Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: The QE2 daily newspaper  (Read 4787 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: The QE2 daily newspaper
« Reply #20 on: Sep 20, 2015, 09:51 PM »
My sister, also a former QE2 photographer, is on holiday in Conneticut at present with two of her old friends who ran the QE2 Newspaper back in the late 70's. They both went on to work for the New York Times after leaving the ship.

They have just sent me a link to a story they published in the New York Times in 2003, it makes a nice read so thanks to Joan & Greg.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/28/travel/such-jobs-as-dreams-are-made-on.html

Thank you very much, Alan, for providing this link to your sister's and friends' article from 2003.  It is a marvelous read and I felt myself choking up while reading it. 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #21 on: Sep 20, 2015, 11:48 PM »
A lovely story from Alan's sister's friends. What a pity they did not sail onQE2 25 years on but I can relate to what they felt that the world was changing after 9/11 .
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #22 on: Sep 21, 2015, 12:42 PM »
Can we say telephone number ...
Spot on Rod!

Offline Kevin McGhee

« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2015, 07:22 PM »
My sister, also a former QE2 photographer, is on holiday in Conneticut at present with two of her old friends who ran the QE2 Newspaper back in the late 70's. They both went on to work for the New York Times after leaving the ship.

They have just sent me a link to a story they published in the New York Times in 2003, it makes a nice read so thanks to Joan & Greg.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/28/travel/such-jobs-as-dreams-are-made-on.html

Great article, it brings it all back! I remember this couple very well, and chatted with them a few times when I was a bartender in the Q4. They had such a difficult assignment, the only American 'crew' aboard and sent on to get rid of the Telegraph. They were very young with no experience of ships let alone the huge QE2 with its all British crew that did not take to change easily. They could be seen all around the ship, always unobtrusive, soaking it all in, the Ward Room, Crew Bar, all the Public Rooms and of course the print shop where the paper was printed by a printer who could be 'difficult'. They were always a pleasure to talk to and officers and crew alike would tell them their stories. I often wondered whose bold decision it was to employ them, possibly Ralph Bahna?

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #24 on: Jun 23, 2020, 01:31 PM »
Great article, it brings it all back! I remember this couple very well, and chatted with them a few times when I was a bartender in the Q4. They had such a difficult assignment, the only American 'crew' aboard and sent on to get rid of the Telegraph. They were very young with no experience of ships let alone the huge QE2 with its all British crew that did not take to change easily. They could be seen all around the ship, always unobtrusive, soaking it all in, the Ward Room, Crew Bar, all the Public Rooms and of course the print shop where the paper was printed by a printer who could be 'difficult'. They were always a pleasure to talk to and officers and crew alike would tell them their stories. I often wondered whose bold decision it was to employ them, possibly Ralph Bahna?

Dont remember a Greg & Joan but there was a Glen and Betty Adams running the paper for a while.