Author Topic: Children's Room, Creche and Cinema  (Read 7580 times)

Online cunardqueen

Re: Children's Room Creche and Cinema
« Reply #20 on: Apr 14, 2014, 07:15 PM »
And in April 1987 enroute to New York it looked like this...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #21 on: Apr 14, 2014, 07:18 PM »
I remember reading about that leak on the forum. Were all the things in a pile part of the refit?
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Children's Room, Creche and Cinema
« Reply #22 on: Apr 15, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Here they are, embedded at last. Somehow poignant to see the very same scenes on Rob's photos in the deserted nursery three years later...

The nursery by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

Playing in the Nursery by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

Nursery Notice Board by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #23 on: Apr 15, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Thank you, Isabelle !  Wonderful photos with rooms now just waiting to be filled with happy children again...
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #24 on: Apr 15, 2014, 10:08 PM »
Here they are, embedded at last. Somehow poignant to see the very same scenes on Rob's photos in the deserted nursery three years later...

The first photo is the most poignant I think. There's a table on the right which didn't move an inch and which the vships crew had been using for board games. The children's play room was quite handy for them as it was close to the penthouses.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #25 on: Apr 16, 2014, 12:44 PM »
In Rob's photo you can see the passageway of the penthouse suites through the open forward door of the Children's Room.

Offline MiamiCunarder

« Reply #26 on: Apr 16, 2014, 12:52 PM »
I think I may have a shot or two taken inside the "teen chill out room", Club 2000, from my first voyage aboard. Will sift through my stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #27 on: Apr 16, 2015, 04:09 AM »
If I ever was on the QE2, the rooms I would never visit would be the children's facilities. (Except maybe Club 2000) There are so many more interesting aspects of the ship for me to discover than just sitting in a children's room!
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Greg Rudd

« Reply #28 on: Oct 15, 2015, 09:28 PM »
I had to look twice at the 1969 Childrens Room to make sure it wasn't where the "Web developers" live. The more 1969 QE2 I see, the more I love her.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #29 on: Jun 23, 2018, 03:29 PM »
I want to bring forward this topic for all of the great Children's Room photos and great commentaries !  :)

Offline Rod

« Reply #30 on: Jun 23, 2018, 03:41 PM »
Childrens room was also a popular place for staff parties and rehersals for the Wardroom show.

trevorc

« Reply #31 on: Jun 23, 2018, 05:26 PM »
Here's another view of the Children's Room looking forward.  The door in the center of the photo leads to the enclosed play area just aft of the old Sports Deck.  There are some great photos of this enclosed area in this string of posts especially reply #14 - https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,5697.msg58676.html#msg58676
Question. What are those red and white cubicles?

trevorc

« Reply #32 on: Jun 23, 2018, 05:28 PM »
And to round the story off, 3 years after Isabelle was there, and 42 years after our first photos, I saw it in Dubai. 

QE2 in Warm Lay-up in Dubai, April 25th 2011
by Rob Lightbody, on Flickr
I love the whales!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #33 on: Jun 23, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Childrens room was also a popular place for staff parties and rehersals for the Wardroom show.

Do you recall any especially interesting parties or rehearsals ?  :)

Offline Rod

« Reply #34 on: Jun 23, 2018, 10:02 PM »
Not for public airing, no.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #35 on: Jun 24, 2018, 01:36 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2019, 11:20 AM »
My connection with the Nursery is much the same as Bob C's but started generations later on my first voyage in August 2003, aged 6 - this being an example of how many generations QE2 touched in 39 years at sea and continues to touch in Dubai with children not born in 2008 visiting her now with their schools as shown on Instagram. The last time I recall being a part of the Nursery was in July 2005 on my third voyage as I was nearly 9 years old at the time.

I have vague memories of the Nursery itself and the time I spent there (it was quite separate from most of the rest of the ship physically and in being off limits for privacy and safety reasons) but the highlight of my connection with the Nursery was my first bridge visit in July 2005 on my third voyage onboard. We were led through to the bridge by the Nursery staff via one of the two doors at either end of the Nursery (the other door being the passenger entrance to the Nursery via a long staircase up from Boat Deck) and visited the bridge whilst transiting through a warm, sunny, and calm Bay of Biscay at 28.3 to 28.4 knots. The headwind that blasted me in the face when I stood on the compass binnacle platform and stuck my head up above the leading edge of the bridge wing (I was and still am quite short!) is something I will never forget and on that occasion the weather deflectors built into each bridge wing were not working unlike during my second bridge visit almost exactly three years to the day later in July 2008 (in similar weather and the Bay of Biscay but whilst travelling at around 23 knots) when I was tall enough to easily stick my head above the bridge wing's leading edge and the air was much calmer! Having my photo taken whilst at her wheel (on autopilot though!) was a highlight on both occasions but particularly when first visiting with the Nursery. Both visits have been a major inspiration for my dream career of being a deck officer.

I have embeded from my Flickr, a couple of the photos I took on my first bridge visit (note Ron Warwick's Captain's chair which started life as a Dentist's chair before being repurposed for QE2 by the owner of a bus company in the USA!) and one of the photos the Nursery staff took of me at the wheel at the time with my camera. Unfortunately either I didn't take many more photos on this bridge visit or photos have been lost over time maybe due to an SD Card corruption I had at one point on my camera.

Dad's QE2 Mediterranean digital photos, July 2005 by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2019, 11:25 AM »
Great memories Thomas.

Still find it amazing that those kinds of speeds were completely normal to QE2 day in, day out, but now are unheard of.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

« Reply #38 on: Jan 27, 2019, 02:20 PM »
With this and another picture of Thomas on the bridge, I am almost positive that that is not the original, as built wheel! Antone any ideas? I think the original was wood with spokes.

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #39 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:55 AM »
  This was the ships wheel as part of the sperry autopilot. Metal wheel with black resin-bakelite spokes handles
photo from 1984