Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Stephen Payne's Queen Mary 2 Owners Workshop Manual  (Read 5923 times)

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
Stephen Payne's Queen Mary 2 Owners Workshop Manual
« on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:28 PM »
I'd be curious to ask Stephen Payne what he'd do differently if he was asked to design her now.

Actually, Stephen Payne answers to this question - and to many others - in his new book "RMS Queen Mary 2 Owners' Workshop Manual" that has just been published:

Click here for link to Book

A very captivating read, full of interesting facts and anecdotes, lots of pictures, and tons of first-hand information about this great ship.
I am currently reading it and enjoying it very much.

One of the things he would reconfigure is the Lookout - on top of the bridge - to provide a better view...

Maybe other places but I haven't finished reading.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2014, 02:04 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Stephen Payne's Queen Mary 2 Owners Workshop Manual
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:39 PM »
Actually, Stephen Payne answers to this question - and to many others - in his new book "RMS Queen Mary 2 Owners' Workshop Manual" that has just been published:

A very captivating read, full of interesting facts and anecdotes, lots of pictures, and tons of first-hand information about this great ship.
I am currently reading it and enjoying it very much.

One of the things he would reconfigure is the Lookout - on top of the bridge - to provide a better view...

Maybe other places but I haven't finished reading.

Fantastic!  Thank you.  Ordering my copy now!  Just sad that there will never be a QE2 one... these things always bring home to me that she's gone, and no longer the centre of attention.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2014, 02:04 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2014, 02:07 PM »
My copy arrived this morning, and its EXACTLY the book I've always wanted about Queen Mary 2.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

If you're in the UK, and want to purchase it from Amazon UK while helping our website funds, please use this link

For both QE2 and QM2, its the engineering that fascinates me first and foremost, and their unique strength, power and the way they're built for a different purpose to every other cruise ship.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2014, 03:20 PM »
There is a Cunard version, with an additional section, being printed which will be used as a gift for those travelling on the 9 and 16 May crossings (the birthday crossings).

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2014, 03:24 PM »
There is a Cunard version, with an additional section, being printed which will be used as a gift for those travelling on the 9 and 16 May crossings (the birthday crossings).

Great!

I see you get a very nice mention in this one Michael, well done for the work you put into it.

Now, next we need a QE2 one, and we can send it to Dubai...

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2014, 03:51 PM »

Now, next we need a QE2 one, and we can send it to Dubai...

Along with a big shovel so they can attempt to dig themselves out of the s*** !! (Of course I mean sand)   ::)
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2014, 04:01 PM »
My copy arrived this morning, and its EXACTLY the book I've always wanted about Queen Mary 2.

If you're in the UK, and want to purchase it from Amazon UK while helping our website funds, please use this link

For both QE2 and QM2, its the engineering that fascinates me first and foremost, and their unique strength, power and the way they're built for a different purpose to every other cruise ship.

Sounds really interesting and as I do not have a book on QM2 I have just ordered a copy using the link that Rob gave in his post above. 

Another book to add to my collection.   :)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2014, 04:09 PM »
There is a QE2 one coming... can't say too much at the moment!

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Anticipation!

Offline Rod

« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Isn't it funny???? I have very little desire to read any books about anything after QE2. Yes I would probably read it, but would not be bothered if I didn't!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Isn't it funny???? I have very little desire to read any books about anything after QE2. Yes I would probably read it, but would not be bothered if I didn't!

Totally understand!  However quite a lot of the book, one way or the other, is about QE2 - about the lessons learned and applied to QM2.

Offline andyh

« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:01 AM »
Just ordered my copy using Rob's link

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2014, 10:03 AM »

I order my copy last week-end and it arrived on Thursday and so far I have enjoyed reading the book which is a good size and easy to read.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline tdickson

« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2014, 09:08 AM »
Received my copy yesterday, and I have to say 'Excellent Read & Value for Money'
A must in anyones collection

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2014, 06:17 PM »
  Isn't it funny? I have very little desire to read any books about anything after QE2. 
Dare l say the same could be said for cruises... ::)

You have said enough..all we need now is when, where and how... :)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2014, 06:04 PM »
Totally understand!  However quite a lot of the book, one way or the other, is about QE2 - about the lessons learned and applied to QM2.

Having read Rob's post, I just ordered my QM2 book and look forward to its arrival.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2014, 02:02 PM »
My QM2 "owners manual" just arrived in the post yesterday, and I spent some time in the evening skimming through parts.  It is really very good with many references to and pictures of our beloved QE2.  It contains quite a bit of technical information which I especially like when reading about ships.  I am looking forward to starting to read it in entirety.  It would be wonderful indeed if there were ever a QE2 "owners workshop manual" with even more technical information about QE2. 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline John Grace

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 05:22 AM »
I have not read Stephen's book... I will try and get a copy as I'm sure there are things in it that I could add too or even provide additional information as I was the Technical Site Manager during the construction. I may even have a different slant on some of the happenings.... it was a tough build in which I put in twelve/fourteen/sixteen hour days every day... dealing with the French was an experience not to be forgotten.... I developed a data base in Access for recording the construction and its inspections and to this day I look back at some of the things we did and had to compromise on and wonder how we did it. If it hadn't been for the assistance of the first QM2 engineers and mates that came to the yard to familiarize themselves with the ship and in doing so helped the building inspection team we would not have been able, towards the end of the construction, to cover all the inspections the yard scheduled.... their help was invaluable and I am forever grateful to them for it. I have photographs covering the entire build from when the first plates of steel were put in the building dock to when she sailed out....these I have put in my own books and I have also written an account (for myself) of what it was like to be on the construction... this latter document totals over three hundred pages and gives insights into meetings and their outcomes and the different personalities involved and frictions between people on the team and the team and the yard managers.... it was not all harmony and sweet smelling roses.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 06:11 PM »
Have you ever given a thought to self publishing, ie with Lulu print your own books on demand. Im sure there would be a great readership out there. As someone who built QM2. Can you imagine building QE2.... ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline John Grace

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 12:41 AM »
I think I'll look into doing the self-publishing thing.... It would be a challenge as I have so much information and pictures there would be a need to par down the content to avoid a book of a burdensome weight and yet keep the essentials... of course at the time of building it was all essential.