Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Victoria Norway Iceland Faroe Isles Orkney  (Read 12713 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Queen Victoria Norway Iceland Faroe Isles Orkney
« on: Jun 23, 2014, 10:53 AM »
We are onboard a Queen Victoria sailing to Norway where we visit Olden on Wednesday 25 June.

Good to be back onboard Queen Victoria where we always get a warm welcome.

A passenger was transferred to a RNLI vessel this morning off the East coast of England because of a medical emergency. Hope the person is okay.

As you know internet access is not always good onboard ship but I will try to keep you updated on this interesting cruise.

Lynda
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

Re: Queen Victoria Norway Iceland Faroe Isles Orkney
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2014, 02:14 PM »
We are onboard a Queen Victoria sailing to Norway where we visit Olden on Wednesday 25 June.

Good to be back onboard Queen Victoria where we always get a warm welcome.

A passenger was transferred to a RNLI vessel this morning off the East coast of England because of a medical emergency. Hope the person is okay.

As you know internet access is not always good onboard ship but I will try to keep you updated on this interesting cruise.

Lynda

Sounds lovely, Lynda....have a wonderful holiday; hoping you'll have fine weather to enjoy the sun at midnight!! Only sadness perhaps is that
Captain Inger won't be there to enjoy her family...unless she is still on leave.. She was due to join QE quite soon....
Bon Voyage, and when you get the chance, please give our very best to Neil (deputy Entertainments /Cruise Director)
And all QE2-ers!
Rosie
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2014, 03:05 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Yesterday we were in Olden,Norway a little town that nestles in a valley beneath magnificent mountains.  The fjord is a 65 mile long inlet cut deep into the coastline and the sail in and out morning and evening is a wonderful experience.  We have had good weather so far so hope this continued.

Today we are in Alesund, noted for it's Art Nouveau architecture.  Later this morning we will be walking up the 418 steps to the Fjellstua viewpoint (mount Aksla).  This walk is helped by the fact there are seats strategically placed to rest weary legs. We are at sea sailing to Iceland tomorrow were we have some interesting trips planned.  Will post photos when I get home.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2014, 06:11 PM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2014, 02:09 PM »
Hi Lynda - Thank you very much for your marvelous posts.  Have a wonderful time, and we look very much forward to more posts when you can and many pictures when you return.  Please take note of items from QE2 or pertaining to our beloved QE2 on board (pictures, perhaps ?) that we might not have been aware of before.  Enjoy !  June  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Yesterday we were in Olden,Norway a little town that nestles in a valley beneath magnificent mountains.  The fjord is a 65 mile long inlet cut deep into the coastline and the sail in and out morning and evening is a wonderful experience.  We have had good weather so far so hope this continued.

Today we are in Alesund, noted for it's Art Deco architecture.  Later this morning we will be walking up the 418 steps to the Fjellstua viewpoint (mount Aksla).  This walk is helped by the fact there are seats strategically placed to rest weary legs. We are at sea sailing to Iceland tomorrow were we have some interesting trips planned.  Will post photos when I get home.

Hi Lynda

Very many thanks for this - We love Alesund, and the water bottled in Olden, too!
When you have easier access to the internet - this link might be of interest
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,614.msg6680.html#msg6680
Enjoy Iceland!
Rosie

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Thanks Rosie and June

Lots of photos and more information when I return home.

For those who have not sailed on Queen Victoria here are a few facts:
Gross tonnage: 90,000
Length: 964.5 feet
Width: 106 feet.
Passenger capacity: 1988
Crew: 981

Captain announced that on this trip we had passengers from 32 nationalities. But crew are from 45 nationalities

Entertainment has been excellent especially the speakers.
www.qe2event.com

Online Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2014, 12:59 PM »
For those who have not sailed on Queen Victoria here are a few facts:

Gross tonnage: 90,000
Length: 964.5 feet
Width: 106 feet.
Passenger capacity: 1988
Crew: 981

Add to that "and the Commodore Club is the best space on the ship!!"

Gav

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2014, 11:25 AM »
Add to that "and the Commodore Club is the best space on the ship!!"

Gav

My favourite place as well Gav!

We are at sea today after 3 wonderful days in Iceland where we enjoyed the tours.  Weather was good for two of the three days but we had rain yesterday which was unfortunate.

We have slightly rough seas today as we sail to the Faroe Isles but Queen Victoria copes well!
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2014, 02:14 PM »
We have just recently passed over the North Atlantic ridge separating the North American and Eurasian plates.  The Captain announced that there are high winds forecast for tomorrow that may affect the planned tender trip from the ship to Torshavn.  Hope not!

We are currently enjoying listening to the Caribbean band Vbiz playing in the Garden Room - this is the life!

I hope to take some photos of around the ship later.
www.qe2event.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2014, 02:26 PM »
Great to read your updates, Lynda, and to imagine ourselves there (on QE2 perhaps...).

Looking forward to the pictures too!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2014, 03:00 PM »
We have just recently passed over the North Atlantic ridge separating the North American and Eurasian plates.  The Captain announced that there are high winds forecast for tomorrow that may affect the planned tender trip from the ship to Torshavn.  Hope not!

We are currently enjoying listening to the Caribbean band Vbiz playing in the Garden Room - this is the life!

I hope to take some photos of around the ship later.

