Author Topic: Crew Training  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Crew Training
« on: Jun 10, 2009, 12:11 PM »
Apart from working and giving passengers good service.The crew are also involved in ship safety training. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/11/25/nyregion/training-to-crew-on-the-qe2-it-s-not-all-sun-and-beaches.html

Offline cunardqueen

Re: Crew Training
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2009, 08:32 PM »
I guess the White Star Academy comes under this section
Was this underway when you joined?

** OLD DEAD LINK REMOVED **img504/7397/qe2rounduklend374.jpg[/img]

** OLD DEAD LINK REMOVED **img32/1628/qe2roundukcruisestart31.jpg[/img]
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2009, 11:17 AM »
I don't think the White Star Service was started when I was onboard (1984-88) though this would presumably have been for the Hotel Department only.
Members of the Engineering Dept regularly attended Lifeboat Drill and basic First Aid drills though. The first aid drill was actually put to use on one occasion I was involved in. An elderly lady passenger hurt her back in one of the restaurants (Columbia or Tables Of The World) I cannot remember which. We had to stretcher her down to the hospital on 6 deck.
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2009, 11:36 AM »
I don't think the White Star Service was started when I was onboard (1984-88) though this would presumably have been for the Hotel Department only.

It must have started after i left in 1998.

The first aid drill was actually put to use on one occasion I was involved in. An elderly lady passenger hurt her back in one of the restaurants (Columbia or Tables Of The World) I cannot remember which. We had to stretcher her down to the hospital on 6 deck.

For the weekly Boat Drills you have 2 kinds of groups you have Crew with white and other with red Muster Cards.
The Crew with red cards are called Special Parties Muster.For above aid the Special Party would be called they are called the Stretcher Party and the Hospital Party both Parties have about 15 Persons.

When a tannoy is made calling Special Parties the following codes are used ( at least it was until i left the ship )

For fire it is called Phoenix
For flooding Niagara
and for First Aid its called Starlight

Louis

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2009, 12:49 PM »

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2009, 09:28 PM »
Great insights into the crews world louis, I'd heard about the niagara call from the I'll-fated refit when all the plumbing wasn't sorted before the trans Atlantic crossing

jdl 

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2009, 10:56 PM »
I'd heard about the niagara call from the I'll-fated refit when all the plumbing wasn't sorted before the trans Atlantic crossing

jdl 
Hi jdl
  l was on for this historic crossing and remember seeing the dripping water going into the childrens play area among many other sections and the constant Niagra Niagra and location of burst pipes. My cabin on 4 deck had no cold water for a few days, l had to shave using bottled water. It was no big deal to me, sadly others onboard followed the compensation culture :(
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2011, 09:48 PM »
Before I joined I spent a week at firefighting school, had to pass to graduate college, lifeboat school 1 week had to pass.
But the best training I ever recieved, courtesy of Cunard was Beer Training School. Yes Cunard sent me to school for 2 days to learn how to look after their beer!

Offline Lewis Stone

« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2013, 06:57 PM »
In 1978 I did a QE2 safety course and got a certificate, did anyone else on the forum get one.

Offline Rod

« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Never even heard of those and I was on board at that time!

Offline Lewis Stone

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2013, 12:30 PM »
Hi Rod
I think the courses were for waiters, Prs and Brs, I don't remember other departments taking part but I could be wrong, they were voluntary and taken in small groups, about 10 to 12 at a time, I remember have to do boat drill in Papua New Guinea, all I wanted to do was go ashore.
Hope this helps.
Regards Lew

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2013, 11:44 PM »
I think the courses were for waiters, Prs and Brs, I don't remember other departments taking part but I could be wrong, they were voluntary and taken in small groups, about 10 to 12 at a time, I remember have to do boat drill in Papua New Guinea, all I wanted to do was go ashore.

Good idea to make sure that there was a broad spread of crew who knew about safety -- and possibly also a useful certificate when looking for post-QE2 jobs?

Thank you, Lew, for posting the scan of the cert!

