Author Topic: Discussions on QE2Story Jigsaws  (Read 18720 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Discussions on QE2Story Jigsaws
« Reply #15 on: Apr 09, 2014, 04:56 PM »
Ravensburger are high quality jigsaw puzzles.

If we could use them to build our own, that could be an excellent idea. With a jigsaw, it is really important that the cardboard used is strong and is well cut, and that the shapes are all a bit different, so there is something to be said in going for a reputable producer. The quality of the reproduction of the picture is also important, but to my mind a bit less so. Needless to say, Ravensburger would make a fine job of that too.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #16 on: Apr 09, 2014, 04:57 PM »
Thank you very much, Graham, for researching this and providing information regarding rights to the photos.  This seems an exciting prospect.  I will check out the sites.  June  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #17 on: Apr 09, 2014, 05:02 PM »
Ravensburger are high quality jigsaw puzzles.

If we could use them to build our own, that could be an excellent idea. With a jigsaw, it is really important that the cardboard used is strong and is well cut, and that the shapes are all a bit different, so there is something to be said in going for a reputable producer. The quality of the reproduction of the picture is also important, but to my mind a bit less so. Needless to say, Ravensburger would make a fine job of that too.

Hi Isabelle - Thank you very much for your post.  Ravensburger is one of the sites Graham mentioned as well.  Yes, agreed that the cardboard used must be strong and that it does not bend easily, and that the shapes are a bit different.  Shall we research Ravensburger further ?  June

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2014, 05:40 PM »
You all read my mind. I was about to suggest sites such as Ravensburger. Perhaps we could research them and get in contact with them?... I am into photography and this sort of thing so it's would be great if we produced our own jigsaws! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

« Reply #19 on: Apr 09, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Great to see this idea advancing so quickly!

Yes, it was in response to Graham's suggestion that I looked at the Ravensburger -- most of our jigsaws are by them, and are excellent, but I had not realised that they also produce special orders for customers!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #20 on: Apr 09, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Any thoughts on some of the spectacular interior photos available ?

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #21 on: Apr 09, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Of course we'd have to have jigsaws of her interior. There are so many fantastic photos of her interior. I think that we should definitely include the midships lobby, yacht club, original double room, and possibly the princess grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #22 on: Apr 09, 2014, 10:42 PM »
I've had contact with Ravensburger before, about a year ago over a separate matter; they would be unlikely to add it to their general range because they normally work from a set list of artists / photographers.  This means we would have to cover the full costs up front and it would mean effectively either paying for a quite substantial run to make it viable on a unit cost and hope to sell them generally or facing a fairly highly priced jigsaw on an individual basis.

I have a contact in another jigsaw company which does quality puzzles and they are prepared to look at things suggested and offered to them; I will dig the name and e-mail out tomorrow and private message it to..... would that be Isabelle??
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #23 on: Apr 09, 2014, 10:47 PM »
I think that it would perhaps be best if we went to a company that just prints them, and then they could be sold on the QE2 Story website. There are plenty of sites out there that could be researched. I would have thought this would just involve getting orders of the jigsaws printed that can then be sold from the website (and be sent out to people) and perhaps sold in a few places that would be happy to sell our own jigsaws.

(Hopefully I'm making sense)
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2014, 10:49 PM by Adam Hodson »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #24 on: Apr 09, 2014, 10:49 PM »
Many of those don't produce the same quality as the mainstream jigsaw companies, unfortunately - I have a few that have been made through such sources and the pieces are more often than not quite fragile.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #25 on: Apr 09, 2014, 10:51 PM »
Many of those don't produce the same quality as the mainstream jigsaw companies, unfortunately - I have a few that have been made through such sources and the pieces are more often than not quite fragile.

Ah I see (I did wounder whether they would be any good). Hopefully your contact in a jigsaw company will be able to help us.  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2014, 10:56 PM by Adam Hodson »

« Reply #26 on: Apr 09, 2014, 11:28 PM »
I have a contact in another jigsaw company which does quality puzzles and they are prepared to look at things suggested and offered to them; I will dig the name and e-mail out tomorrow and private message it to..... would that be Isabelle??

Interesting news, Peter -- good to hear from someone who has experience in the matter :) .

You could email the contact to us -- best thing would be to use the admin@theqe2story.com address, as all the Moderating Team have access to it. It would be good if you could already find out some more from your contact -- and if it is not confidential, you could post the information here directly.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #27 on: Apr 09, 2014, 11:33 PM »
Yes, I will use the admin address - and I would suggest that anyone else should do as well; we need a centrally co-ordinated approach to this rather than lots of us all trying to do the same thing don't we?

Perhaps it is best not to post details openly until the admin team are ready to - the last thing we need is to do all the legwork and then have external people taking advantage of that effort...

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #28 on: Apr 10, 2014, 09:36 AM »

I've had contact with Ravensburger before, about a year ago over a separate matter; they would be unlikely to add it to their general range because they normally work from a set list of artists / photographers.  This means we would have to cover the full costs up front and it would mean effectively either paying for a quite substantial run to make it viable on a unit cost and hope to sell them generally or facing a fairly highly priced jigsaw on an individual basis.

The link I posted to the Ravensburger site specifically states that the company prints and produces jigsaws using a customers' own photo.

http://www.myravensburger.com/start/index.html?lang=en
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK
BLUESKY - grahamtayloruk.bsky.social

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #29 on: Apr 10, 2014, 09:41 AM »
Great idea to have a QE2 jigsaw made either from Photo Competition winning photos or Forum members choice of photos from the Gallery that has so many beautiful photos. 

When searching for an online company to print the QE2 Story Calendars we initially had difficulty finding a company where members could order and pay direct to the company online, so that the money did not go through the forum's paypal account. This is something you may want to bear in mind when researching a company for the jigsaw. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com