Author Topic: Shoreside Crewbars  (Read 8380 times)

Offline down under Charles

Re: Shoreside Crewbars
« Reply #20 on: Aug 31, 2015, 06:23 AM »
REMEMBER THE HOG PENNY PUB IN DOWNTOWN HAMILTON BERMUDA IT WAS A GREAT PLACE FOR AN AFTERNOON DRINK AS MANY OF THE SHIPS BIG OR SMALL HARDLY EVER STAYED LONG ENOUGH TO GO THERE AFTER DINNER.
THERE WAS AN OLD GIRL PLAYING THE PIANO WITH THE USUAL SING ALONG AND THE ATMOSPHERE WAS JUST FANTASTIC,THE BEAUTY OF THIS PUB WAS THAT IT WAS ALMOST DIRECTLY ACROSS THE CREW GANGWAY NOT EVEN 3 MIN WALK,YES I HAVE HAD A FEW TO MANY THERE BUT HOW CAN YOU FORGET SUCH A PLACE

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2015, 03:27 PM »
... THE HOG PENNY PUB IN DOWNTOWN HAMILTON BERMUDA ... WAS A GREAT PLACE FOR AN AFTERNOON DRINK ...
Charles, just for you, here's a photo of The Hog Penny taken yesterday afternoon.  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2015, 05:06 PM by Boris »

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2015, 03:31 PM »
And here's a copy of a Hog Penny beer mat which you can print off and with a bit of deft scissor work you can rest your Dark'n'Stormy on it so it feels at home.
(Dark'n'Stormy: Goslings Black Seal Rum and ginger beer, over ice)

Offline Rod

« Reply #23 on: Sep 17, 2015, 06:59 PM »
I was on RMS Franconia for its last 3 months on the Bermuda run. We would arrive Monday morning and depart Thursday at 1600,

The final Wednesday there was a big party at the Hog Penny......free drinks for ALL crew. I turned around and there was this Engineer that was meant to be on watch!!!!!!!!!! I asked him what was going on...he said he had a fireman and a bilge diver it was cool, then he took me out side....
There was a light on the funnel that was going up and down! He had rigged a light to the boiler feed pump, an up and down pump that supplied water to the boilers. A rope from the engine room all the way up the funnel and over the side of the funnel. If the light stopped moving???? He ran!

Offline Chris Shaftoe

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 04:57 PM »
In Southampton, the Cunard pub was the Denmark Arms, run by a wonderful lady who always reminded me of Annie Walker of the Rover's Return. We would drink there most lunchtimes. The first time I went there, it was with a few AMs and Mechs. 'Annie' looked at me - a boy rating hardly old enough to shave - and was about to kick me out when she was told I was on QE2 at which point I was handed my first pint for free.

The beer there was always excellent and the place was covered in Cunard memorabilia, postcards, hat ribbons and paper currency from all over the world.

Offline PRS 86

Anchor Bar and surrounding blocks
« Reply #25 on: Apr 27, 2017, 08:33 PM »
Hi all , was in NYC last week and took Family down to W49th &12th, I obviously didn't recognise the area apart from the Intrepid (I left the  QE2 Oct 86 just before Bremerhaven re-fit) it's certainly been redeveloped.It's all car showrooms,carwashes and even stables looking after the Central Park horses (Carriage rides).Just wondered if anyone had any photo's of the old Anchor/Olympic Bar and the surrounding shops in the block that sold every thing that you might have forgotten ,remember it selling lighters, shaving foam,boxer shorts/tee shirts (Hanes) deoderant etc.Thanks in advance.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #26 on: Apr 28, 2017, 07:58 AM »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your story.

I have merged your topic with the Shoreside Crowbars topic as there is some discussion on the Anchor Bar in that topic. 
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1224.msg13180.html#msg13180

Looking forward to reading more of your QE2 memories. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #27 on: Apr 28, 2017, 02:39 PM »
Welcome to The Forum, PRS 86, and I am looking forward to hearing more of your stories and memories.   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline John D Hobley FinstR

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2018, 02:16 PM »
Hi All.
On this post of pubs and bars I dont see mention of the Parkers pub in Southampton circ 1970/71/72. ( not called that now )
But it was run by a family and mostly if my memory serves me right by the mother and daughter. Forgive me I cant remember names but it was certainly one of the few pubs we featured in around 1970/1971. I also remember one of my deck crew frineds ( I was engine room) went out with the daughter for a while.. It wasnt far from Oxford street and sat in a corner. Although for me not too much drinking ashore as much of the time in Southampton in those days my time spent showing family and visitors around on crew passes we could get then in those days as so they came in droves to see the ship.  So for me it was NY that much of bars ashore were visited.. Oh and anywhere we could in the Caribean...! Happy days..! Although as it docked in a Tuesday and left Friday in those days we did venture at night to the Top Rank on Thursdays and the Pier on Wednesdays.. Again hapoy days..! Lol.