Author Topic: James Wheat - Engineer, 1969 to 1986 born 1926  (Read 15702 times)

leej

James Wheat - Engineer, 1969 to 1986 born 1926
« on: Jun 17, 2014, 10:15 AM »
Hi
My name is Jonno, I am a Lincolnshire lad approaching 50 from the wrong side.
Today, I am a steelworker with a bit of a hobby in medal collecting.
I have collected Lincolnshire Regiment medals for many years, though have now found another theme.
In my youth I was a soldier with the Royal Artillery units which used Rapier missiles during the Falklands in 1982, consequently being given a SAM with rosette.
My new theme is collecting SAM's/SAM groups to lads who served in this short war. Starting with my own, I have gained a number to various ships and military units involved.
Recently, I have gained a QE2 SAM to an engineer by the name of J. Wheat. This man is sadly now deceased.
I am trying to put together a picture of this man and his life.
As a custodian of history, a lover of history in general, and having a personal link to the Falklands myself, I feel it important to remember the people who served. Whether Naval, RAF, Army in WW1, Boer War, Korea, or the latest escapades our government sees fit to involve us with.
Anyway, cheers chaps!
Jonno

Offline CAP

Re: Researching crewmen of the QE2.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2014, 03:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum Jonno,

Unfortunately, I personally can't help you with your quest but just wanted to welcome you and express my support for your research.

Continued luck with the work hopefully there will be others who can provide information on the engineer.

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Hello, I remember Jimmy Wheat very well, although Rod will be able to tell you much more about him, he was on QE2 in the days of Steam and I think he was a 2nd Engineer possibly 1st. Thoroughly nice guy with a shock of white hair and a ready smile.

Willum

Offline Rod

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2014, 10:09 PM »
Jonno, welcome to the forum!
As Willum said, the "shock of white hair" and "the ready smile".
He was a Third Engineer and held a Second Engineers steam "ticket". He had no desire to progress any further, he did not want the responsibility, and did not want to pursue a Chiefs "ticket".
He also had issues at home with the health of one of his children and wanted to stay on QE2 so he would not be too far away.
With the new regime that came with re-engining, they wanted everyone to have diesel experience and hopefully, tickets.
I believe Jim was slated to go to one of the small ships and fought it. But the bosses won. The new stress at being taken out of a lifestyle he knew took a toll on his health and I believe he retired early.
I am so sorry to hear of his passing.
Definitely one of lifes "gentlemen"!
During my time on the ship he was Turbine Control Room, them moved to Main Control Room, occasionally did the odd trip as Maintenance Engineer.
If you can find some of the old pictures of the Main Control Room...he's the one with the white hair.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2014, 10:33 PM »
Could I just say how much I appreciate this correspondence and other topics like it.

It is memories and stories like this that make the ship come alive! Passengers and enthusiasts, with very few exceptions, came and went and did not leave a permanent mark on the ship. It is the crew who made her what she was, and as the crew members find their place here in the Forum and we read about their lives and their interaction with others, we understand yet another aspect of QE2 while she was fully alive and active.

And I thank Jonno and others who ask the questions, as without their interest and enquiries the answers would never find their way here.

Isabelle (during an interval between World Cup matches!).

leej

« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2014, 11:20 PM »
Cap, Willum, Rod & Isabelle

Many thanks for the grand welcome and the spot on information that has, so far, come out.

I must say that the QE2 gave us landlubbers a buzz when we saw her in 1982 and she certainly was a morale booster for any young squaddie who wasn't too sure of what he'd let himself in for. (i.e. ME!)
My first sighting of QE2 was off West Africa (Freetown seems to ring a bell), I do believe and again not far from Ascension.

Jim Wheat's SAM came up for sale on the dreaded ebay earlier this week and not having a QE2 SAM in my collection thought I would have a punt. The QE2, had 654 awarded.
The seller of the medal was based in Wales and seemed to know that Jim had died, she will send more details with the medal.

