Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Mary Shops to change..  (Read 3471 times)

Online cunardqueen

Queen Mary Shops to change..
« on: Sep 11, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Interesting to read that present Promenade shops onboard have been given 30 days to quite..

http://www.gazettes.com/news/queen-mary-retailers-forced-out/article_3319ac2a-3954-11e4-a85d-6776005a908f.html   

From my own point of view, The Dragon shoppe had a prime location and was filled by the most useless pile of junk you could ever imagine to see. And really it should have gone long ago. Past Times was always a tad overpriced however a good choice of vintage (antique) items, it was always a surprise to see items l had purchased or owned in there at overinflated prices. Slightly bigger than a Phone box it was none the less a very interesting place and always nice to chat QE2 to the staff.I believe the owner has the photo concession for taking Sunday brunch pictures.
 On the opposide side you had Transatlantic Style again a very small space devoted to a few Queen Mary items and a great many other "souvenirs" .
Queen Mary Couture  a fashion shop which l did venture in but walked out as quickly thinking it had no place on the ship. The Queen Mary store a much larger shop always had a great range of quality souvenirs. from Queen Mary relating to her War time service and her passenger service. The Tee shirt shop had a selection of QM T shirts along with other souvenirs some ship related and a good range of model kits, l bought a QE2 model kit there the Gunze Sanyo version for what l thought was a good price.   
 At the hotel reception you also had a lovely newsagent style of shop again selling Queen Mary souvenirs and magazines and the sort of things you would expect sweets, sof drinks  etc, it was a boon for overnight guests. 
Then again there is the Scottish Heritage Center and that sold many Scottish things from your own Ancestry plaques,charts mugs to a small scottish food section, run by a lovely lady l couldnt go in there without buying something, the last time being a cassette (and whens the last time anybody played one of them) It was l fear how every American thinks of Scotland and how we would describe as very touristy. They did however sell Mcvities chocolate biscuits, my favourite ! and Irn Bru  ;) among other food items.

What is sad is that in all my visits you never saw the shops busy, but the staff were were very happy there and in this day and age can engage with their customers. Lord knows how some of them made a profit, but there you go You cant run a business on feelings.
I guess its a sign of the times that things are changing on Queen Mary, at present l dont have any plans to visit her on my next holiday in December
I just hope the new shop owners can do justice to a great lady.
The link below gives added shopping details..
  http://www.queenmary.com/stay-aboard/shopping/   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online cunardqueen

Re: Queen Mary Shops to change..
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2014, 06:44 PM »
and some more pics

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2014, 06:50 PM »
and some more

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Hi Myles -

Thank you very much for the commentary regarding QM's shops, the link to the article, and the wonderful photos.  It will be interesting to see what transpires but sad to hear how so many people who enjoy being on QM will be forced to leave.

June   :'(
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online cunardqueen

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2014, 05:57 PM »
Hi Myles -

Thanks very much for posting the link to the article regarding extending the leases of the current shop owners.  I think that is a very good move, and I hope the new shop management company will work with current shop owners who want to stay.

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2015, 05:56 AM »
I was shocked and angry when I learned that the Queen Mary's shops were to close. >:(   They looked like very good stores. I would've bought lots of ocean liner "stuff" from there!
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2015, 07:39 PM »
Brandon
The shops havent closed, they were just given notice to leave  ??? then  new suppliers came along. The old shops didnt contribute (other than the rent payments) to the ship revenue.
Given how they see this as progress is beyond me. Granted some of the shops were hopeless, l refer to the Old Dragon Shoppe which had prime space and had the biggest pile of tat you ever saw, and nothing ship related, so it wont be a loss, and l gather they were behind in their rent payments, But now you can buy an expensive Time share Club Whyndham. They have a wine shop, which you would assume and prey has a QM wine .
The Diana Shop has also stopped as part of the terms of the shops closure, but they still have the Diana exhibition
I gather Stacks which was a ship run shop has closed as part of the deal,The good thing with Stacks was they had decent quality souvenirs, and the money was ploughed back into the Ship.
Past times on board was always a tiny shop and was always quite expensive. I gather the owner of that also does the photos for Sunday brunch .
Anyway l attached some old photos before the new shops appeared...

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 2015, 08:18 PM »
Thanks for the info! Thanks to this new information, the only store I am sad about leaving now is Stacks. By the looks of it, it seemed like an interesting store.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #9 on: Apr 13, 2015, 10:57 PM »
Heres some more information on the shops that are onboard
They do appear to be refurbishing the previous shops and dare l say improving it all in general..

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2015, 11:19 PM »
Heres some more information on the shops that are onboard
They do appear to be refurbishing the previous shops and dare l say improving it all in general..
They have opened 3 more stores besides the preview center within the past week. By the looks of it and previous photos, it seems they are selling the same merchandise that Stacks sold.