Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Victoria Norway Iceland Faroe Isles Orkney  (Read 12710 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Queen Victoria Norway Iceland Faroe Isles Orkney
« Reply #20 on: Jul 13, 2014, 11:25 AM »
Comfortable seating beside the Pursers Office, often used by passengers when reading or relaxing or when listening to the pianist or harpist. 
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2014, 11:37 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #21 on: Jul 13, 2014, 11:26 AM »
Entrance to computer suite and Connexions on deck 1 of Grand Lobby
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #22 on: Jul 13, 2014, 11:28 AM »
Card Room: I am not sure of the history of having Bridge Classes onboard cruise ships, but I know that this is always a very popular activity onboard the Cunard ships.  The Card Room on Queen Victoria is situated on deck 3 of the Grand Lobby and is a lovely venue. Passengers were playing bridge at the time I took this photo, so I did not go into the room, but you can get an idea of the standard of décor of the venue.  I love the design on the floor at the entrance to this room.
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #23 on: Jul 13, 2014, 11:42 AM »
The Alcove I took this picture especially for the jigsaw lovers amongst us. The jigsaw tables in the Alcove on deck 3, between the Card Room and the Library is a pleasant area to spend a little time on the puzzles. 
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #24 on: Jul 13, 2014, 11:51 AM »
The Library one of my favourite areas onboard the ship along with the Book Shop.  As you can guess, I like books.  The Library, which is on two levels has a lovely ambience and you cannot help but like the design and decor.   

I hope you enjoyed this little walk around the ship where some of the daytime activities take place.  Onboard there is also the spa area and deck activities as mentioned previously and activities such as Watercolour painting classes.  Tomorrow I will start posting about the ports we called at during the cruise. 

www.qe2event.com

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #25 on: Jul 13, 2014, 12:00 PM »
Beautiful pictures!  :)

Thanks for this nice walk around, Lynda. Really enjoyed it.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #26 on: Jul 13, 2014, 01:09 PM »
Thanks for that tour Lynda and welcome back.

It is interesting to see some of the finer details that you discovered which I hadn't noticed on our brief visit to Queen Victoria in Liverpool. It would be great to have more time to explore the ship.

Looking forward to seeing more of your photos from the trip.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #27 on: Jul 14, 2014, 09:28 AM »
Thanks for your lovely comments.

Today we continue our cruise with a day in Olden, Norway, a little village with a population of around 507 people and a popular cruise ship destination. 

We docked in Olden for over an hour then the ship moved to anchor and a tender service was provided for the duration of our stay.  This option at least allowed people who were not so mobile to get off the ship for a short period of time and also allowed passengers who were taking tours to get a quick get away.  The ships looked lovely anchored offshore and in port so I took the opportunity to take some photos.  Olden is a popular port of call for cruise ships, not only because of the beauty of this little village that nestles in a beautiful valley beneath magnificent mountains, but also because of tour opportunities to take a tour to Glaciers such as Briksdal and Kjenndalen.  I think because we had hada couple of days at sea we did not want to take a tour and were happy to spend time in Olden, especially as we like to walk through the village and walk up the valley (just like back home in Scotland).  As you pass the houses you notice beautiful displays of flowers and in the by the roadside and in the fields there are lots of wild flowers. 

Some photos of Olden
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2014, 09:46 AM by Lynda Bradford »
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #28 on: Jul 14, 2014, 09:35 AM »
Photos of Olden Church and colourful blossom on the tree
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2014, 09:36 AM by Lynda Bradford »
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #29 on: Jul 14, 2014, 09:42 AM »
Some lovely views
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #30 on: Jul 14, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Queen Victoria at anchor
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #31 on: Jul 14, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Thank you very much, Lynda, for the wonderful pictures and marvelous commentary.  The walk-about the ship was really nice with the chance to see parts in detail, and the photos of the countryside are spectacular.  Yes, QV does indeed look good at anchor.  June   :) 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #32 on: Jul 15, 2014, 10:10 AM »
As we continue with our cruise onboard Queen Victoria, the next port of call is Alesund in Norway. 
We have visited Alesund a few times before but we never tire of this lovely little town.  In 1904 a fire practically destroyed the town, killing one person and leaving the majority of the population without shelter.  Kaiser Wilheim II of German, who had been a regular visitor to Alesund sent ships with materials for temporary shelter and his support was so appreciated by the town that a street has been named after him.  The town was rebuilt between 1904 and 1907 in the Art Noveau architectural style and you can find out more at the Art Noveau Centre (1907 building) plus the Alesund Museum, which had a good exhibition about the fire and the rebuilding of the town.

The town is built on seven islands and ship information from the Navigator informed passengers that the ship was berthed on two of the island, the bow on Norvoya and the stern on Aspoya, but I would never have know if I had not been told.    The best way to experience a wonderful panorama of the town is to climb the 418 steps from the town park to the top of Mount Aksla.  Fortunately for those not so mobile there is the option to travel to the top of the hill in a little tourist train or by car/bus. 
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2014, 10:18 AM by Lynda Bradford »
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #33 on: Jul 15, 2014, 10:17 AM »
The last time we visited Alesund we took a local bus to visit the Sunnmore open air museum with old houses, school house and boats, gave an insight into the cultural and architectural history of the area.  We did not visit on this occasion but if you are visiting Alesund it is worth the bus journey to explore this museum. 

