Author Topic: All the way to Svalbard  (Read 1864 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

All the way to Svalbard
« on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:15 PM »
The last time we saw here was in Geirangerfyord in 2006…from the QE2…the last two Clyde built liners together in the same spot…Then as the Mona Lisa she was looking tired, but i recall her passengers seemed to be enjoying themselves…

Well well, Mr T! Maybe we were on the same cruise together! I also remember seeing her in Geiranger Fjord -- and then again, years later, as Peace Boat in Yokohama... she was looking in much better condition that second time.

Offline Alex Tarry

Re: All the way to Svalbard
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:30 PM »
Thanks Isabelle…on that cruise we went all the way up to Longyearbyan, happily for us we were on Chief Engineer Paddy Hanvey's table, where we made several life-long friends.  I am not sure she ever made it back to Svalbard and it was on the same cruise, the following year that her sale was announced if I recall correctly…very happy memories...

« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2014, 11:34 PM »
Then we were definitely on the same cruise! We also went to Svalbard in 2006, and she only travelled that fabulous route once a year. She sailed there one more time in 2007, and I have a bridgecam photo of her passing Bear Island (which we did not see in 2006) :

Bjornoya Island 02.07.2007 by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

And I have just looked it up -- she was in Longyearbyen for a final time in June 2008.

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Thanks Isabelle, that cruise was one of the best holidays of our lives, it was the first 2 week holiday we'd been able to take in over 10 years and our first experiencing such luxury as the QE2!  We made several friends on that trip, including the Concorde Chief Engineer and lecturer Ian Smith and his lovely wife and Rebecca de Reus, who we later spent time with on the QM2…and of course we had dinner with John Hanvey most nights!  Wonderful.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2014, 10:38 PM »
We probably met here and there on the ship! I remember the Concorde Chief Engineer, and I also remember John Hanvey's party.

Some of my photos are here :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/sets/72157602146255315/

As you say, it was the voyage of a lifetime -- and we had such superb weather in Longyearbyen! My mother had been there once before, and the clouds that day were so low that she never caught sight of those magnificent mountains...

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2014, 11:27 PM »
Such wonderful photos!  This is the perfect excuse to dig mine out and look through…am I allowed to also say we were given some rather special access to the visitor book in the Ward Room…late one night, I recall Buzz Aldrin's comments as well as seeing notes from Alan Whicker, the former Chairman of Trafalgar House, "I wish I hadn't sold it!" etc… Do you know where that book is now? Thanks, Alex

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2014, 01:09 PM »
Isabelle,

I have just looked through your photos and there are some really great ones there, you have a good eye. I especially liked the one in Longyearbyen in front of the mountain. You should enter that in one of the photo of the month competitions as it would make a fabulous calendar picture.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:05 PM »
I especially liked the one in Longyearbyen in front of the mountain. You should enter that in one of the photo of the month competitions as it would make a fabulous calendar picture.

Thank you, Alan! Glad you had a look.

The picture you particularly like is a scan of a picture purchased on board; it was taken by one of your successors on the same day when we were there :

The QE2 by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

If we wanted it in the calendar, we would need Cunard's approval (assuming that the copyright is with Cunard). All the others (apart from the posed one in formal dress) are mine though.

Offline Rod

« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Such wonderful photos!  This is the perfect excuse to dig mine out and look through…am I allowed to also say we were given some rather special access to the visitor book in the Ward Room…late one night, I recall Buzz Aldrin's comments as well as seeing notes from Alan Whicker, the former Chairman of Trafalgar House, "I wish I hadn't sold it!" etc… Do you know where that book is now? Thanks, Alex

Absolutely beautiful photographs! To call them pics does not do them justice.
Personally, I would love to know the fate of the Wardroom Guest book as it was called.
The first page was signed across the page, by Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, that went from side to side, then underneath, in much smaller writing the signature of the Dule of Edinburgh, with this comment: "Normally I would have demanded a page to myself"
Sadly the book was signaturely abused, by one Wardroom President, who allowed un-famous people to sign it.
One of the entertainers...Jack Loghlan???? or some name like that, a magician or something, offered 1 million sterling for it.
The book resided in my cabin for 6 months while I was Wardroom President.

« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:39 PM »
The discussion on the Wardroom visitors' book continues here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3259.0.html