As a collector, it is always nice to put a face to the medal and name. The research is as much fun as finding the medal. There is the feeling that when you have completed your research, you have achieved something for posterity and kept the memory of the person alive.
As my old Dad said, 'a person is never quite dead until people stop talking about them.' Dad was a Bomber crewman in WW2 so knew about loss and remembrance.

Isabelle, I could not agree more with your sentiment that 'the crew made her what she was.'
The personalities, all different, make a unit/ship/workplace/school what they are and why they are remembered so fondly.

I will post all that I find on James Wheat.
I am pleased to hear that he was a well thought of chap and as an old hand, not a grumpy old git, like me at work (Honest >:( ;D)

Cheers
Jonno

leej

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2014, 11:43 PM »
Does anyone know wher Jim Wheat came from?
J

Offline Rod

« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2014, 01:05 AM »
I want to say he lived in North Wales.....don't hold me to that though!

Offline ship pro

« Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2014, 05:27 AM »
I think Jimmy is on the end of steam photos that are on this site somewhere?

I believe he lived in Llandudno

I will try and find and post some photos

leej

« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Chaps
The seller came from Flintshire, Wales though seems to think there maybe a link to Runcorn in Cheshire.
There was a James Wheat born in 1926 mothers maiden name Schofield.
There are a couple of 1935 births in Stoke on Trent, too.

Discharge Book No.R404526 issued 10/01/1983 Eng Officer 1969-1986 QE2.

He appears on the Ships Engineering Department list under 1st Engineer JF Chillingworth as an Engineering Officer. This aseems to be a list of men  who sailed under steam 20/10/86 to 25/10/86 New York to Southampton.

Jonno

Offline Rod

« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2014, 09:46 PM »
I believe Jim joined the QE2 at Clydebank.
I believe he also served on "The Old Queens"
Apart from that, but will see what I can find out.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2014, 09:59 PM »
Hello Jonno, welcome to the forum and thank-you for starting this very interesting discussion. Looking forward to hearing more.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

leej

« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2014, 10:43 PM »
Hi Lynda
Yes, it is a fascinating subject.
As a collector of SAMs I have found it quite difficult to find information on the people who were awarded the medal. The comparatively recent nature of the Falklands war means that it doesn't lend itself to in depth research. Most of the information is still held by 'the powers that be' and are unlikely to release details until a number of years have passed. Due to the sensitivity of information. Afterall, we have only just had the release of WW1 military records and census are only released for publication 100 years after there compilation.
That is why forum like this are important to enthusiasts who wish to learn more.
For me, a medal is a part of a story, the life of the person, unit or ship. Medals lie untouched for years in drawers and attics, it is only when someone looks at them and questions the reason for them being there, they are remembered.

I am hoping to be able to put Jim Wheat's life together on paper for the future, for posterity. As I have done with so much of my collection.
Navigating through the forum here, I can see some very interesting threads, photos and details. Just the sort of thing to keep me occupied.
The Mrs will be pleased 8)

Jonno

Jonno

leej

« Reply #13 on: Jun 18, 2014, 11:51 PM »
Just having a look at Ancestry......could Jim have been born in 1922?
That would make him 60 in 1982 and would tie in with his semi-early retirement in 1983 or is it 86.
His Discharge Book issued 10/01/1983, though he was with QE2 1969 to 1986........ How does that work?
Did he work as a civilian after discharge in 1983?

There is a birth for a James Wheat in Birkenhead in 1922.

Jonno

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2014, 09:50 AM »
Sounds about right,  and discharge books were renewed as required. I'm sure you're right about N.Wales as Ch.R/O Phil Marriott lived there and they would share lifts if the leave rota worked out that way.
Willum

leej

« Reply #15 on: Jun 19, 2014, 11:09 AM »
Nice one, Willum :)

Is Phil Marriott still around or on the QE2 Story?