I have always enjoyed the sail away from Alesund and this time was no exception.  I liked this old fire tender that accompanies the ship for the sail away. 

www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #34 on: Jul 15, 2014, 02:09 PM »
Thank you very much, Lynda, for more pictures and commentary on your cruise and visit to Alesund.  Marvelous pictures, and yes, the fireboat is great !

On board QV, did you notice many pictures of QE2 or items from QE2 ?  And did you have the opportunity to see many QE2 staff and speak with them ?

Thanks again !

June   :)

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #35 on: Jul 15, 2014, 03:06 PM »
Yes there are QE2 items onboard Queen Victoria.  There is an area on deck 2 with display units with Cunard and QE2 memorabilia.  The Laconia cup, is in a display unit in this area, personally, I would like to see this in a more prominent position (maybe in the grand lobby). There is a picture and model of QE2 in the Commodore Club (there is a photo of this in the get together album in the gallery).  Around the ship are models of ships and on the stairwell are some lovely ship paintings. 

There are quite a lot of ex QE2 crew in the restaurants, which I always think contributes to the high standard of service given to passengers.  Many of the restaurant managers are ex QE2, who I remember when they were junior staff (makes me feel old).  What is really nice is how they remember us when we go onboard and we always get a warm welcome.

One of our waiters on this cruise Mahen was ex QE2 and he was very pleased to hear about my connection with the ship.  Head waiter Pavel was also ex QE2. 

Here are a couple of photos of me Mahen and his assistant Renato.  Plus a photo of me and Pavel. 
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #36 on: Jul 15, 2014, 06:27 PM »
Hi Lynda -

Thank you very much for your post and information.  I am so pleased to hear that our beloved QE2 is represented on QV, and yes, I do remember seeing the picture from the get together in the Commodore Club.  So good to hear that there are quite a lot of QE2 crew on board QV.  I am very sure that does contribute to the high standard of service.  That is really nice seeing them, having remembered them from QE2.  The pictures are wonderful !!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #37 on: Jul 16, 2014, 03:53 PM »
Akureyri, known as the capital of the North is the second largest urban area in Iceland with a population of around 17,754.  Akureyri has one of the warmest climates in Iceland even though it is only 62 miles from the Arctic Circle.  We had booked the “Jewels of the North” tour and I was so glad that we did as I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of this interesting tour and the temperature was warmer than expected between 12 and 18 degrees centigrade. 

Lake Myvatn: coming from Scotland and doing our best to avoid the West Coast of Scotland during the midge season, you can imagine our horror when we got on the tour bus to be told that Lake Myvtn was home to two kinds of midges, the kind that like to bite humans, especially those from Scotland and the kind that don’t.  But fortunately there was a bit of a breeze on the day we visited and we managed to avoid being bitten. 

Skutustadir unique craters.  This was out first stop and it was lovely to walk around this area, but I have to admit that my photos do not do these unique craters justice, so I have copied a link to google photos and a 360 degree view for you to enjoy.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=skutustadir+craters+iceland&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wdPCU_KZGvTy7Aa414GwAw&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1268&bih=547

360 view
http://www.icelandvirtualtour.com/myvatn-skutustadir-pseudocraters.html

I will post more about the tour from Akureyri later  ...
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #38 on: Jul 16, 2014, 06:51 PM »
Hi Lynda -

Thank you very much for your continuing commentary and links.  It is very informative and interesting and very much appreciated.

Looking forward to the next installment !

Does QV give tours to various parts of the ship that are not normally open to passengers ?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #39 on: Jul 17, 2014, 04:28 PM »
Thanks for the questions June, about access to parts of the ship not open to passengers.  On the last day at sea there is usually the opportunity to see around the galley, which is very interesting and does not cost anything.  You can take a tour around parts of the ship not normally open to passengers as has been discussed elsewhere on the forum.  If I remember correctly the numbers are limited and the cost is about $120 pp but I would need to double check what the cost is.  People who have done this tour have been very impressed.  When we sailed back into Southampton in June 2012 to take part in the Jubilee celebrations passengers had access to forward decks, normally only accessed by crew, and I believe this happens from time to time for special occasions. 

Here is some more information and photos about the Jewels of the North tour:

Namaskard with hot springs, sulphur wells, and bubbling mudspots was an area we were looking forward to visiting, however the evening before the tour, we received a note from the tour office, to say that this had been cancelled.  Apparently there was an ongoing discussion between the Iceland tourist board and the landowner, who wanted to charge an entrance fee.  An agreement had been reached that no admission fee would be charged in 2014 but the landowner had gone ahead with charging visitors, so the tourist board asked tour operators not pay for cruise tourist.  The result was that the bus drove around the car park so that we could photos from the bus but we were not allowed off the bus, even to take photos from the car park. 

Dimmuborgir a 2000 year old field of volcanic pillars some as high as 65 feet.  Visitors can follow the pathways to view and explore

www.qe2event.com