing all areas is yet to be published at this time.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,6455.0.html

Gav

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Hi Gav -

Thanks very much for your message and Happy New Year to you and your family !

Do you know what maintenance work will be carried out on Waverley and when it is scheduled ?

Have a great day !

June  :)

Waverley Updates - 2018

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 90
Views: 16147
Last post Dec 19, 2018, 12:24 PM
by Clydebuilt1971
Little and large (Waverley with QM2 and QE2)

Started by WaverleyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 9
Views: 3526
Last post Oct 24, 2009, 10:13 AM
by luzparis
PS Waverley - Season 2020 is go!!

Started by Clydebuilt1971Board PS Waverley

Replies: 30
Views: 2818
Last post Sep 09, 2020, 10:52 PM
by tramscape
Who owns the Waverley - and key people involved