He was quite an old chap, then?
I wonder if he had any WW2 service, 1922 would easily make him eligible. Even 1926 would make him of service age for WW2.
One of my other SAM holders was from MV Norland and was described as a manager (in charge of canteens) born Grimsby (just up the road from me), 1926. Served on Atlantic convoys throughout the war.

Thanks for that, Willum!

Jonno

leej

« Reply #16 on: Jun 19, 2014, 11:44 AM »
Just had a trip around the various forum I frequent and one of the chaps on the BMF (British Medal Forum and a SAM holder) came up with this gem of information on Jim Wheat.
It sounds like Jim wasn't without a nice family friends and of course his dog Dylan at the end of his life :)

WHEAT JAMES,
October 8, 2013. Born March 30, 1926. Jim passed into spirit at Holywell Community Hospital aged 87 Thelma,
Lizzie and Katy Jakes sadly announce the passing of Jim, a loving father and adored Grandad. His passing leaves
the world a darker place.
Jim will be missed by so many of our community for his gentle good manners and ready smile.
His loss will also be felt amongst the dog-walking fraternity where, along with his little pal Dylan,
his charm and charisma were renowned. Retired from both the Royal and Merchant Navies, Jim
was awarded the South Atlantic Medal in 1982 when he was one of the volunteers who sailed
the QE2 to South Georgia during The Falklands conflict. Heartfelt thanks go to those who cared
for Jim during his final weeks;- the nursing staff on Ffynnon B at Holywell Community Hospital and those on Ward
7 at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd. Jim’s funeral service will take place at 2:00pm on Friday 18th October
2013 at Prestatyn Parish Church and thence to Bron y Nant Crematorium, Colwyn Bay at
3:30pm. We respectfully ask that there be family flowers only with donations gratefully received
in favour of The Royal British Legion. Any further enquiries to Tegid O Jones, Funeral Directors, 232 High Street,
Prestatyn.

http://www.bmdsonline.co.uk/31753706?s_source=tmnw_dapo

Lee Jonno
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2014, 11:51 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

leej

« Reply #17 on: Jun 19, 2014, 12:40 PM »
Nice one, Isabelle! ;D

leej

« Reply #18 on: Jun 19, 2014, 01:09 PM »
So, James Wheat b.1926 Runcorn, Cheshire, mothers maiden name 'Schofield'.
The only marriage, Wheat to Schofield, was in Runcorn in April, 1913.

George W Wheat 1882 - 1950 = Sarah Schofield

George's father was called James Wheat b.1853 a grocer with his own account, according to the 1901 Census and came from just up the road from me in Gainsborough, Lincs.
I am beginning to like this man/medal/research more and more.
I collect medals to the Lincolnshire Regiment, many from Gainsborough included and Lincolnshire chaps in general  ;)

Things are looking good ;)

Jonno

Offline CAP

« Reply #19 on: Jun 19, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Great work Jonno...

As a fellow researcher I fully understand the sense of achievement you get when your investigations come together as well as the motivation to continue the project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

leej

« Reply #20 on: Jun 19, 2014, 01:49 PM »
I made contact with the funeral directors and requested that they pass on my details to the family.

I will also send a handwritten letter for the attention of the family via the same company, requesting details of Jim's life, his time in the RN and his career with the QE2. If they still have them.
Of course, with the forum administrators permission, I will pass on the appropriate sentiments for the passing of Jim and anything that is received will be posted on here for all of his old friends to see.

As you say CAP (Captain or Combat Air Patrol? I think a few on here will remember that terminology, and a welcome sight, too.....the old GR3 Harrier :P) it gives a real sense of achievement or a warm feeling that someone who has gone on, wherever we are going, has been remembered and has a lasting image out there on the internet.

I will carry on my research into Jim.
However, work is calling........got to keep the wheels of industry turning. Good old Tata Steel.

If I see anymore QE2 SAMs or linked gongs, I will definitely be having a punt at a purchase.

Later

Jonno

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
« Reply #21 on: Jun 19, 2014, 03:31 PM »
good work Jonno, funny that both his family and I used the term 'a ready smile' - I'll raise a glass to Jim this evening.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #22 on: Jun 19, 2014, 06:30 PM »
A warm welcome to the forum from me Jonno.

