Author Topic: QE2 Story get together on 175th Anniversary 2 July 2015 crossing  (Read 4116 times)

Offline southfielddane

As my wife and I have been fortunate to get a booking on the QM2 Commemorative Transatlantic crossing in July 2015 I wonder if there are any more fortunate QE2 forum members travelling on the same crossing and interested in having a get together on board?

Offline Grill Britannia

Hi there,
I had not noticed your post when I was doing a nosey on the goings on in Liverpool on 31st May 2014. Yes my husband Alan and myself are booked on the same crossing and would love to get together with other QE2 forum members.
Catherine and Alan Dunipace
QE2 Forever @RavelCat

Offline southfielddane

With 8 months left to go I am wondering if there are any more members out there able to join us? My wife and I are looking forward to meeting up with Catherine and Alan.
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2014, 11:19 PM by southfielddane »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
With 8 months left to go I am wondering if there are any more members out there able to join us? My wife and I are looking forward to meeting up with Catherine and Alan.

How about organising, somewhere in the Atlantic, "Cunard's 3 Clyde Queens - A reunion for those who travelled on the 3 Clyde built Queens" - Hosted by TheQE2Story.com - meet at 3pm in the Commodore Club to relive your old memories!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline southfielddane

That is a good idea. I will have to get a notice put in the daily news-sheet sometime after leaving Liverpool.

Offline Twynkle

That is a good idea. I will have to get a notice put in the daily news-sheet sometime after leaving Liverpool.

This will be Excellent!

(Just for info! Having organised a few get-togethers for QE2 'with TQS' - the numbers have grown and feedback has always been very positive - from both passengers and crew - it's proving to be a Good Thing to do! The best place to start is with the Cruise Director - he or she have helped enormously, with getting permission from the Captain, the room booking, publishing in Daily Programme as well as food, drink and sending an email ship-wide to all Officers and Crew!
On QM2 we used two of the Lounges down on either Deck One - and over 120 attended! From slowish beginnings, meeting in Golden Lions in ealyier days, - I did it on board QV earlier this year in the Yacht Club, and over 80 attended!
I'll post the links when time permits - and please do feel free to PM me, there are some useful tips - including going supplied with TQS 'labels'!)
All the best,
Rosie

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Hi Rosie,

Sounds marvellous!  Do you have any photos?

- Rob
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline highlander0108

As my wife and I have been fortunate to get a booking on the QM2 Commemorative Transatlantic crossing in July 2015 I wonder if there are any more fortunate QE2 forum members travelling on the same crossing and interested in having a get together on board?

I have a deposit on this historic trip.  Not sure how I am paying for the remainder, but excited nevertheless to be back on QM2, visiting Liverpool (cathedral concert!) and my first transatlantic on QM2.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline southfielddane

Thanks for these recent emails. I am going to take up Rosie`s suggestions and organise things on board. I have lots of video/photos taken on earlier voyages including the full final World cruise in 2008....so long ago now it seems but many happy memories. In these dark winter evenings it is great to put on the dvd of QE2 in Tahiti and live again those glorious South Pacific days!We spent a fantastic day in Moorea. We rented a car from `Albert`s Car Rental` and went right round the island. We bought a baguette from a local supermarket, had a picnic on the shore and then a swim in the beautiful warm waters of the lagoon. Ah!........................

Offline tdickson

If you don't mind me suggesting a different time for any re-union/get together, for a better response/numbers make sure your time doesn't coincide with any other major activity, you have mentioned 3.00pm (not good) competing against the queue for Afternoon Tea, or maybe live sport in the Golden Lion. Probably your best time to arrange an hour long meeting would be 11am -12noon after breakfast/before lunch. Good Luck   

Offline southfielddane

I`m glad to see things are becoming interesting! The suggestion of the 11am-noon slot is good. Any other suggestions for our QE2 Story get together will be most welcome.

Offline southfielddane

Some more details about the celebrations in Liverpool in Summer 2015 as given by the Liverpool Echo newspaper.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/river-ballet-see-three-queens-8381109

Offline Grill Britannia

Hi there,

As we are now all paid up for the crossing (our first time on QM2) I have just been back on this thread and pleased to see more responses.
Only 9 weeks tonight we will be in Southampton and the excitement will be building up nicely.
Apart from Michael's info. about the QE2 Day anniversary celebrations does anyone have any other info. about special events on this voyage?
The Cunard website seems to have more information about other 175th Anniversary sailings than there is about this one.
QE2 Forever @RavelCat

Offline southfielddane

With just 14 days left I assume everyone is getting ready for the trip to Southampton. I will be organising a get together on board so keep an eye on the Daily Programmes when we leave. Looking forward to meeting fellow forumites.....don`t forget your photos of QE2! If you have them on USB sticks Cunard may be able to let us show  some on a borrowed video projector :)

Offline Twynkle

Hi Southfieldane,
Thank you! It sounds as if all QE2's supporters on board will very much enjoy your Gathering.
Lots of good wishes
Rosie

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I think it is fabulous that there is to be a "QE2 Day" on board QM2.  Well done Cunard!  We will help promote this via tweets, Facebook and a mention in our newsletter.