Hi Lynda
Great to hear from you - hoping that you'll be enjoying the high seas!
(In Jan's total-Atlantic Big Storm, the decks were closed for at least ten consecutive days, and very much hoping this won't be the case for you...cabin fever was bad!)
You mention the "Garden Room' - has it changed it's name?
Also - is the band called Synergy still on board?
Safe way home.
Rosie

Online Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2014, 08:15 AM »
QV's sea keeping isnt bad at all - she could just do with a wee bit more speed. Not on the level of QM2 but then you dont expect that!!

I seem to recall Vibz playing on QM2 the last time we were on her - I suppose all the bands will rotate around the fleet or indeed other cruise lines!

Hope rest of your cruise goes well!!

8)

Gav

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2014, 08:34 AM »
The Captain announced that there are high winds forecast for tomorrow that may affect the planned tender trip from the ship to Torshavn.  Hope not!

Hi Lynda - Very much hope that QV and her tenders do manage to get you to the Faroe Islands; just heard from a friend on board MV Discovery that they have needed to change course - eventually they'll be calling at Stornaway instead.
Safe journey!
R.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #13 on: Jul 02, 2014, 05:57 PM »
Unfortunately the call at Torshavn in the Faroe Isles was cancelled this morning. The captain announced that there were winds of between 50 and 60 miles per hour and it would not have been safe to proceed into port. Day at sea was very nice but Sorry we missed visiting Torshavn.  Hope the next Port of call, Kirkwall is not affected by weather.
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #14 on: Jul 02, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Thank you very much, Lynda, for your updates and look forward to reading more and seeing pictures when you return.  Enjoy !  June  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #15 on: Jul 13, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Geysers and Glaciers Cruise 22 June to 6 July 2014
We returned home on Sunday 6 July having thoroughly enjoyed the “Geysers and Glaciers” cruise travelling 3682 nautical miles, onboard Queen Victoria with Captain Peter Philpott in charge for this voyage. The ship’s average speed ranged from 11.8 knots to 18.2 knots.

As high winds resulted in the call at Torshavn being cancelled, we had seven days at sea and called at six ports, Olden and  Alesund in Norway, then Akureyri, Isafjordur, and Reykjavik, Iceland, followed by Kirkwall in Orkney, Scotland. 

Days at sea give you a good opportunity to make use of the facilities and activities onboard the ship.

On Queen Victoria there are areas for deck games such as paddle tennis, deck quoits and golf chipping, which are all popular, especially when the activities staff run competitions.  However, many passengers just like to be relaxing up on deck or swimming in the pool, weather permitting or gazing out to sea or even watching ice carving (see photo)

There is a range of activities to keep passengers occupied both during the day and into the evening, so lets take a walk around the ship and experience our day at sea
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #16 on: Jul 13, 2014, 10:41 AM »
The Royal Court Theatre is a lovely venue that spans a height from deck 1 to deck 3.  The theatre is used during the day for lectures, port presentations, or films and is a popular venue for the evening entertainment.  On Formal nights the Cunard Singers and Dancers feature in shows such as a Stroke of Genius, or Dance Passion, with the backing of the Royal Court Theatre Orchestra.  On Informal nights there are a range of acts onboard for one or two shows of the voyage.  My favourite for this voyage was Tom O’Connor, a comedian and TV star. He may be getting on in years but could still make the audience laugh for the best part of 40 minutes.  A group that was also popular with the passengers was the Flyrights, who with their soul, swing and Motown performance, had the audience on their feet dancing.

I hope Alan does not mind me linking to his wonderful photo of the Royal Court Theatre that he took onboard the ship in Liverpool as the theatre was full when I toured the ship to take photos and I could not get a good picture

There were three lecturers onboard for this trip. One who was particularly good was Medical Scientist and Historian, Dr. Andy Adams whose lectures were informative and amusing.  The other two lecturers, Digby Jones, ex CBI, and Derek Tedder TV Presenter were popular with many passengers but they did not impress me, but that is the benefit of having more than one lecturer so you have a choice. 

There is usually a film shown in the theatre in the afternoon and on this trip the films included; Gravity (2013); The Monuments Men (2014); Dallas Buyers Club (2013) Philomena (2013); August: Osage County (2013); Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (2014); Beyond the Edge (2013); 12 Years a Slave (2013); Saving Mr. Banks ( 2013); The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014). As you can see they are many recently released films, so it can be a good opportunity to catch up on film(s) you have wanted to see, although this is more the case on sea days.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2014, 11:36 AM by Lynda Bradford »
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #17 on: Jul 13, 2014, 11:08 AM »
The Queens Room Ballroom is used on sea days for activities, such as foil fencing, line dancing, and ballroom dancing classes.  The after lunch matinee classical concerts are always popular and this year the William Burrows and Neil Georgeson piano and cello duet was a favourite with me.  ….. and of course not forgetting the very delicious afternoon tea that is served in the Queens Room.  In the evening ballroom dancers enjoy having the opportunity to show their dancing skills in the Queens Room, dancing to a live band or recorded music.  This lovely venue is also used to host the Captain’s, Cunarders and Officers’ Cocktail Parties where passengers are welcomed for drinks and canapés. 

www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2014, 11:13 AM »
Queens Room again
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #19 on: Jul 13, 2014, 11:15 AM »
The Grand Lobby, on three levels is a very classy looking area of the ship and it is easy to take for granted the clever design making good use of this area, which accommodates the Pursers Office, Tours Office, Voyage Sales Office, Connexions Computer Suite, Internet Centre, Library (2 levels) Card Room, Alcove for jigsaw puzzles, Midship Bar, Verandah Restaurant, then at the top level, Café Carinthia and Champagne Bar
www.qe2event.com