It sounds as though your research is going very well and you have been able to compile a sizeable amount of information in a short space of time.

It is great that you have found some people here who knew Jim personally and who have been able to shed light on the character of the man in question. I hope as time goes on, that you will be able to build a fuller picture of Jims life and his time on QE2. I don't remember Jim personally although I am sure I would recognise him, as my time on board would have overlapped with his and our paths would almost certainly have crossed.

I narrowly missed out on the Falklands trip, I had left the QE2 just after the end of the 82 world cruise and was on holiday when it was announced that she had been requisitioned. By the time I got home and contacted my boss the place for the one photographer allowed had already been offered to one of my former colleagues Paul Guest.

Good luck with your continuing research and I look forward to hearing more about it.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #23 on: Jun 19, 2014, 06:47 PM »
Welcome, Jonno, to The Forum !  June 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

leej

« Reply #24 on: Jun 19, 2014, 08:59 PM »
Cheers for the welcome, Alan and June! ;)

Alan, I think if I had missed the chance of being a part of the history, I would have stowed away somewhere with my light meter, Leica and a large packed lunch. One more familiar face among a crowd :D (No digital cameras, then or mobiles to fire off! ???)

Jonno

leej

« Reply #25 on: Jun 19, 2014, 09:04 PM »
good work Jonno, funny that both his family and I used the term 'a ready smile' - I'll raise a glass to Jim this evening.

Yes, that struck me, too.
I'm raising a Crabbies to him, while watching England going down the head in Brazil. (latrine/chemibog to us rough squaddies!)
He does sound like a grand chap.
J

Offline Rod

« Reply #26 on: Jun 19, 2014, 10:05 PM »
From what I was able to glean Jim only served on QE and QE2.
He was indeed a true gentleman, that cared deeply about his family.Kind to all even if you made the most momentous mistake!

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
« Reply #27 on: Jun 19, 2014, 10:32 PM »
Thats one of the really nice things about this forum, we can share a brief moment remembering a shipmate and past good times. Thanks for that Jonno, and the forum-meisters. Cheers Jim
Willum

leej

« Reply #28 on: Jun 19, 2014, 11:15 PM »
Looks like he may have had some WW2 Royal Navy service as a young chap. My uncle served with the RN at the end of WW2 and had WW2 medal entitlement of 1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star & British War Medal, he was born a month after Jim in 1926.
I have prepared a letter this afternoon which will be posted to the funeral director and onto the family. Hopefully, they will pass it on.
Once I get my teeth into something like this, I like to crack on.

Cheers, Jim. Just having a quick Macallans'........rare stuff, I kid you not :o

J

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #29 on: Jun 20, 2014, 10:04 AM »
Good to see that your research is progressing so well.  I do a lot of family history research and have been in a similar situation where I have written to people I do not know for information and have been pleasantly surprised at how pleased they have been to hear from me and how much information they have been willing to to share. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

leej

James Wheat - Engineer, 1969 to 1986 born 1926
« Reply #30 on: Jun 20, 2014, 10:22 PM »
Hi Chaps ;)

Trying to locate details of Jimmy Wheat.
Photographs, details of Merchant and Royal Navy service, Falklands episode......anything at all, memories, anecdotes.....anything to do with this grand old lad who is no longer with us.
I have placed a thread in the 'Introduction' section, too.
As many of the good people on this forum already know.

Cheers
Lee Johnson (Jonno)

leej

« Reply #31 on: Jun 20, 2014, 10:38 PM »
The kindness and willingness of people to share what information they have is awesome.

I am hoping Jim's family feel the same way. The letter I am sending mentions the QE2 forum, the people who knew Jim, and the interest my asking questions has created. Of course, with his recent passing, I have been suitably respectful, offering the forum members condolences etc.

