Author Topic: Watertight doors  (Read 8563 times)

Offline Rod

Re: Watertight doors
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 12:44 PM »
They all headed up to 4 deck.

Offline David Hanlon

• QE2 Crew member
  • Pavillion Snacker
  • Just a old motorman
Re: watertight doors
« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2017, 09:16 AM »
During foggy conditions, certain WT doors were closed under bridge power. You could open them locally, but as soon as you released the handle they would close.
I was on watch in the boiler room and the bilge diver came through and let go the handle....door had just started to squeeze him as I got to him...bruised ribs and mentally screwed up!

He was flown home...the door would have cut him in 2!
I was on that trip. His name was Mark fron Cardiff I think surname escapes me. I sailed with him on the pride of Suffolk again in July 1997.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #22 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:42 PM »
During foggy conditions, certain WT doors were closed under bridge power. You could open them locally, but as soon as you released the handle they would close.
I was on watch in the boiler room and the bilge diver came through and let go the handle....door had just started to squeeze him as I got to him...bruised ribs and mentally screwed up!

He was flown home...the door would have cut him in 2!

Sadly this is not the first, or last' report of WTD causing severe injury to crew members on any ship.

There was the case of an engineer being killed when he was trapped in a closing WTD, i can't remember which line, but think it was NCL for some reason.

A friend who was SSO on an RCCL ship had to deal with a female utility who tried to recover her bucket from the other side of a WTD when it started to close  on her! The Ship's Dr had to amputate her arm, in situ, as it was so mangled.

I made NO EXCUSES for referring to either of these incidents when doing instruction on 'Opening and closing WTDs' as part of Induction Training. I also used to collect a bone from the Butcher onboard, when we had them, and close the WTD on it - the sound is not something you will EVER forget!! However the 'PC Brigade' ashore felt it 'inappropriate' so we had to cease, but still used a piece of wood, almost the same noises!

On QE2 there were WTDs on 5 Deck - a passenger area - which is a bit of a rarity these days.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #23 on: Jul 12, 2017, 12:37 AM »

On QE2 there were WTDs on 5 Deck - a passenger area - which is a bit of a rarity these days.

I remember the announcements of closing WTD's on our crossings in 1969, 1972, 1974, 1977 and 1979.  In the later years when I was old enough to go off on my own, I loved running down to 5 deck to watch the doors close and open - remaining at a safe distance of course.  Mostly because I did not want to get yelled out by the crew member guarding the door.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #24 on: Jul 12, 2017, 01:48 AM »
I remember the announcements of closing WTD's on our crossings in 1969, 1972, 1974, 1977 and 1979.  In the later years when I was old enough to go off on my own, I loved running down to 5 deck to watch the doors close and open - remaining at a safe distance of course.  Mostly because I did not want to get yelled out by the crew member guarding the door.

Bob, could it have happened that you got enclosed in the space between two doors? Or was there always a stairway accessible, which you could use to get away?

Offline Rod

« Reply #25 on: Jul 12, 2017, 12:37 PM »
No there were stairs up from every watertight compartment.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #26 on: Jul 28, 2017, 11:49 AM »
Bob, could it have happened that you got enclosed in the space between two doors? Or was there always a stairway accessible, which you could use to get away?

Rod is correct.  I Studied the passenger deck plans a few years ago looking for this answer and found a way up from each compartment.

Offline Germanicus

« Reply #27 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:45 PM »
Hello everyone, my first post.

In September 1982 I joined the ship as a working passenger, YoungAusten&Young were brought in to sail with the ship and update the cabin and staterooms air conditioning, I can still remember watching a member of the crew cautioning passengers and stopping people passing through the watertight doors when it was drill time.
An Englishman never insults unintentionally

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #28 on: Apr 16, 2018, 10:08 PM »

In September 1982 I joined the ship as a working passenger, YoungAusten&Young were brought in to sail with the ship and update the cabin and staterooms air conditioning, I can still remember watching a member of the crew cautioning passengers and stopping people passing through the watertight doors when it was drill time.

Welcome to the forum! (Didn't realise this was your first post before editing my post just now  ::) )

Me and my parents got tripped up a couple of times by the metal flap that popped up first when the watertight doors started closing on Five Deck (where most of our cabins were) as the warning was a few minutes before and crew members were rarely nearby probably due to the regularity of the testing outside of lifeboat drills and being under complete control from the bridge in her latter seagoing years (2003 to 2008). The tripping up was strangely amusing at the time and is looking back but could've had serious consequences if not careful from reading above!
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 04:08 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #29 on: Apr 17, 2018, 01:10 PM »

Good to see that you are finding your way around the forum and have started to post on topics.  Looking forward to hearing more about your memories of working on QE2
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com