Author Topic: QE2 Stairways and Lifts  (Read 23953 times)

Offline Rod

Re: QE2 Stairways and Lifts
« Reply #60 on: Mar 11, 2012, 09:02 PM »
I remember several times seeing elevators that stopped between decks.  I'm betting that the flexing of the elevator/lift shafts had somethingto do with that.

In a sense yes. Not because of jamming, trust me, the clearence between the guide shoes and the rails was  "adequate", but more because of missed sensors, which back in them there days were trip and microswitches. As far as clearance...if you were in an elevator during rough weather you could feel the extensive movement from side to side.

Offline Rod

« Reply #61 on: Mar 11, 2012, 09:04 PM »
Even in 1967/68?
Even in 67/68...think Empire State building.

Offline Rod

« Reply #62 on: Mar 11, 2012, 09:07 PM »
Any truth in that if you were in the lifts and you pressed the button and held it in you would bypass the decks in between and travel uninterrupted to the deck you requested..?
Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt...

No. The only way to bypass a pushed button was to flick the emergency off switch.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #63 on: Mar 11, 2012, 10:29 PM »
If you got a non-stop run in the lift that simply means nobody on any of the intervening decks pressed one of the call buttons while you were in the lift.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Rod

« Reply #64 on: Mar 12, 2012, 12:39 AM »
If you got a non-stop run in the lift that simply means nobody on any of the intervening decks pressed one of the call buttons while you were in the lift.

That is correct. One of the bad things about QE2 lift/elevator buttons was that they were not buttons at all but switches set off by static electricity. In NY in winter for example when the heat was on with the nylon carpets...you could get in an elevator an go to touch a "button" and they would all light up! And stop at all floors.

Offline Rod

« Reply #65 on: Mar 12, 2012, 12:43 AM »
Another thing about elevators on QE2.
E stair with 4 elevators, was set up as duplex...ie the 2 port ran as a pair and the 2 starboard ran as a pair. So, if you pressed say the starboard call button on a deck the port elevators wouldnt respond becaused they hadn't been called.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #66 on: Mar 12, 2012, 12:01 PM »
That is correct. One of the bad things about QE2 lift/elevator buttons was that they were not buttons at all but switches set off by static electricity. In NY in winter for example when the heat was on with the nylon carpets...you could get in an elevator an go to touch a "button" and they would all light up! And stop at all floors.

See reply #34 on this topic for a video example of what Rod is talking about on the original lifts.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #67 on: Mar 12, 2012, 04:37 PM »
Thats what l thought, but a few times Iv been waiting for the lift to arrive (along with others) and it just doesnt stop..its sails on past :-\
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #68 on: Mar 12, 2012, 04:40 PM »
Yes - if a lift has started moving just before you press the call button that can happen - especially with modern software controlled lifts.  Depends on how many floors ( or decks in this case! ) away it is when you press the button.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Rod

« Reply #69 on: Mar 12, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Regarding "A" stairway elevators/lifts. When I was on 71-Xmas 88 "A" lifts were totally pax lifts. The lifts were on the "triplex" system. ie one lift had a home port on 2 deck, one on boat deck and the third on 5 deck. There had been discussions for many years to make one a crew lift but cost to get Otis to change from a triplex to a duplex and a single was ...well lets say they were tight!
So it was after Xmas 88.
Side note. For the Wardy WC show we used to transport whole sheets of plywood from 4 deck to boat deck on top of the lifts..to make the show stage...where theres a will theres a way!

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #70 on: Mar 13, 2012, 01:34 AM »
What was the plywood used for?

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #71 on: Mar 13, 2012, 02:34 PM »
Bob... Rod says in his post it was to make the stage for a play... ;)

Offline Rod

« Reply #72 on: Mar 13, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Every year on the WC the Officers used to put on a show for invited guests. There was singing, dancing, comedic acts even a magician one year. It was held in the Wardroom. From the second year until my final WC I produced it.
Two years we even put it on for the pax in the Double Room. Joe Loss lent us musicians for musical backing and when it was in the Double room his whole orchestra. Senior Officers were given front row seats and it was open season on them. No revenge was usually taken! Drinks were free and donations were asked for and given to the WC charity. Our best year one of the Hotel Officers from the Crew Office dressed up as a Playboy Bunnygirl (He didn't shave for the occasion either) sold ice creams during the intermission from a tray he made over $1000! That same show had several rather well off friends of the Wardroom (pax) and we made just over $22,000!
On the NA to NY before one WC I telexed my future wife in the NY office: "Please have waiting on arrival NY. 3 tubs Max Factor Ebony #3. Any stage makeup shop will have." Arrived in NY and she had 3 tubs MF Ebony #2!!!! She said ...the Black lady in the shop said that the 3 degrees were definately #2!
We were the 2 1/2 degrees. Me, Paul Jowett and Steve Konstanz. Complete with purple wigs made from mop heads and purple dresses made from sheets...and Welly boots! Rubber boots for the Americans. They were bothe well over 6foot I am 5'10"

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #73 on: Mar 14, 2012, 02:54 AM »
We did the same sort of thing on the aircraft carrier only we called it Fo'c'sle Follies.  Same principle though with the senior officers in the front row and very much fair game.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #74 on: Sep 14, 2021, 09:58 PM »
Its amazing the finds that this forum continues to bring. 

This photo is unique in that it shows an angle rarely taken in the Grill Room ('69)/Princess Grill.  To the left of the "Grill Room" sign is the entry into the C Stairway elevator which went up to Q Deck while the main C Stairway stopped at 1 Deck just outside of the Grill Room Lounge/Champagne Bar.  The stairs continued up to Q Deck from the lounge via the aluminum spiral staircase.  The top of that staircase is just behind the seating/wall to the right of the gentleman with the white goatee.  The Grill Room sign is in between the stairs and elevator.

A definite source of info for when I get around to 3D modeling the Grill Room!
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2021, 10:11 PM by Bob C. »

Poll for the June Photo of Month Competition "QE2 Stairways"

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 26
Views: 1648
Last post Aug 01, 2017, 11:13 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Stairways to Heaven? QE2 Signage

Started by KEVBoard Passenger Areas

Replies: 4
Views: 2130
Last post May 01, 2009, 06:53 AM
by Bob C.
June 2017 : QE2 stairways

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 1
Views: 647
Last post Jun 12, 2017, 02:02 AM
by Bob C.
QE2 in Photos - 1969, 72, 74 (best early photos ever seen!) + stairways & lifts

Started by Bob C.Board Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 36
Views: 17457
Last post Jan 14, 2012, 10:12 PM
by Louis De Sousa