Offline Boris

« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2015, 04:08 PM »
In 1978 I did a QE2 safety course and got a certificate, did anyone else on the forum get one.
Like Rod, I never heard of such a thing, and I was in the Hotel Department so would most likely have known if wingers or stewards were undergoing such training. Nevertheless Lewis, you are the proud owner of a certificate dated March 1978.
I transferred to the Cunard Princess in mid-1977, so, it must have been implemented shortly after my departure. Maybe you were on the inaugural course and that certificate is worth a fortune!
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2015, 04:43 PM by Boris »
__PEB__

Offline Boris

« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2015, 04:30 PM »
Before I joined I ... had to pass to graduate college, lifeboat school 1 week had to pass.
I think the Lifeboat ticket was pretty much obligatory for all in the Merch (I stand to be corrected on that: maybe only officers and deck crew?). Union Castle put me through mine in Cape Town ( before I later moved to Cunard). The ticket was examined by the RSA Board of Trade and was actually very interesting (at least in the balmy weather of Cape Town harbour - I wouldn't want to do it in freezing weather in the choppy Solent or at Warsash, wherever). As part of the ticket, you had to be able to box the compass (all thirty-two principal points). Normally this is learned, by rote, in clockwise order, but the First Officer undertaking the training, tested us prior to the exam by naming a point and you had to respond with the next 5 points in reverse order. (Thus when provided with the point WSW, you responded with: SW by W, SW, SW by S, SSW, South by W). My, but you needed a clear head, or risk failing - and shamed in front of all your ship mates.

What amazes me is that I can still do it (albeit haltingly). Wonderful thing memory (though I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning  :) )
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2016, 12:28 PM by Boris »
__PEB__

Offline Rod

« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Our lifeboat course WAS done in the choppy Solent. Man overboard drill while rowing a boat was not fun.
Still remember the Instructor bitching about the fact that someone had stolen the Omnopom from the first aid kit....again!

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2015, 03:08 PM »

I found out last week that Lewis has passed away. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Boris

« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2015, 04:04 PM »
I found out last week that Lewis has passed away. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP.
I'm so sorry to hear that sad news Alan. May he RIP.

Offline Kevin Jackson

« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2017, 06:35 PM »
Hi Davina

Its Kevin Jackson pleased to be able to add to your discussion regarding crew training aboard QE2.

I actually started as a Student Cook and was trained through out my time spent on the QE2 from July 26th 1984 to April 5th 1987.

There was  a survival course and safety training as well as college course done when I went home on leave.

It was a 3 month on and a paid months leave when I worked aboard QE2.

Can not speak for the early years or later years of the QE2 time at sea.

It was all very enjoyable and I worked with the best work mates ever, all sadly missed.

Regards to you,

Kevin.

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2017, 12:13 PM »
I was a Cunard Security Officer from 1996  to 2010 and served on from 2000 to 2005. One of our other duties apart from Security was Safety Training which we shared with both Ch Officer and Training Officer.

As such i expect i have 'lectured' a fair number of crew members from those periods.

Having retired from the sea in 2013, my wife and i 'discovered' River Cruises. We enjoy them because the number of passenger is small, only around 160, and we visit places i never visited while on Ocean cruising.
On our first river cruise in 2014, i was walking through the main lobby and was greeted by the Food & Beverage Manager, who informed me that he felt he knew me from somewhere. Not having travelled on a river cruise before i said i felt he  might be mistaking me for someone else. He was insistent and after a bit of discussion he realised that i had taken him for his Induction Training when he was a trainee waiter on QE2 during my time as Ch Sec Off.

From my initial time with  Cunard  in 1996 through to my leaving to join Seabourn in 2010 Induction Training was compulsory for ALL ranks joining Cunard or moving between different ships, differing in length depending on which category you fell into.

Initially, certainly up until around 2000, you received a booklet with carboned pages which the Training Officer completed and sent off to Cunard shoreside for central records to be kept for Safety Audit purposes, the crew member retaining the booklet with original signed page in.

Over time, and with more and more pressure on crew's working hours, together with a greater shortage of 'spare time', more and more aspects of Safety Training were 'modified' and/or reduced! This resulted in a constant battle between The Deck Dept, [the Training providers] and The Hotel Dept [ the Trainees Dept]  to get crew released to attend Safety Training.

What the routine if in 2017 i do not know but would be surprised if it was any better!