Now, not being a regular QE2 buff, the 'End of Steam' terminology I keep coming across refers to the change in engine types, I understand.
Obviously, it was the end of an era and the QE2's first run out was well celebrated.
I have located a crew photograph from that time. No doubt there are many out there, but can anyone identify Jim Wheat?
I know it is not a greatly detailed photo, but his position in the pic from someone else who has the pic.....if you get my drift, would be brilliant.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2018, 07:50 PM by Rob Lightbody »

leej

« Reply #32 on: Jun 20, 2014, 10:56 PM »
By the way, my avatar photo was taken by my father in our dining room, on the night I left to go South with my regiment.
I will never forget that evening.
My poor old Mum shed a tear as Dad gave me a lift to barracks. We had all been called back from leave early.
I had never seen Mum cry and it started me thinking, 'What the hell have I let myself in for?'
Knowing that both Mum and Dad had lost close relatives in WW2 and one in Malaya in 1957, everything just came into focus.
It is strange looking back as a middle aged old fart ???

Eeee! I was a fresh faced young smoothy in them days! 8) :o

« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2018, 07:50 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
« Reply #33 on: Jun 20, 2014, 11:29 PM »
Hello again.  Jim Wheat is there he's on the port side with the dark glasses (engineers don't do sunshine!)  If you look at the rotund officer on the far right of the front row, thats Brian Vickers, 2 rows behind him is an engineer with a beard, that's Martin Kay over Martins right shoulder is an Engineer with Cap and dark Glasses. J Wheat Esq,  I have that photo on my wall here, it was taken by a friend Glyn Genin of the FT who now works for Insight Guides. I'm there too, and so is my wife.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2014, 11:41 PM by Willum »
Willum

leej

« Reply #34 on: Jun 20, 2014, 11:34 PM »
Cheers for clearing that one up, Willum.
Top stuff, Willum!
I have found a basic image of him. At last! 8)

I spotted this photo on ebay, of all places.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2014, 12:32 AM by Jonno »

leej

« Reply #35 on: Jun 21, 2014, 12:28 AM »
Thanks for the position description, Willum. I will have a better look after 6-2 in the morning.

It would seem that Jim served on a few ships

Mauretania (the ship on which my Dad went to India, after he had ceased bomber ops.) Southampton to New York. 1952/53

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Mauretania_(1938)

Andria........ Liverpool to New York 1954  (Sunk in a collision with the Stockholm? I take it this is the same ship?)

http://rmhh.co.uk/ships/pages/Andria-1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Andrea_Doria

Arabia....... Liverpool to New York 1954

http://rmhh.co.uk/ships/pages/ss_arabia.html

Scythia....... London to New York 1951

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Scythia

Alsatia....... London to New York 1953

http://rmhh.co.uk/ships/pages/Alsatia.html

Franconia...Liverpool to New York 1955

http://rmhh.co.uk/ships/pages/Franconia.html

All on the ships Manifest and passenger lists listed as various grades of engineer.

J
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2014, 07:50 PM by Jonno »

leej

« Reply #36 on: Jun 21, 2014, 12:37 AM »
Nice one, Willum! ;D

GOT HIM! ;)

I should be in bed, now.
I'm on earlies int morning. Got a steel works to keep going! :'(

Back tomorrow!
Once again, thanks for your time and help!

Jonno

Offline Adam Ilgin

« Reply #37 on: Jun 21, 2014, 03:27 AM »
Welcome, Jonno.

leej

« Reply #38 on: Jun 21, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Cheers, Adam ;)
Just updated the info on Jim Wheat :D

Looks like Jim had a few siblings.

