Author Topic: Discussions on QE2Story Jigsaws  (Read 6292 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Discussions on QE2Story Jigsaws
« Reply #20 on: Apr 09, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Any thoughts on some of the spectacular interior photos available ?
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #21 on: Apr 09, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Of course we'd have to have jigsaws of her interior. There are so many fantastic photos of her interior. I think that we should definitely include the midships lobby, yacht club, original double room, and possibly the princess grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #22 on: Apr 09, 2014, 10:42 PM »
I've had contact with Ravensburger before, about a year ago over a separate matter; they would be unlikely to add it to their general range because they normally work from a set list of artists / photographers.  This means we would have to cover the full costs up front and it would mean effectively either paying for a quite substantial run to make it viable on a unit cost and hope to sell them generally or facing a fairly highly priced jigsaw on an individual basis.

I have a contact in another jigsaw company which does quality puzzles and they are prepared to look at things suggested and offered to them; I will dig the name and e-mail out tomorrow and private message it to..... would that be Isabelle??
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #23 on: Apr 09, 2014, 10:47 PM »
I think that it would perhaps be best if we went to a company that just prints them, and then they could be sold on the QE2 Story website. There are plenty of sites out there that could be researched. I would have thought this would just involve getting orders of the jigsaws printed that can then be sold from the website (and be sent out to people) and perhaps sold in a few places that would be happy to sell our own jigsaws.

(Hopefully I'm making sense)
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2014, 10:49 PM by Adam Hodson »
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #24 on: Apr 09, 2014, 10:49 PM »
Many of those don't produce the same quality as the mainstream jigsaw companies, unfortunately - I have a few that have been made through such sources and the pieces are more often than not quite fragile.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #25 on: Apr 09, 2014, 10:51 PM »
Many of those don't produce the same quality as the mainstream jigsaw companies, unfortunately - I have a few that have been made through such sources and the pieces are more often than not quite fragile.

Ah I see (I did wounder whether they would be any good). Hopefully your contact in a jigsaw company will be able to help us.  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2014, 10:56 PM by Adam Hodson »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #26 on: Apr 09, 2014, 11:28 PM »
I have a contact in another jigsaw company which does quality puzzles and they are prepared to look at things suggested and offered to them; I will dig the name and e-mail out tomorrow and private message it to..... would that be Isabelle??

Interesting news, Peter -- good to hear from someone who has experience in the matter :) .

You could email the contact to us -- best thing would be to use the admin@theqe2story.com address, as all the Moderating Team have access to it. It would be good if you could already find out some more from your contact -- and if it is not confidential, you could post the information here directly.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #27 on: Apr 09, 2014, 11:33 PM »
Yes, I will use the admin address - and I would suggest that anyone else should do as well; we need a centrally co-ordinated approach to this rather than lots of us all trying to do the same thing don't we?

Perhaps it is best not to post details openly until the admin team are ready to - the last thing we need is to do all the legwork and then have external people taking advantage of that effort...

Online Graham Taylor

« Reply #28 on: Apr 10, 2014, 09:36 AM »

I've had contact with Ravensburger before, about a year ago over a separate matter; they would be unlikely to add it to their general range because they normally work from a set list of artists / photographers.  This means we would have to cover the full costs up front and it would mean effectively either paying for a quite substantial run to make it viable on a unit cost and hope to sell them generally or facing a fairly highly priced jigsaw on an individual basis.

The link I posted to the Ravensburger site specifically states that the company prints and produces jigsaws using a customers' own photo.

http://www.myravensburger.com/start/index.html?lang=en
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #29 on: Apr 10, 2014, 09:41 AM »
Great idea to have a QE2 jigsaw made either from Photo Competition winning photos or Forum members choice of photos from the Gallery that has so many beautiful photos. 

When searching for an online company to print the QE2 Story Calendars we initially had difficulty finding a company where members could order and pay direct to the company online, so that the money did not go through the forum's paypal account. This is something you may want to bear in mind when researching a company for the jigsaw. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #30 on: Apr 10, 2014, 03:40 PM »
I was really thinking of having the puzzles available through The QE2 Story Shop.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #31 on: Apr 10, 2014, 03:43 PM »
Yes, I will use the admin address - and I would suggest that anyone else should do as well; we need a centrally co-ordinated approach to this rather than lots of us all trying to do the same thing don't we?

Perhaps it is best not to post details openly until the admin team are ready to - the last thing we need is to do all the legwork and then have external people taking advantage of that effort...

Peter is right.  Is there a way to set up a topic here on The Forum that only those involved in the project can see and respond to ?

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #32 on: Apr 10, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Peter is right.  Is there a way to set up a topic here on The Forum that only those involved in the project can see and respond to ?

I did post this topic in the off topic section so that it would at least stop guests from seeing it, but I'm sure a moderator or Rob would be able to help with this.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2014, 04:16 PM by Adam Hodson »

« Reply #33 on: Apr 10, 2014, 04:09 PM »
I did post this topic in the off topic section so that it would at least stop guests from seeing it, but I'm sure a moderator or Rob would be able to help witht this.

I have just checked by logging out -- and yes, I can confirm on that basis that only logged-in Forum members can see this topic and indeed any others under the "Off-Topic Chat" board.

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #34 on: Apr 10, 2014, 04:17 PM »
Interesting how that jigsaw site appeared online then.

« Reply #35 on: Apr 10, 2014, 04:55 PM »
Interesting how that jigsaw site appeared online then.

The jigsaws were first mentioned in Hauke's thread where he had posted the lovely photo of QE2 under the flowering tree. I split the relevant posts off and merged them with the thread you had started here. At this stage, they are out of sight, but initially they were visible...

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #36 on: Apr 10, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Ah yes I remember now. Thanks for adding them in Isabelle.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #37 on: Apr 10, 2014, 05:43 PM »
Another jigsaw idea might be a collage of photos.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #38 on: Apr 10, 2014, 05:49 PM »
The link I posted to the Ravensburger site specifically states that the company prints and produces jigsaws using a customers' own photo.

http://www.myravensburger.com/start/index.html?lang=en

Please excuse me for being a bit late to the party on this topic but I have been heavily involved on another project and free time has been a little scarce.

I have just had a quick look at the Ravensburger site and Graham is absolutely right that they will produce Jigsaws from customers own photos but it certainly isn't cheap!

I found the following details on their website.

A 500 piece jigsaw measuring 36 x 49 cm (14 x 19 inches approximately) would cost roughly £24 plus another £11 for shipping.
A 1000 piece jigsaw measuring 49 x 70 cm (19 x 27 inches approximately) would cost roughly £25.50 plus another £11 for shipping

I was not able to find any mention of bulk discounts but it is a possibility they might discount for a sufficiently large quantity.

Another limiting factor is that they only ship within Europe and not to all European countries either.

I do think it is a great idea to have jigsaws available but just not sure of the best way to approach it so that we can get a reasonable quality without it costing a small fortune.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #39 on: Apr 10, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Thank you, Alan, for providing all of this information.