If I'd been aboard for this trip (I wish! it was well out of my budget!!), I'd be helping "southfieldane" arrange a QE2 Story sponsored gathering... as the only QE2-specific forum for 6.5 years, it seems right!

I am compiling a roll call here - https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,6803.0.html - please add your name if you haven't already!
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2015, 11:59 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Twynkle

I think it is fabulous that there is to be a "QE2 Day" on board QM2.  Well done Cunard!  We will help promote this via tweets, Facebook and a mention in our newsletter.

If I'd been aboard for this trip (I wish! it was well out of my budget!!), I'd be helping "southfieldane" arrange a QE2 Story sponsored gathering... as the only QE2-specific forum for 6.5 years, it seems right!

I am compiling a roll call here - https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,6803.0.html - please add your name if you haven't already!

QE2 Get Togethers are always Good!
And sending every very best wish too, to Southfieldane - his plans sound Excellent.

Since QE2 reached Dubai - by personal reckonings, and as far as I'm aware,  there have been at the very least seven - one for each year, sometimes two, and spread between the three Cunard ships - each one attracting more than the previous Gathering.
As well as many Guests, these have included / involved / welcomed Crew from Commodore Rynd, Deck Officers, Crew members from many different departments, Engineers, Hotel Staff all the way through to the Housekeeping Night Gangs.
Many who sailed on board told sometimes hilarious, sometimes 'naughty' tales, and others with extremely interesting recollections, as well as sad stories.
We have been so fortunate - Rooms have been provided, emails sent to All departments and offers of help from the Entertainment team, the Executive Chef, the Bars, as well as many others! 
The first, on board  Queen Victoria drew several couples some of whom had met on board QE2, it was held in the Golden Lion with Gun, the lovely Social Hostess who was also missing QE2. 
Not the easiest of places to 'Gather as a Group - the remainder were in in places ranging from Boardrooms, Commodore Clubs, Hemispheres as well as Connexions, on board Queen Mary 2.
Rob - I have handed out very, very many of your TQS cards, and plan to take many more the next time we sail  ;)!
Each gathering has ended with a reminder of the Forum as well as praise for you and encouragement to all who've been present wishing to join in with their memories too.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2015, 05:49 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Grill Britannia

Hi Rosie,
Just to say great fun meeting you again this morning while watching QM2 arrive. Looking forward to meeting more forum members once we get onboard.
QE2 Forever @RavelCat

Offline Bruce Nicholls

Sorry we will not make it to Liverpool with Lone Gerd (for her lift out and new anti-fouling paint) until Sunday. Time and tide were against us. Have a fabulous voyage.

Offline Twynkle

Sorry we will not make it to Liverpool with Lone Gerd (for her lift out and new anti-fouling paint) until Sunday. Time and tide were against us. Have a fabulous voyage.

Hi Bruce and S,
Actually, although it's so sad that we can't meet up (this time!), you and Lone Gerd mightn't have enjoyed coming up the river yesterday pm, the storm was impressive with a breeze to match!
Although You would have missed the best Deck 7 rendering of every Liverpool song we could think of, you might have had a struggle as Mighty Mary almost filled the river as she did a twirl for the Liver Birds...they too were in good voice!! Here's the Echo's version of what might be of interest on Sunday
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/transatlantic-175-guide-qm2-liverpool-9562860

Happy Indepenence Day to all from across to where we are heading!

On board QUeen Mary2 there is great excitement, with very many passengers as well as Crew who  are looking forward to the day for QE2 tomorrow.
Rob, I have some cards, and will print out more , just really, really wish you were here too! R.
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2015, 06:48 AM by Twynkle »

2015 Archive - Poll for the April Photo of the month competition "Afternoon Tea"

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 15
Views: 5378
Last post Jun 02, 2014, 08:26 AM
by Cabin 2066
Master of Waverley - Peter Tambling's story

Started by TwynkleBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 1
Views: 2194
Last post Feb 12, 2012, 01:06 AM
by Tyne Turbine
4 July on board QE2

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 12
Views: 1309
Last post Dec 12, 2020, 03:51 PM
by Rod
Queen Mary 2 welcome to NY 2015

Started by shipnshoreBoard QE2's Successors

Replies: 2
Views: 158
Last post Mar 25, 2020, 10:38 AM
by shipnshore
QE2 in Dubai 2008-2015 (Louis' Photo Gallery on Flickr)

Started by Louis De SousaBoard Discussions about QE2 while laid up (2008 to 2018)

Replies: 1
Views: 907
Last post Dec 24, 2015, 08:56 AM
by Louis De Sousa