John S Wheat b.1916

Betty Wheat b.1920

Patricia Wheat b.1931

Jonno
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2014, 08:29 PM by Jonno »

Offline CAP

« Reply #39 on: Jun 22, 2014, 09:22 AM »

Andria........ Liverpool to New York 1954  (Sunk in a collision with the Stockholm? I take it this is the same ship?)

http://rmhh.co.uk/ships/pages/Andria-1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Andrea_Doria

Jonno,

Cunard's Andria (1) was not the ship involved in the collision with Stockholm, this was theAndrea Doria of Italian Lines.  This event took place in 1956.

leej

« Reply #40 on: Jun 22, 2014, 12:54 PM »
CAP
I did wonder about that one, the spelling and longer name threw mw a bit.
Have since found the Cunard site with their ships listed.
Cheers for the pointer, CAP.
Jonno

leej

« Reply #41 on: Jul 13, 2014, 10:10 PM »
Chaps

Here, courtesy of Willum, found on a Facebook entry, a nice but distant pic of our man Jim Wheat. :P

If anyone can find any more, Id be dead chuffed.

As you all know, Jim is the gent with the white hair.

Jonno

Offline Jane Crosthwaite

Re: James Wheat - Engineer, 1969 to 1986 born 1926
« Reply #42 on: Oct 23, 2014, 07:26 PM »
I have three images and think Jimmy Wheat might be in the third but not sure.  They were all taken in Caribbean on Queen Elizabeth in January 1968.  First one is Ron Bateson (well I recognise Dad!) with Ken Billington.  Second is Ken Billington and Les Swinnerton and third one which is most relevant to this thread lists as Jimmy Wheat (don't know who other chap is).  Do you think this is correct?

Jimmy Wheat's name is familiar to me as am sure dad was friendly with him and they would have been with Cunard at same time often serving on same ships as Dad was on QE for a number of years before joining QE2.  They were only three years apart in age and I note that they died within a few months of each other....

I also have boiler room and steam generator photos taken on same trip if anyone interested!  Typical dad.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #43 on: Oct 23, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Oh wow!  Such high quality fresh photos, incredible Jane.  I love that its on QE, just as she's ending her service life, and QE2's is about to begin.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline ship pro

« Reply #44 on: Oct 23, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Unfortunately none of those photos are of Jim Wheat.
The one on the previous posting is and he is with Adrian Jenkinson on the far right.

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #45 on: Oct 23, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Jim Wheat, on the right, with my old dad, in the old steam era MCR, QE2.
Full Away on Passage.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #46 on: Oct 23, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Wonderful photos !  Thank you very much for posting !   :D
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Jane Crosthwaite

« Reply #47 on: Oct 23, 2014, 10:21 PM »
Oh shame it wasn't the correct person and sorry I wasn't able to add a new photo for Jonno.   I wonder who they are then, sadly is a long time ago. 

Offline ship pro

« Reply #48 on: Oct 23, 2014, 10:26 PM »
That one is Jimmy and Angus

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #49 on: Oct 23, 2014, 11:33 PM »
Wonderful pictures, so fresh! And everyone in immaculate whites, as though they had never done a day's work ;) .

It is great to be able to identify people who cared for QE2 so well... I wish we could thank them now!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #50 on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:47 AM »
Wonderful photos from Jane and Neil, thanks for sharing
www.qe2event.com

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #51 on: Aug 31, 2015, 04:11 AM »
 '... gentle good manners and ready smile ' together with a 'shock of white hair' sums up Jimmy exactly.

Thank you for your time Jonno and your interest in an old shipmate of mine.  I would give anything to sit down and have a drink with Jimmy in the Wardie again - sadly, as time passes, there are so many former ship mates crossing the bar.

Offline Roy Hyde-Linaker

« Reply #52 on: Nov 24, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Jim lived in Prestatyn and enjoyed many happy years in retirement, sadly he passed  away a few years ago. RIP

https://funeral-notices.co.uk/Wales-North+Wales-North+Wales/death-notices/notice/WHEAT/1908530

James Aldred , QE2 Stage Manager 1991

Started by James AldredBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 3
Views: 2163
Last post Jun 22, 2012, 10:56 AM
by Louis De Sousa
QE2 Designer: James Gardner

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Concept and Design

Replies: 2
Views: 759
Last post Apr 08, 2018, 02:28 PM
by Twynkle